Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am new to this site as a member, though I have read many threads on here. I currently own 2 Outbacks, both are 2001 and both have the H6 3.0 which is a terrific motor. Mine is a LL Bean and the fiances is a VDC.
She is completely sold on the VDC system. Her car is getting a little long in the tooth at 188k miles with some road rash and we are looking to replace it.

I have looked at the generation 3 models and am apprehensive due to the lower MPG (I am sold on the 3.0 motor and intend to stick with it), and issues I hear about ghost walking. The new cars are more than we want to spend. We are considering cars 2001 or newer and might get an early 3rd generation if we can find a good deal on one.

I read that VDC is now standard equipment on all current year models. We want her next car to also have VDC. My questions are when did VDC become standard equipment? Also, how may I identify cars between the 2001 (which was badged with a "VDC" emblem) and 2012 that have the VDC system?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Hello all

I am new to this site as a member, though I have read many threads on here. I currently own 2 Outbacks, both are 2001 and both have the H6 3.0 which is a terrific motor. Mine is a LL Bean and the fiances is a VDC.
She is completely sold on the VDC system. Her car is getting a little long in the tooth at 188k miles with some road rash and we are looking to replace it.

I have looked at the generation 3 models and am apprehensive due to the lower MPG (I am sold on the 3.0 motor and intend to stick with it), and issues I hear about ghost walking. The new cars are more than we want to spend. We are considering cars 2001 or newer and might get an early 3rd generation if we can find a good deal on one.

I read that VDC is now standard equipment on all current year models. We want her next car to also have VDC. My questions are when did VDC become standard equipment? Also, how may I identify cars between the 2001 (which was badged with a "VDC" emblem) and 2012 that have the VDC system?

Thanks for the replies.
I agree with you on the H6...that motor is lightyears better than the H4s. For the H6 cars, VDC was only offered on "VDC" models until 2007, where it was standard on the L.L. Bean (I think the L.L. Bean was the only H6 wagon offered in 2007). In 2008, it was *almost* standard...came on everything but the basic Outback and the 2.5i. In 2009 it was standard on everything.

cars101.com has all the info you could ever want on this.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you on the H6...that motor is lightyears better than the H4s. For the H6 cars, VDC was only offered on "VDC" models until 2007, where it was standard on the L.L. Bean (I think the L.L. Bean was the only H6 wagon offered in 2007). In 2008, it was *almost* standard...came on everything but the basic Outback and the 2.5i. In 2009 it was standard on everything.

cars101.com has all the info you could ever want on this.
Woohoo
Thanks for the quick and great reply.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you are in the market searching for something used with VDC, do not overlook the Tribeca on which it is standard.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Keep in mind that VDC is Subaru's initialism for Electronic Stability control. There are a few different types. In my experience the VDC with VTD (variable torque distribution) is very good. Our 2002 VDC OB wagon had it and our 06 Tribeca has VTD. So does my 2010 Legacy 3.6R Our Scoobymods website is down now so I can't get you a link but for the most part only the H6 has VTD, there are a couple exceptions though. When VDC became standard on the 4-cylinders, they didn't include VTD.

Found this though:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/explanation-continuous-active-and-vtd-awd-systems-honest-attempt-48112.html

·
Registered
320 Posts
Government regulations from NHTSA or a requirement for a certain level of safety (number of stars required such) made VDC standard on all Subaru vehicles in the 2009 model year. If I recall, it was a regulation required for all car manufacturers so Toyota, Honda, etc. all followed suit in model year 2009 or thereafter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2001, 2.5, Outback. How would I know if it has VDC, i.e. how would I identify it? I'm having slight problems with the car, VDC OFF light is coming on once in a while. When VDC light stays on the CHECK ENGINE light also comes on. Then after some time (1 - 3 minutes), they both go off. And then it repeats itself.
It kind of seems natural that the car is equipped with VDC, since the light is coming on, but I want to know how to identify it.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Found this thread on here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/16156-how-identify-vdc.html

Well both VDC and VDC OFF light light up in the top left corner of my dash, so I think I will conclude that the car is fitted with VDC.

But if anybody does have a more physical description of identifying this, please post it on here.

Have a good one,
Geir, Reykjavik, (N)Iceland
I am not familiar with Subarus sold in Iceland but in the USA in 2001 the only model with VDC was the VDC Outback 6 cyl.. Even the LL Bean model did not have VDC. BTW my 2001 VDC Outback was still running strong with 228K but I retired the car because of excess rust on the under body.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Found this thread on here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/16156-how-identify-vdc.html

Well both VDC and VDC OFF light light up in the top left corner of my dash, so I think I will conclude that the car is fitted with VDC.

But if anybody does have a more physical description of identifying this, please post it on here.

Have a good one,
Geir, Reykjavik, (N)Iceland
2001 was the first year Subaru introduced VDC in the US. However VDC only came with the H6 motor. Which one do you have? In 2001 Subaru did not install a VDC off button but unless someone debadged your car there will be VDC emblems outside the car. Also, I believe the car would be equipped with a McIntosh stereo and a Wood insert steering wheel. At least our 2002 VDC Outback was.

Does your light illuminate or is there just a spot for one? Also, the VDC only worked with VTD AFAIK and that only came with the 5EAT transmission on the H6. This is all for the US though so I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks guys. The lights illuminate when I switch on the car and then go out ones that car is running.
The motor in this one was rebuilt with 200.000 km on the ODO and is now fast approaching 300.000 km (293.000 km).
I'm told buy the guy that helped me rebuild the motor, who worked for the Subaru dealership here in Iceland, that two common reasons for this in the older Subarus are:

* faulty knock sensor (which does fit the description, because I replaced when a similar problem arose about 2 years ago, using a used knock sensor)
* worn tires or unequal air pressure, affecting the VDC

Will post later on if the problem is solved.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
older VDC obw is easy to check on snow or anything whats slippery . just press gas pedal and see whats happens. VDC will cut off engine power right away, same time light on dash will light up to show traction sign. with VDC off that light wont go on, but then VDC off sign will light up.
physicly to check open fuse box under hood and see do you have FWD fuse or VDC fuse there.
you can have simple H4 '01 model without any signs of VDC and without any buttons. just lights on dash and fuse. thats what i got.
couple times i got some failures..like im driving car and ABS with VDC lights came on. i stopped car, turned off. started again and its all good again. could be just simple ABS cable defect or bad contact or ABS sensor damage and those lights will come on.
then inside car in fuse box you will have couple fuses for ABS and VDC too.
VDC light will come on any time there is something wrong with ABS or with brakes . it does not mean VDC have problem , just ABS.
best thing is to have real VDC off switch without way for it t come alive again. ABS still works thou so you can have fun and not die still .. most fun its in snow...its just made for snow.. its like when it was snow here everyday i thought : omg its best day ever.. when all other ppl where going to work in buses or driving realy slow because snow...and waited until snow will melt..and i just wanted give me more snow more !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
scalman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing