Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i 4EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was poking around in my engine compartment today and found this wire (picture attached) just floating around going from the negative battery terminal. It looks like a ground but i don’t know where it is supposed to be bolted to. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
17,176 Posts
It looks like a ground but i don’t know where it is supposed to be bolted to.
Yes, it looks like the main ground battery cable from the battery negative post down to the starter.

IMG_4388.JPG

The bracket is attached to the engine by the upper starter mounting bolt. Is the bolt missing? Starter working well? Even more interesting: Has it been starting well with that cable off?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i 4EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies, the bolt is missing but it has been starting just fine :unsure: . Hasn’t had a clutch fitted, but it has gotten a lot or engine work done in the past couple of months. Very strange...

·
Registered
17,176 Posts
the bolt is missing but it has been starting just fine
Interesting. When you first saw the loose cable, was it resting on the engine or transmission, or hanging in a way that the end of the cable and bracket were not making contact with any ground?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i 4EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can’t remember exactly, but it appeared to have been resting along with another ground cable, and was floating near the steering column.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
197 Posts
Hasn’t had a clutch fitted, but it has gotten a lot or engine work done in the past couple of months. Very strange...
I've had situations where mechanics disconnect something and either don't notice or forget to reconnect. I would assume this is in the forget to reconnect department because you couldn't somehow accidentally disconnect that cable.

·
Registered
17,176 Posts
I can’t remember exactly, but it appeared to have been resting along with another ground cable, and was floating near the steering column.
So, starter and engine etc., electrical ground connection back to the battery negative was through the body to the smaller ground wire attached to the driver side strut tower behind the fuse box, if it's intact. Interesting that there were no starting/running symptoms.

The loose ground cable, at least on my 07, goes into the wrapped bundle that is visible in the lower part of the photo. The other cable wrapped with it is the positive cable from the battery to the starter solenoid. See circled part in this photo:
cable.jpeg

Going to replace the bolt? And what about that other ground cable? Where does it go?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i 4EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a bolt that fit perfectly lying around so I reattached it. The body ground was where it was supposed to be, all the other cables appear to be in the right place. Now that i think about it, there have been a couple of strange times where it took a little long to start and it wasn’t too cold out, but nothing crazy strange or inconsistent. I think i may have just gotten lucky with the body ground somehow making its way over to also ground the starter, or the cable somehow sitting just right to make a connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts