Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious where everyone has mounted their brake controllers for towing.

I have been looking over potential mounting locations, and I feel that the cab is snug enough that none of my favored spots for an inconspicuous mount is going to be very good. I might end up only attaching it for towing, and then securing it up behind the dash, out of sight, when not in use.

Just curious what everyone else has done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had my last controller in my 2006 MT Outback mounted in the fuse box and then would pull it out when trailering as the knee wall was too tight an area.

With my new 2013 Outback, I am going to mount it just to the right of the ignition, but below on the angled knee wall. The left knee area is problematic as there would be a tendency to hit it when exiting and entering the car with your knee. The right area does not suffer from this problem. The knee wall area appears to have the most room for simple non-custom mounting. However, in an accident it will be sitting there for your knee to run into.

The ideal place would actually be in the closed console area below the radio (maybe above, not sure as I am in my house). That is a perfect area and then you could just lift the front cover when you are using it. However, I assume that would cost quite a bit extra to get the wiring there or even into the lower open shelf area. The nice thing about the Tekonsha prodigy 2 or 3 is that I believe they have a plug-in at the back that makes disconnecting them easy, so even if mounted on the knee wall, they could be removed from their bracket. Hope this helps. I will be curious to hear what you decide as I am not mounting mine till mid-October when I get ready to trailer to the desert in California.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
I had my last controller in my 2006 MT Outback mounted in the fuse box and then would pull it out when trailering as the knee wall was too tight an area.

With my new 2013 Outback, I am going to mount it just to the right of the ignition, but below on the angled knee wall. The left knee area is problematic as there would be a tendency to hit it when exiting and entering the car with your knee. The right area does not suffer from this problem. The knee wall area appears to have the most room for simple non-custom mounting. However, in an accident it will be sitting there for your knee to run into.

The ideal place would actually be in the closed console area below the radio (maybe above, not sure as I am in my house). That is a perfect area and then you could just lift the front cover when you are using it. However, I assume that would cost quite a bit extra to get the wiring there or even into the lower open shelf area. The nice thing about the Tekonsha prodigy 2 or 3 is that I believe they have a plug-in at the back that makes disconnecting them easy, so even if mounted on the knee wall, they could be removed from their bracket. Hope this helps. I will be curious to hear what you decide as I am not mounting mine till mid-October when I get ready to trailer to the desert in California.
I have a 2012 Outback and I ended up mounting it to the right of ignition as you describe. So far it has not caused a problem. But as you indicated I suspect the right knee will take a hit in an accident. I am interested if someone comes up with a better location.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was leaning to putting it to the right of the ignition/column too. I totally agree about the left of the column. I would be kicking it on entering and leaving the car all the time.

I personally could live with it to the left, but my wife's short legs would be banging it all the time. (She is only 5 foot). Since the car is primarily her's (aren't they all? :D ) it has to be usable for her.

Poking around under the dash, I think I may be able to take it and the bracket off the dash to the right, and tuck it all up under the dash when not in use. There seems to be plenty of room to tie it up back there, without it interfering with anything. Then pulling it out and putting it on when trailering.

I agree the middle cubby would be convenient. However, as you said, it would take some disassembly to get the wiring up there and get it properly mounted. Also, I am not sure I want to cost myself that bin for a half dozen tow trips a year.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i
110 Posts
Mine is mounted to the right of the ignition down on the angled piece. Works fine. I'm 6'3" and occasionally bang it but not enough to cause a problem.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
What about the lowest cubby in the center, right in front of the shifter. Is there enough depth there to mount a P2 or P3? My current camper doesn't have brakes, but if I replace the axle, I will opt for electric brakes... And since we have a baby girl on the way, we might need to upsize the camper, anyway.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
Getting wiring around the dash is easy. I have had my '11 Outback apart a couple of times... To install the media center and to install the remote starter. Super easy. From the right knee area to the center cubby is only a matter of a few inches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts