Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to buy a 2018 Outback Limited or Touring... I have been on the internet searching, and searching, and throughout a couple of forums... are there not any performance upgrades for Outbacks? Downpipes? Exhaust (other than universal)? Tuners? Intakes? Anything?

I feel bamboozled..
Anyone have any information contrary to this?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
There are nearly no performance parts available for the Outback, and it's been that way ever since the Legacy GT (closest performance-related cousin) was discontinued in 2012.

I'm pretty sure Ed from XRT (west_minist on this forum) is already offering performance tuning for these models. He can turn out some nice tweaks even if there aren't parts to support bigger gains like there used to be in the older Outbacks.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
643 Posts
If you're looking for a hot rod, get the WRX, plain or STI. Maybe the Forester XT. Outback owners...aren't looking for 'performance' that's beyond what the stock car is able to do.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
I appreciate that! Ill contact him. What about universal exhausts??? Tryin to get a deeper sound.
Best bet is the local muffler shop. They've got the experience to help you get the sound you want, and since there aren't any kit options there's no reason not to go full custom. A good shop can weld up a quality system for cheap.

Just going from what has worked in the past- keep the stock resonator (mid-pipe) or suffer massively loud drone on the highway. Change only the muffler at the back end to refine the sound to your tastes.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,379 Posts
There are not, nor are they marketed as performance vehicles.

Small market share, nobody is interested in developing stuff.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention- if you're in the market for a massive power upgrade, Raptor just announced their kit supporting the 5th generation USA Outback. There is a currently active thread about it but I couldn't find it just now.

I'm sure they have a price posted somewhere, but from what I've heard you should expect to invest $10-12k in a successful setup.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts
Im about to buy a 2018 Outback Limited or Touring... I have been on the internet searching, and searching, and throughout a couple of forums... are there not any performance upgrades for Outbacks? Downpipes? Exhaust (other than universal)? Tuners? Intakes? Anything?

I feel bamboozled..
Anyone have any information contrary to this?
Yeah...some joker is making thses...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-3-6r-fsb-performance-bushing-interested.html

But nobody is really all that interested. You must not have searched this site. All three of theses are in the performance section here.

And to restate...XRT tunes Gen5 3.6 and 2.5 cars.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...baru-cvt-tuning-xtreme-racing-tuning-xrt.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...88569-xrt-christmas-2016-special-gen-5-a.html

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
646 Posts
I have done a few mods on my '17 OB Limited 3.6 and am very happy the way it performs and sounds now, compared to stock. XRT (Ed's) tune is amazing in that it not only tunes the ECU, but also the CVT to make harder, firm shifts. Plus there is a lifetime customer support for this tunes.

I have a custom Magnaflow exhaust with Magnaflow resonator, and two Magnaflow mufflers. I used the chrome Subaru tips on the rear to make it look more sporty.

Adding the 19MM rear sway bar, and SSD front strut tower brace has made the Outback handle MUCH better than stock. I know my car is no STI, but it drives and handles very very well for a "family station wagon." I have surprised a few other cars on the road with how quick I am.

The stock airbox is good as it is, but I did drop in an AFE air filter when I was doing my other mods.

Good luck!

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.