Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2012 outback premium with manual AC control system, same with other people. it has the same AC preformance problem(not cool enough). I would like to buy a dual zone system to replace my current AC control system. Let me know where can i get one?

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
You can't. By the time you source all the parts and upgrade the hardware it would WAY too much, if it's even possible.

Trade your car in and get a Limited with Dual Control.

I don't understand this "performance problem" everyone keeps talking about. My wife even commented the other day about how well our OB cools the car. I guess we are just used to cheap cars with similar AC lol

·
Registered
2012 2.5i premium AWP sunroof, ice silver metallic
93 Posts
^it probably varies greatly depending on where you're located & you're particular tolerance for heat & cold. i'm an extremely hot-natured person on a normal day, but i'm also in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy right now, and i'm in NC & the heat index today is 105 with a dew point of 65 deg...so yeah, my 2012 2.5 prem isn't keeping up with the heat as well as i'd like for it to be. my brother's giant gmc 2500 diesel does an awesome job though.

the problem, i think, is just related to the size/power of the engine. my guess is that the 3.6 does a better job & if you compare it to vehicles with even larger engines, they do a much much better job at cooling. my 2006 civic with its 1.8 did about half as well on these super hot summer days as the outback does. it would automatically stop cooling if you accelerated fast enough too, to transfer power to the engine. so yeah, the outback just needs a bigger engine.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
The ACC system shouldn't blow any colder than the manual system. The benefit of the an ACC is that it allows you to set a temp and keep it there rather than having to adjust the temp and fan speed as things cool down. The dual zone allows each individual to set their own temp.

I'd venture a guess that this would be a very costly upgrade as it's not just the control unit that has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT premium with sunroof
120 Posts
Subaru are you listening another post complaining about the AC performance. Add that to your fix it list for the next model year. :) <O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
The ACC system shouldn't blow any colder than the manual system. The benefit of the an ACC is that it allows you to set a temp and keep it there rather than having to adjust the temp and fan speed as things cool down. The dual zone allows each individual to set their own temp.

I'd venture a guess that this would be a very costly upgrade as it's not just the control unit that has to be replaced.
The auto system and manual system will both blow the same vent temp for the first 10 minutes. After that the manual system will ramp up the temp by 10 degrees or more while the auto system will contine to blow the same cold air until the set temperature is met. That is why the auto system is cooler.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts

The consensus seems to be that the ACC system will indefinitely blow cold air until the desired temperature is reached, whereas the manual will cycle on an off every 15 mins (IIRC) making the ACC seem to blow colder, but the fact is that it cools better because it blows cold air constantly.

LOTS of threads on here talking about it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just got back from outside, i did some experiment. i turned switch to Mid(center of the indicator) and set blowing position to face. After 5mins it blows acceptable cold air.:) the outside temp is 97 degree in cleveland today

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
just got back from outside, i did some experiment. i turned switch to Mid(center of the indicator) and set blowing position to face. After 5mins it blows acceptable cold air.:) the outside temp is 97 degree in cleveland today
Yes, that's correct. As I stated the manual system will blow cold air for the first 10 minutes after that it will ramp up 10 or more degrees. Even after it ramps up many will still find the cool air accetable being that the cabin has had 10 minutes to cool down which is the design intent. The auto system will not ramp up until the set temp is reached or never if temp is lowered to max. The auto out performs the manual system but I find both acceptable. I own them both.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You need to get one of these to experiment with.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
get a 3.6R, otherwise suck it up.

The one thing that I do see on this forum that is a common recurrence, is that a lot of people have some pretty unrealistic expectations from these cars, especially the 2.5i engine. Everyone wants the performance of a 6 cal, the gas mileage of a 4cyl, along with being able to tow more, better handling (for a wagon) and freezing air conditioning, all in a 4 cylinder engine!

Given the size of the car compared to the size of the 2.5i engine, it's pretty impressive what this car is able to do, but there are going to be compromises with it. You either have to decide to suck it up with the 2.5i or shell out the extra cash upfront and spend more on gas with the 3.6R.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
You do NOT have to get 3.6 to get good AC performance...you just have to get auto AC.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
get a 3.6R, otherwise suck it up.

The one thing that I do see on this forum that is a common recurrence, is that a lot of people have some pretty unrealistic expectations from these cars, especially the 2.5i engine. Everyone wants the performance of a 6 cal, the gas mileage of a 4cyl, along with being able to tow more, better handling (for a wagon) and freezing air conditioning, all in a 4 cylinder engine!

Given the size of the car compared to the size of the 2.5i engine, it's pretty impressive what this car is able to do, but there are going to be compromises with it. You either have to decide to suck it up with the 2.5i or shell out the extra cash upfront and spend more on gas with the 3.6R.
But nobody has issues with the auto climate control system performance with either engine. It's just with the manual system. I'll keep my comments strictly to the topic of the thread (A/C performance) so we don't risk starting another 4 vs 6 discussion.

·
Registered
565 Posts
But nobody has issues with the auto climate control system performance with either engine. It's just with the manual system. I'll keep my comments strictly to the topic of the thread (A/C performance) so we don't risk starting another 4 vs 6 discussion.
sorry, my intent wasn't to start a 4cyl vs 6cyl debate, but are there really people with the standard AC (not climate control) that have a 6cyl that are complaining of it not being cold enough?! doubt it. the larger engine, despite it having the standard AC or climate control system will be colder, hands down. even of it was reasonable/affordable/easy to convert a standard AC system to a climate control system in a 4cyl, it wouldn't make it any colder, it would just mean that you as the operator would not have to reach down and adjust the controls to make it cooler or warmer, the climate control system would do that based on the temp you set it at. has nothing to do with being able to blow out colder air! the smaller engine is only going to be able to put out so much cold air, regardless of if it's adjusted manually or via a climate control system.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You do NOT have to get 3.6 to get good AC performance...you just have to get auto AC.
what is your rationale for this? how does auto AC/climate control equate to colder AC? how is this different than having a manual system and leaving it on high constantly? (I did read somewhere on this forum about the compressor not blowing 100% after about 10 mins of constant use, so you;d just have to turn off then turn back on the AC on a manual system to get it to constantly have full output i guess).

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Did I say colder? I said AC PERFORMANCE. There are so few 3.6 premium owners that it will be hard to tell. My auto AC is just fine in hot & humid Texas.

Have you tried your method yet?? Does it work? My auto AC does not require that. Thus, better performance!

My little Prius has excellent auto AC, much better than my old Acura tsx with the auto AC and bigger engine.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Subaru are you listening another post complaining about the AC performance. Add that to your fix it list for the next model year. :) <o:p</o
+1.

Just as a hobbyist I've looked at a quite a few message boards for other makes. And I can't recall seeing, in those other forums, as many posts about the a/c as I have in this forum and the legacy gt forums.

Let's hope that we see very few posts in the next gen legacy/outback forums about the a/c. Then we'll know that Sube has fixed it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Did I say colder? I said AC PERFORMANCE. There are so few 3.6 premium owners that it will be hard to tell. My auto AC is just fine in hot & humid Texas.

Have you tried your method yet?? Does it work? My auto AC does not require that. Thus, better performance!

My little Prius has excellent auto AC, much better than my old Acura tsx with the auto AC and bigger engine.
I guess the misunderstanding between us is just a matter of semantics. i have no complaints with my 2.5i after initially learning how to use the AC! at first i was not using the recirculated air when using the AC, which means it is pulling in outside air and having to cool it. If you hot the recirc. button it will get and stay much colder MUCH faster! I've always owned 4cyl cars, and had a Forester before this, and have no complaints with the AC< but I live in Southern California, where it doesn't get THAT hot compared to other parts of the country!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
Is the AC compressor in the 3.6 geared differently? Unless it is turning faster, it can't cool any more than the 2.5i.

My manual system in my 2.5i works great. We have had many days over 100 degrees and HIGH humidity. One day was up to 106 degrees! The Outback cooled very well... And I like it cold. Like most cars, cooling won't be so great with short trips in town.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I guess the misunderstanding between us is just a matter of semantics. i have no complaints with my 2.5i after initially learning how to use the AC! at first i was not using the recirculated air when using the AC, which means it is pulling in outside air and having to cool it. If you hot the recirc. button it will get and stay much colder MUCH faster! I've always owned 4cyl cars, and had a Forester before this, and have no complaints with the AC< but I live in Southern California, where it doesn't get THAT hot compared to other parts of the country!
Even with recirc on and everything set to max the manual system used on the Premium 2.5 and 3.6 will ramp up the vent temp 10 degrees or more at the 10 minute mark. It's not such a big deal being that the cabin cooled down some during the initial 10 minutes. Most people don't even notice it. I notice the problem more when it's not really that hot out and I am mainly using the A/C to remove humidity. At the 10 minute mark I can feel the temp go up. I wish it didn't do that but it still works ok. Yes you can cycle the A/C to make it start the 10 minute cycle again but are you really happy with that? On the other hand the auto system on the Limited 2.5 and 3.6 doesn't do the 10 minute ramp and can blow max cold all day long. I actually didn't test it that long but did let it go for about an hour. The difference in Limited vs premium A/C performance was first pointed by a Subaru rep to Problemchild200 back in 2010. As Thai already pointed out to you, you don't see many 3.6 complaints because the 3.6s are mostly Limiteds. It has nothing to do with the engine size. Subaxtreme was one 3.6 Premium owner who complained about A/C performance back in the original discussions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts