Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing my oil today on my 2002 Subaru Outback 3.0 Bean, when i turned the key to the on position, i noticed i saw no oil indicator symbol. Was only a few lights lit up with the key on. I thought all indicators light up in on position to check them to be working? Don't tell me i have that many burned out? I do have 153,000 on it. Is there anything else that could cause this? I do have the ABS pump motor big fuse under the hood pulled, for driving in the snow. ABS light is on. I know when i changed oil other times my oil pressure symbol was working. I have a habit of watching it go out on oil changes. Any ideas greatly appreciated guys. My poor old bean. lol.

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,147 Posts
It's possible that the pressure switch has failed open (not common with the OE ones, but I've seen it with aftermarket switches, I just replaced mine for the same reason).

Or, maybe you accidently unplugged it, it's right next to the oil filter....

When I put my VDC together, I resealed the oil cooler, and put a new aftermarket oil switch in it (aftermarket ones are about $7) while I had everything apart. It started leaking almost immediately, and in about a year, no longer would illuminate the light. So I replaced it with an OE. And when the switch in my Celica started leaking, I noticed the aftermarket one was the same as the Subaru, so I put an OE Subaru switch on it....

OE switch is 25240ka041, MSRP $22.75. Same as EJ 4-cyl.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,752 Posts
the light behind the left LCD screen is out on our 03.

maybe it is the bulb?

if you pre-fill the filter, the light goes out quickly but, it should still 'test' .

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
You should have CEL, Oil, Battery, Airbag, ABS (or not if yours is discon), VDC (if equipped), AT TEMP, Cruise, and Low Fuel (if applicable).

Like said above, you may have accidentally unplugged (or broken) the oil pressure switch above the oil filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.