Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 OB has 43,000 miles on it and has never pulled a tailer or done any heavy weight commuting. Brakes have had an easy life. Just wondering how many miles I should expect to do before needing brakes redone. What has been your experience for Fronts? Rears? Are rotors designed to be resurfaced or not? Most cars I've had , including a Forester have needed brakes around 45,000 mi...

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
It going to depend very strongly on how the car is driven. The way some people drive they're lucky to get 36,000 before needing new pads. I'm at almost 66,000 and just had it serviced - report was the (original) brakes are still good. I tend to go easy on brakes by anticipating what's going to happen (things like not hurrying up so I can stop at the next red light a few seconds sooner).

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The answer to your question is "it depends". The only REAL answer is the have the brakes checked regularly. Do not forget that the 'squeelers' will make a screeching sound before the pads are fully warn down.

Beware that the brakes are also applied by the ABS system under specific conditions. Here are some examples:

*) The "brake proportioning" system will apply the brakes to individual wheels to help balance wheel-grip.

*) The AWD system relies heavily on the brakes. If you drive in the snow, the brakes will wear faster as the computer applies the brakes on the wheels which are detected to spin.

*) Also, some newer Subaru will apply the front-inner brake to help pull the vehicle thru turns. It has been said that this wears the front brakes during spirited cornering.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The answer to your question is "it depends". The only REAL answer is the have the brakes checked regularly. Do not forget that the 'squeelers' will make a screeching sound before the pads are fully warn down.

Beware that the brakes are also applied by the ABS system under specific conditions. Here are some examples:

*) The "brake proportioning" system will apply the brakes to individual wheels to help balance wheel-grip.

*) The AWD system relies heavily on the brakes. If you drive in the snow, the brakes will wear faster as the computer applies the brakes on the wheels which are detected to spin.

*) Also, some newer Subaru will apply the front-inner brake to help pull the vehicle thru turns. It has been said that this wears the front brakes during spirited cornering.
Also the electronic brake force distribution (EBD) can allow the rear brake to supply a greater proportion of the braking force depending on speed and load.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Our '11 Legacy is at 94,000 on O.E., must be my driving style. Full set of pads have been on the shelf since 50K. They will get changed with the next fluid flush.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wonder if the friction material in the pads has improved considerably, or maybe the pads are just much thicker nowadays, but my last couple of vehicles (mid sized SUVs) got 80K+ miles on the fronts and 90K+ on the rears. That would've been unheard of 20 years ago. I live in the same place and drive the same way, so it's not that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts