Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have an 07 outback non-turbo. The car developed an oil leak at 100k miles and dealer said it would cost $3k to fix, both heads leaking. Now I have 120k miles but saw this small pool of oil on the engine. Can someone tell me where this leak is coming from and how expensive is it to fix? Thanks.

IMG_20130410_070208_842.jpg

·
Registered
'07 Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am the original owner. Not sure how the oil is getting there. The dealer told me I had both heads leaking but that pool of oil was not present at that time. I just noticed this recently.

·
Registered
'07 Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did read it. I will contact them but just wanted to know how the leak pooled on top near starter? Thanks.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
No idea can't tell from the picture.
Valve covers can leak but those are not in your photo. There are other possible sources of oil leaks but again hard to say given the picture is of where the oil ended up not where it started from.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
You shot a photo of the underside/behind the power steering pump.
Oil collecting on the top of the engine.
What color is it?
Red? - Power steering pump/lines
How is your power steering pump oil level?

Brown/Black? - Engine oil

Bring us more info/pictures.
Without it there are only guesses.

·
Registered
'07 Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Will check it out more and post add l pics. Its my wife's car and she did say the car whines in the beginning so it may be PS oil but recently brought for oil change and they supposedly topped off liquids. Will check. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Just compared to my 07. The photo is the right side front of the engine taken from above. (The front of car is at the top.) The p.s. pump is at the top, the water pipe diagonally at the right, the intake manifold at the bottom right, and the oil pressure switch at the left. (See annotated photo.)

The top of the p.s. pump appears to be wet. This seems to be the best clue. If that's oil-like, there's no source up there other than the pump intake line fitting, which is outside the photo at the top, above the angled white connector.

If the pump is making noise, it could be drawing in air at the intake fitting due to a damaged fitting or o-ring. When the engine is off, the same fault would allow fluid to leak out on top of the pump, spread over the top and drop down below.

Attachments

·
Registered
'07 Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just compared to my 07. The photo is the right side front of the engine taken from above. (The front of car is at the top.) The p.s. pump is at the top, the water pipe diagonally at the right, the intake manifold at the bottom right, and the oil pressure switch at the left. (See annotated photo.)

The top of the p.s. pump appears to be wet. This seems to be the best clue. If that's oil-like, there's no source up there other than the pump intake line fitting, which is outside the photo at the top, above the angled white connector.

If the pump is making noise, it could be drawing in air at the intake fitting due to a damaged fitting or o-ring. When the engine is off, the same fault would allow fluid to leak out on top of the pump, spread over the top and drop down below.
This is very helpful. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Here's a photo of the p.s. pump with the input and output lines clearly shown. The high pressure output line is on the side. A leak here would probably tend to run down the side of the pump, but not coat the top, especially up the brown-colored plug which is raised even higher.

The suction line that is held to the top of the pump with a bolt is more likely the source. There could be a leak where the rubber hose is held onto the fitting by the spring clamp, or there could be a leak where the fitting fits into the top of the pump.

It might be best to isolate the source first. Clean the oil and dirt off p.s. pump, and then leave it for a while. If the fluid level in the p.s. reservoir is full, and if there's a leak at the suction fitting, some fresh seepage might be seen around the fitting after a few hours, or overnight. If nothing shows, take the car for a drive, then stop and again look for new oil on or around the pump.

The FSM instructions for taking out the pump seems to suggest disconnecting the suction pipe at the spring clamp, and not by removing the fitting on the pump itself. Consequently, unless there is evidence of leakage from the fitting/pump junction, I'd suggest not disturbing that connection. Neither the FSM nor http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_22/steering/oil_pump/illustration_2/ shows an o-ring at the suction fitting and this makes me wonder if it's sealed in some other way which could be more difficult to re-establish if the fitting is removed unnecessarily.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts