Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was browsing the gallery on this site and I noticed a 2nd Gen that had a nicer OEM looking cubby and switches that sits underneath the radio head unit. Is this a European only feature or something I can find in a junkyard?

·
Registered
2001 Subaru LMT Sedan
28 Posts
that's kinda cool looking..Those switches are on the left side in our cars, no idea why they put them there..

What type of headunit is that? it looks factory.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Ditto. Closest I've seen are the VDC cars that have the VDC ON/OFF switch there. Must be a euro thing.

Slobo: Given that it says "Kenwood" that would be my guess :-D. Not factory.

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
Exactly :) And it is mine :D

The Panel underneath the radio comes stock in Europe when you have a double din radio. It is there because the EU Models need more switches as the US ones. We have rear fog lights and a headlight power adjustment mandatory on all cars.
So next to the steering wheel we have: headlight adjustment / front fogs / rear fogs.

Underneath the radio there is the cruise control / windshield wiper heaters / control light for the turnsignals of the trailer (aftermarket and mandatory)

The radio is a Kenwood DPX503U indeed. I just installed it last friday and I chose it for the factory look.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you like to start exporting the switch panel to the US for some interested members?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well I would have to order them at the dealership b/c used Subaru parts are very very hard to find here. I went to three different junkyards in the last weeks/month and only once I saw a Subaru but that was <1999 Impreza. Hardly any Subarus on the road as well.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a bummer. I wonder if we got a part number if the Subaru dealerships in the states would be able to order it.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,093 Posts
Would you like to start exporting the switch panel to the US for some interested members?
I'll second that. I could modify it for data and or switching on the VDC.

I'll send the pic to Tim in Melbourne and see what he can find.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No rush. We've lived without this part for how long now...I think we can wait a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,093 Posts
Tim at Raptor said no go. He's never seen it on Ausie models and he's been building on Subies a long time.

Maybe do a euro google search? Who can find it first?

Go!

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
Crossgolf, could we get a pic of what switches you have to the left of your steering column? I can see that the ones in that cubby/panel include the Cruise switch on the left, and I'm going to guess that middle one is maybe a headlight washer (required in some European countries), and based on what you've said the right hand switch is your headlight adjuster. I can see where that panel might be a good place to put a fog light labeled switch for accessory lighting, and that wiper labeled switch could find some interesting use too - like an auxiliary manual washer for the windshield (getting the idea from another thread ). I'm sure someone can come up with a 3rd switch usage as well.

Even if the item had to be dealer ordered, chances are you just simply can not order such a part elsewhere in the world. Odd how a part that isn't emissions or in some other fashion counter to local regulations still can't be directly ordered and shipped from the same company.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not my car but the same switches:
http://imgur.com/Um9h
headlight adjustment / front foglights / rear fog lights

(In Europe headlights washers are only required for cars with HID (plus automatic headlight adjustment with sensors))

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey guys I worked on the Radio today and looked at the numbers on the panel.

There is a sticker on the bottom which says:
R38
A000918C0359

And the imprints on the back read:
Made in Japan
>PC+ABS< SAE [PC+ABS]
LH

I am guessing that there is a LH and RH version of these.
I hope your dealers can help you out

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.