Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2013
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a whining transmission on deceleration on a 2013 Outback. I have never checked the transmission fluid, so I suspect this is part if not the entire issue. Thing is, I cannot for the life of me find any kind of dipstick other than the engine oil..Please help if you know where this thing should be???

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,476 Posts
If you have a 2.5 (you don't say) there is no dipstick, this is explained in your owner's manual.

Someone here may have the procedure from the service manual, I recall it involves a specific fluid temp and maybe some gyrations of the shifter through the gears but I'm not entirely certain. Oh yeah - you need to crawl under the vehicle.

Considering the recent revelations of an extended warranty on the CVT (to 10 years/100K or 1 year from July 31, 2017), just take it to the dealer with specific info to reproduce the issue, they'll do a free inspection/assessment to determine if you qualify for a free replacement.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
If you have a 2.5 (you don't say) there is no dipstick, this is explained in your owner's manual.

Someone here may have the procedure from the service manual, I recall it involves a specific fluid temp and maybe some gyrations of the shifter through the gears but I'm not entirely certain. Oh yeah - you need to crawl under the vehicle.

Considering the recent revelations of an extended warranty on the CVT (to 10 years/100K or 1 year from July 31, 2017), just take it to the dealer with specific info to reproduce the issue, they'll do a free inspection/assessment to determine if you qualify for a free replacement.
If your engine is the 2.5, hallux has the answer spot on.

In case you are unaware, Subaru has recently sent out letters to all owners of certain Subarus with a CVT. Yours would be included. The letter explains that Subaru is giving all owners an extended warranty on the CVT. How long the warrany is, depends upon how many miles is on your Outback. But almost everyone gets some coverage.

So do what hallux advises, and take it to a dealer. Let them check it out. If it's bad, you'll be getting a new CVT at no cost to you.

Also, unless you are seeing drippings or a puddle in your garage or driveway, it is very unlikely your CVT is low on fluid. That is why Subaru makes it a sealed unit. The only time it should be necessary to put new fluid in, is when old fluid has been taken out.

Good luck. It would be nice to hear back what the results are of your dealership checkup, if you decide to follow through with it.

P.S. I've driven through your town a few times, when I used to live in Madisonville, KY. I sure miss it some times.

·
Registered
2011 Suburu Outback 2.5
1 Posts
OK, I bought it used and have to order the owner's manual. I have 3 months during which the dealer will fix anything I find wrong on it so I guess I will take it to a master mechanic I know and have him give it a once over.

Is this a sealed transmission like on some VWs where you cannot service it yourself at all? Is it possible to check the fluid and add more if needed?

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,435 Posts
OK, I bought it used and have to order the owner's manual. I have 3 months during which the dealer will fix anything I find wrong on it so I guess I will take it to a master mechanic I know and have him give it a once over.

Is this a sealed transmission like on some VWs where you cannot service it yourself at all? Is it possible to check the fluid and add more if needed?

Here's a link to the '13 manual:

https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-resources/manuals.html?modelCode=2013-OBK-DDC

page 11-21 says this about the CVT fluid:

>>>

There is no fluid level gauge. It is unnecessary to check the continuously variable transmission fluid level. However, if necessary, consult your SUBARU dealer for inspection.
<<<

I think there are two bolts - upper and lower, There's a bolt you can remove so you can peek inside, or you can stick your finger inside to check fluid level. The lower bolt is for a drain hole.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts