Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 with Eyesight got the dreaded windshield crack from a rock the other day. I'm debating between Pilkington or Safelite. Some have said Pilkington is somewhat thicker, I'm not sure if this is true or not. I'm wondering if anyone who have either have had problems with further rock cracks or not.

For those who love details- it hit on the upper driver side dark area which is probably over the frame. Outside temp about 60. Occurred on a busy freeway. I've had a couple of small rock hits without problems.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
Make sure it is compatible with the eyesight( cutouts for the cameras in that dark green band on top) and get the eyesight system recalibrated after installing the new windshield..... YMMV

·
Registered
193 Posts
My pilkington eyesight compatible is quieter than oem. Appears thicker. Per dealer re calibration is not needed if cameras not disturbed.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
My pilkington eyesight compatible is quieter than oem. Appears thicker. Per dealer re calibration is not needed if cameras not disturbed.
Fake News As per Subaru-OEM or Eyesight Certification windshield and Inspection with Calibration is a Facts. If you have the correct insurance coverage it is fully covered.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
Why would you not use a Subaru Windshield? Concerns over breaking again would be one, I suppose. How can you tell if one brand is thinker than another? Doubt if that info is available and/or reliable.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to think they addressed the cracking problem with the replacement.
They fixed the deicer cracking problem by 2017 but in general from looking at complaints the windshield seems to be more prone to cracking than other generations or other auto makes.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
They fixed the deicer cracking problem by 2017 but in general from looking at complaints the windshield seems to be more prone to cracking than other generations or other auto makes.
Read other forums and you learn this issue is talk about extensively. The breakage is higher in my area because of all the construction and road work. A Lot more big rigs that kick up debris and fly off the backs.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Factory technical service bulletin and professional repair info says to source only OEM glass:

2016-2017 Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX, Legacy, EyeSight windshield
Denis Flierl's picture
By Denis Flierl G+ Aug 24 2016 - 10:13am
Why Subaru EyeSight Models Require OEM Windshield Only
Subaru has specific windshield replacement requirements for vehicles equipped with EyeSight. It just got more complicated.
A new windshield for the 2016-2017 Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX and Legacy models equipped with EyeSight just got more complicated and expensive. If you need a replacement windshield on your EyeSight-equipped Subaru vehicle, it will require OEM glass according to a report by I-CAR.
Subaru’s EyeSight driver assist safety system works well, has been proven to significantly reduce accidents, and many buyers are choosing the system when they buy a new Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX and Legacy model. Replacing a windshield on an EyeSight-equipped Subaru won’t be as easy as a non-EyeSight model. What does Subaru require?
According to a notice placed on windshields of new models equipped with EyeSight, a new Subaru genuine OEM windshield must be installed. Why does Subaru require this? Installing an aftermarket windshield may prevent the EyeSight from working properly. Here’s the procedure.
EyeSight windshield notice

“Always use Subaru genuine windshield glass specifically designed for EyeSight. If windshield glass other than glass specifically designed for EyeSight is used, the visibility of the camera can be blocked or the distortion of the glass can prevent the correct measurement of an object resulting in abnormal EyeSight operation.”
The notice also requires the installer to preform an “Inspection” and “Adjustment and check” procedure of the system’s stereo camera to make sure the system is functioning properly after the windshield is installed. If the glass is damaged in the camera area, a glass repair cannot be performed, according to Subaru.
The Subaru EyeSight driver-assist safety system is one of the best on the market today. Families will be safer with it ,and it can be ordered on the new 2017 Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX and Legacy models. Many owners who live in the mountain states, get their windshield cracked every winter by rocks and sand on the highway. It gets a lot more complicated if you need a new windshield on these EyeSight-equipped Subaru models.
Source: I-CAR
Image Source: Subaru
Auto News

Subaru Glass Replacement Requirements
Posted on July 22, 2016 Share: Author: RTS Print
Subaru has specific requirements for vehicles equipped with the EyeSight system.
Subaru has specific requirements for vehicles equipped with the EyeSight system.
The role of the windshield is a lot more complex than simply allowing a view of the road ahead. It is considered a structural part of the vehicle as it contributes to the strength of the roof and A-pillars. The windshield helps to manage collision energy and has become an integral part of several advanced safety systems.

It is commonly asked; what is required when replacing a windshield? With this question in mind, we will be presenting a series of articles that highlight some of the requirements from various OEMs. Let’s see what Subaru has to say.

The information that we are looking for can be found in vehicle-specific Subaru body repair manuals. For 2016 model year vehicles:

Subaru identifies Dow Automotive primers and adhesives (or equivalent).
During the installation process, Subaru calls for a rubber dam on the inside of the urethane adhesive.
Some vehicles, like the 2016 BRZ, may also have a non-reusable rubber dam as part of the original installation by the OEM.
Windshield trim molding cannot be reused.
As a special caution, vehicles equipped with EyeSight that have had the windshield removed and installed will need to have the “Inspection” and “Adjustment and Check” of the stereo camera. If the glass is damaged in the EyeSight area, glass repair is prohibited. According to Subaru, a new Subaru genuine windshield must be installed because installing an aftermarket windshield may prevent the EyeSight from working properly. Additional cautions are located in the Windshield Glass procedure.

To access vehicle-specific Subaru windshield removal and installation procedures go to: techinfo.subaru.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will vouch for the Pilkington version of the windshield. My windshield cracked three separate times in the first year or so of ownership of my 2015 outback. All replaced with OEM windshields via the Subaru dealer. One crack started under the trim but with the other two I saw the rock impact in the de-icing area resulting in immediate star then running cracks within the day. The last windshield installed has the Pilkington logo and since installed, I have seen other rock strikes but the glass may have chipped but did not crack. I have been able to have those chip spots repaired and all has been well. This posting may spell doom for my good fortune but I correlate no more cracks with the Pilkington windshield being more durable than the other Subaru branded version.

As for Calibration of the eye sight system, I have had this done when the windows were replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Anecdotal.
Example.. Because I do not make left turns I never have to worry about damage on my right side.:spin:

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
@gstope. Please provide your information on Pilkington Eyesight Certification because I have had zero luck, I have searched using Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckgo, We will be truly interested because of the supposed price difference. If you can't, please refrain from telling uninformed individuals that it is implied Eyesight Certified.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Factory technical service bulletin and professional repair info says to source only OEM glass:

2016-2017 Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX, Legacy, EyeSight windshield
Denis Flierl's picture
By Denis Flierl G+ Aug 24 2016 - 10:13am
Why Subaru EyeSight Models Require OEM Windshield Only
Subaru has specific windshield replacement requirements for vehicles equipped with EyeSight. It just got more complicated.
A new windshield for the 2016-2017 Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX and Legacy models equipped with EyeSight just got more complicated and expensive. If you need a replacement windshield on your EyeSight-equipped Subaru vehicle, it will require OEM glass according to a report by I-CAR.
Subaru’s EyeSight driver assist safety system works well, has been proven to significantly reduce accidents, and many buyers are choosing the system when they buy a new Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX and Legacy model. Replacing a windshield on an EyeSight-equipped Subaru won’t be as easy as a non-EyeSight model. What does Subaru require?
According to a notice placed on windshields of new models equipped with EyeSight, a new Subaru genuine OEM windshield must be installed. Why does Subaru require this? Installing an aftermarket windshield may prevent the EyeSight from working properly. Here’s the procedure.
EyeSight windshield notice

“Always use Subaru genuine windshield glass specifically designed for EyeSight. If windshield glass other than glass specifically designed for EyeSight is used, the visibility of the camera can be blocked or the distortion of the glass can prevent the correct measurement of an object resulting in abnormal EyeSight operation.”
The notice also requires the installer to preform an “Inspection” and “Adjustment and check” procedure of the system’s stereo camera to make sure the system is functioning properly after the windshield is installed. If the glass is damaged in the camera area, a glass repair cannot be performed, according to Subaru.
The Subaru EyeSight driver-assist safety system is one of the best on the market today. Families will be safer with it ,and it can be ordered on the new 2017 Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX and Legacy models. Many owners who live in the mountain states, get their windshield cracked every winter by rocks and sand on the highway. It gets a lot more complicated if you need a new windshield on these EyeSight-equipped Subaru models.
Source: I-CAR
Image Source: Subaru
Auto News

Subaru Glass Replacement Requirements
Posted on July 22, 2016 Share: Author: RTS Print
The role of the windshield is a lot more complex than simply allowing a view of the road ahead. It is considered a structural part of the vehicle as it contributes to the strength of the roof and A-pillars. The windshield helps to manage collision energy and has become an integral part of several advanced safety systems.

It is commonly asked; what is required when replacing a windshield? With this question in mind, we will be presenting a series of articles that highlight some of the requirements from various OEMs. Let’s see what Subaru has to say.

The information that we are looking for can be found in vehicle-specific Subaru body repair manuals. For 2016 model year vehicles:

Subaru identifies Dow Automotive primers and adhesives (or equivalent).
During the installation process, Subaru calls for a rubber dam on the inside of the urethane adhesive.
Some vehicles, like the 2016 BRZ, may also have a non-reusable rubber dam as part of the original installation by the OEM.
Windshield trim molding cannot be reused.
As a special caution, vehicles equipped with EyeSight that have had the windshield removed and installed will need to have the “Inspection” and “Adjustment and Check” of the stereo camera. If the glass is damaged in the EyeSight area, glass repair is prohibited. According to Subaru, a new Subaru genuine windshield must be installed because installing an aftermarket windshield may prevent the EyeSight from working properly. Additional cautions are located in the Windshield Glass procedure.

To access vehicle-specific Subaru windshield removal and installation procedures go to: techinfo.subaru.com

Well thanks but with all due respect folks have posted on other threads that they have used Safelite and Pilkington glass with Eyesight. In fact Safelite tests to see if an Eyesight adjustment is needed. What I want to know how well these brands have done as far as breakage for people that are using them.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i CVT This is our 6th Subaru, 4th Outback dating from 1999.
8 Posts
My insurance company (CSAA) paid for an aftermarket windshield, I paid the difference for genuine ($168). As far as realignment, check around, it cost me $495. Yet to hear from insurance co. on what portion they are covering. (2016 Limited.) FYI.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My pilkington has taken a few rock hits with no chips or marks so far. Also the wiper heater had an annoying rattle on the oem. Not on the pilkington fwiw and yes the heater is there.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,178 Posts
Who actually makes the Subaru Windscreens? Surely SOA does not have its own in house glass manufacturing plant.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
My pilkington has taken a few rock hits with no chips or marks so far. Also the wiper heater had an annoying rattle on the oem. Not on the pilkington fwiw and yes the heater is there.
I can't think of any part of the wiper heater that would have rattled. Maybe it was the cowl panel.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
Who actually makes the Subaru Windscreens?
In the U.S. it's Carlex. (It's marked right on the windshield and other windows.) They have a large warehouse and "assembly" facility within a few miles of the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN, but their only glass manufacturing plant in the U.S. is in Nashville, TN. Carlex appears to have only one facility outside of North America, in Luxembourg. .

·
Registered
42 Posts
@gstope. Please provide your information on Pilkington Eyesight Certification because I have had zero luck, I have searched using Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckgo, We will be truly interested because of the supposed price difference. If you can't, please refrain from telling uninformed individuals that it is implied Eyesight Certified.

Yoda_One,
The windshield was replaced at a Subaru Dealership in Canada. Being that the same dealership completed the calibration, I did not ask for nor was given any certification other than the trust of the Subaru shop performing the work.

From your comment and just general experience, I realize that not all dealers can be trusted but I can only say that over the past couple of years since the work was completed, I have not noticed any issue with the adaptive cruise control, lane management, vehicle ahead movement alerts etc. Plus, living in Canada where rock pebbles were used for icy road conditions, I have watched many of pebbles bounce off the windshield with no effect.

Sometimes real world experience validates things, other times we look for third party justification. I was just letting people know that I have had better luck than with this Pilkington Windshield.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts