Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5xt Limited
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got the leaky valve cover gaskets (oil on the sides of the spark plug cover (grommets?).

I will probably end up having a pro do the work, as I tend to screw up gaskets, but I was thinking I'd get the whole kit of replacement parts and take it in to my guy.

what's in a good kit - does it come with new plug sleeves/grommets/covers?, where do I get one, and how much are they usually? (I saw someone say $25, but maybe I was confused)

thanks,
Tys

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,890 Posts
Get the gaskets from Subaru. If your mechanic gets the gaskets, make him get them from Subaru. The aftermarket gaskets don't fit proper. If you haven't changed the plugs yet, get a set of NGK's for it while you're at it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Really? I've had awesome luck with the Fel-Pro kits, which are very complete and have had no fitment issues whatsoever. They are readily available at Advance Auto Parts or Autozone stores, and are almost always in stock. I'm assuming you've dealt with Fel-Pro, Cardoc - What have you found to not be as good as OE?

OP: They are a cake job on these cars, the gaskets pop into the valve covers, you really can't screw it up. Sort of a fun, straightforward job on these Subarus. 2 hours max if you're taking your time and going slow.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I have a set of Fel-Pro I purchased that includes the two cover rubber seals, ten metal/rubber bolt grommets and four spark plug tube rubbers.

If the kit PERFORMS anything by how it LOOKS, I will be happy as a clam!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,890 Posts
Really? I've had awesome luck with the Fel-Pro kits, which are very complete and have had no fitment issues whatsoever. They are readily available at Advance Auto Parts or Autozone stores, and are almost always in stock. I'm assuming you've dealt with Fel-Pro, Cardoc - What have you found to not be as good as OE?

OP: They are a cake job on these cars, the gaskets pop into the valve covers, you really can't screw it up. Sort of a fun, straightforward job on these Subarus. 2 hours max if you're taking your time and going slow.
In past repairs, the fel-pro gaskets I got were not the correct lengths, too long/short, or did not seat correctly. The cost difference is minuscule. If you can get a set from the aftermarket, and they fit, go with it. If not, you can always return them.

Just remember what I've posted elsewhere about the aftermarket parts. This is just one of those parts I've run into issue with.

And yeah, gravy job to do.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean
298 Posts
I used valve cover gaskets from Subaru and plug hole gaskets from NAPA when I did my H6. The cover gaskets were 33 a piece and the tube gaskets were 6 a piece.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5xt Limited
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you guys remove the stuff next to those gasket covers? the air intake, etc? or do you jack up the engine?

I haven't tried yet or anything, but seems pretty crazy tight in there to get at those valve covers.

Tys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts