Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obvious for a lot of people, but if you don't know ask, right?

Does someone have a pic of where one would look to check for a HG leak? Ideally a pic of a leaking HG and non-leaking side by side.

Shopping for a 2nd Gen Outback in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Look for oil leaks. More or less check the under side for any heavy grease build up and muck. I personally do not like buying cars that were power washed given the seller can be hiding problems by washing away the evidence.

Best advice in todays used car market - buy from private sellers only and have a good subaru shop inspect the car. 03 - 04's sold by a dealer I wouldn't touch them with a 20ft pole.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for oil leaks. More or less check the under side for any heavy grease build up and muck. I personally do not like buying cars that were power washed given the seller can be hiding problems by washing away the evidence.

Best advice in todays used car market - buy from private sellers only and have a good subaru shop inspect the car. 03 - 04's sold by a dealer I wouldn't touch them with a 20ft pole.
Thanks...I've always looked at engines with a flashlight for any leaks, fluids, slimes, etc that seemed out of place. Powerwashing does suck in that way. I wonder how long of a test drive you would need to get a leak show? Probably more than you're gonna do in 30-40 mins.

There's two 03's (both under <65K w/ one owner) in Knoxville right now that look sweet and now you have me wondering.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
A seller with nothing to hide - doesn't bother power washing ;-)

I didn't power wash my 93 LC when I sold it. Made it far far easier to sell when said buyer sees that it was 100% leak free and clean with proper records and lots of the old LC work already done. Got $7000 for it top dollar. And the buyer was thrilled to death drove it 18hrs home after flying it to pick it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts