Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited AT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen posts about leaks caused by the oil cooler gasket but this leak is on the water hose on the opposite side of the oil pan from where the oil filer is. You can see the outline of the oil pan and if you follow the hose at the bottom of the picture it goes to the oil cooler and filter. Any help in identifiying what seals i'm dealing with in this area and are there any service manuals on the forum or on line that i can access? This is from a 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited AT. Thanks
IMG_20200124_153756.jpg

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
761 Posts
How much oil are you losing to that leak?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not enough that it is terribly noticeable. I might use between a 1/2 quart to 2/3's from one oil change to the next (6 months and/or 6K miles). It's my wife's car, was thinking of doing the oil change myself this time when i noticed the hose covered with oil so this might have been going on for awhile.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
761 Posts
Let us know where the leak is coming from when you find out. Sure hope it does not turn out to be a ridiculously costly and involved fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure since i don't have a technical manual what is directly above the hose. What are those two components with the seal right above the hose. I was hoping someone else has experienced a leak like this. I will definitely post once i get confirmation. I wanted to get an idea before i take it to someone so i can have an understanding what it should cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, to follow up, i took it to my local Subaru dealer that I have a love/hate relationship with. The leak is coming from the Front Timing Chain Cover and the estimate they gave me to remove the cover and reseal is $1,200. The tech says it is a fairly labor extensive job, the parts only about $100. I will call around some independent shops but i have found them to be comparable price wise to the dealer. Any thoughts as to whether this is reasonable cost wise? Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
mine was done a while ago as there is sealant oozing out of everywhere on the cover.. 140K now

everything has to come off the front

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so $1,200 is a fair price? Only 87K on my car, minor leak at this point. Will have it done at next oil change and monitor oil levels closely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, the tech said to call Subaru and maybe they would give us a discount, this is our 4th Subaru and we have had some odd problems as of late (luck of the draw) that were high cost fixes. Perhaps we can get 10 or 20% off. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
761 Posts
I would still call around and obtain some indie shop repair estimates while you attempt to work with Subaru for a discount. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts