Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premier White
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, So I've done my best at trying to find speakers 8 and 9.
locations totals
2 are on the top of the Dash. 2
2 are in the front doors 4
2 are in the rear doors 6
Sub Woofer in the rear cargo 7
Missing 8 and 9

Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP
50 Posts
The rear doors are actually a sort of compact component setup. The tweeters are mounted with the woofers but separate. I guess it makes sense. If the front two tweeters count then these would as well.

Here's a pic from somewhere else on these forums (found through google image search so I don't know which thread):

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
The DSP used in the HK system doesn't give much output to the rears. They are for filler. Even when "faded" more to the rear they are lacking. Also any rear fading negativly impacts the front soundstage a great deal. The more fade the worse the fronts sound.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R Ltd.
5 Posts
The rear door speakers get no bass from the amp (cuts off around 500 Hz).

Front door speakers are woofers only. The signal to them cuts out above 500 Hz.

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Sounds similar to the "11 speaker" McIntosh system that was in my car. Also, using the front doors as midbass only and putting all the imaging up in the dash makes a lot of sense acoustically since the lower frequencies are non-directional, you can't really tell much where they're coming from.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
I purchased the HK system for better sound. It just gave me more to replace and more work to do.

·
Registered
2003, Outback sedan, H6
2 Posts
Jeremy

I was thinking of adding an amplifier and box with subwoofers to my 2013 Outback Limited with HK sound (no Nav). But i worry Car Toys is going to tell me "you don't have RCA outputs, and you need a new head unit".
Is the stock stereo going to be able to provide enough power output to not need to upgrade the head unit? I don't want to pull the stereo until i know what is back there....

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
There are no RCA style connections on the OEM H/U, but you can purchase a Line Output Convertor (LOC) that converts speaker level signal to an RCA connector that is compatible with most any amp. The easiest solution for most people is to replace the H/U with an aftermarket solution, but everyone has there own opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts