Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I need to replace the lower ball joint on a 2003. I see the OEM parts but they do not come with a castle nut, cotter pin, washer? Youtube videos show they do, but people who purchase them online say they only receive the ball joint itself. Moog parts seem to, but the one for my car (on a large online retailer) seems to be made in China and of poor quality.

I cannot for the life of me find where to determine the appropriate castle nut size, or where to get one (AutoZone?). The Subaru parts website (parts.subaru.com) does not seem to list specifications, and I don't see a castle nut with the list of parts for suspension (where the ball joint is).

I did try affixing wrench heads to the existing castle nut, but it's hard to determine with that cotter pin in it.

Any advice?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
The Moog ball joints I got of RockAuto for Mal came with castle nut and cotter pin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Moog ball joints I got of RockAuto for Mal came with castle nut and cotter pin.
Yea I saw that too. I'd prefer to use OEM parts for the ball joint. I checked my car again, and it seems the castle nut doesn't seem to be rusted, so I could try reusing it, as well as the cotter pin. I wonder why the OEM part doesn't come with these pieces.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I wonder why the OEM part doesn't come with these pieces.
Because it's almost comic material - the nut has absolutely, literally, zero failure modes. It's never happened in the history of Subaru. Good luck trying to break one via driving, you can't and won't.

You could wail it with a chisel, drill it down some, and completely mangle it and it would still never fail.

it seems the castle nut doesn't seem to be rusted, so I could try reusing it, as well as the cotter pin.
Yes - reuse them.

If an aftermarket ball joint comes with a nut and pin - i throw them away and use the original or grab a used one out of my stash. more than likely the material quality is worse and they'll be more prone to rust and stripping in the future. (*See comment below about OEM).

I usually use OEM, sometimes Beck Arnley which has been OEM most, if not all, of the few times i've gone that route.

If the cotter pin is rusty or for good measure since they routinely rust/stick/bend/break depending mostly on rust, get a new one. Call your local dealer.

Why could you find what you were looking for? I found the complete parts kit with one search and one click - here's a "kit" and you can rip the part numbers off to buy what you want individually:

https://smile.amazon.com/Genuine-Su...&sr=8-1&keywords=subaru+ball+joint+cotter+pin

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,307 Posts
If the cotter pin is rusty or for good measure since they routinely rust/stick/bend/break depending mostly on rust, get a new one. Call your local dealer.
Wait, we are talking about a metric castle nut ... and a cotter pin right? I can buy a cotter pin at 3 separate places with-in walking distance of my computer (1/2 mile) or less. (Home Depot, Adavance, AutoZone)

I have a Napa (with hardware bins) and an Ace Hardware under 4 miles each and I garuntee that eith one of them are going to have a metric (M12x1.25 I believe) castle nut.

I have to agree that this is pretty comical since the last few BJs I bought all have nylon nuts and no cotter pin slot. BJs from Advance and Napa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts