Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight -2013 Forester -21yr old F-150
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is interested in a new Outback or Forester. We already own two Subaru's, a 2016 3.6R Limited and a 2013 Forester. The 2013 is a little too noisy for him. He likes the Outback though. From what I understand Subaru installed thicker glass in both the windshield and doors. Which model did they do that on? The '17 or just the '18? Does it make any difference? I know that the quieter glass was installed on the Forester in '17 and he may go that route. He has not had an opportunity to drive either, but if the '17 Outback is just as quiet, they he may try to find a used '17.
I can't believe we will own 3 Subaru's but I was impressed by how well SOA treated me with a transmission problem recently.
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
I just drove a 18 Premium to compare to my 16 limited. I had my wife with me so I could get 2 opinions. I did not think the car was that much quieter or rode better than my 16. If so my wife and I did not say -wow what a difference ! The CVT shifted smoother than my 16. IMO the biggest difference is the infotainment part. Much easier, plus the additions of apple carplay and android auto make it complete. Also, I like the new placement of the BSW indicators. Some small refinements to a great car. Next Gen should be special

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing I forgot to ask was do the trim levels make any difference in the noise in the cabin? Do the higher trim levels have more sound-deadening in them? Thanks! Keep the info coming!

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
I don't think it matters although the 3.6 six is quieter than the 2.5. According to Subaru all trims have the NVH improvements.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I just drove a 18 Premium to compare to my 16 limited. I had my wife with me so I could get 2 opinions. I did not think the car was that much quieter or rode better than my 16.
+1, same with my '15 Premium. I have driven the '16, '17 and '18. To me, they all have pretty much the same amount of road noise and offer the same ride.

The absolute biggest change was between my wife's '14 Forester and her '17 Forester. Like night and day. I don't believe Subaru has put the same effort into the OB. I guess more OB owners are interested in the radio and the size of the clock.

Reactions: Harplayr

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
'18 weight increased by about 80 lbs, big part of that was to address NVH issues. I'd say that '18 is better. '17 was not bad at all when compared to the competition.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
80LBS? Most redesigns don't get that weight increase. 2017 LIMITED-3671/ 2018 LIMITED -3713. 42LBS difference.I don't hear 42 lbs of quieter. I wonder if that is structure enhancements? that make it pass the new IIHS test?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
When I was test driving I was considering a used ‘16 Outback Limited. I then turned around and drove an ‘18 Outback Limited. The first thing I noticed was the quieter ride. I did not know about any of the noise improvements at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
80LBS? Most redesigns don't get that weight increase. 2017 LIMITED-3671/ 2018 LIMITED -3713. 42LBS difference.I don't hear 42 lbs of quieter. I wonder if that is structure enhancements? that make it pass the new IIHS test?
It is about 80lbs for 3.6R, not sure if we can find reliable specs about weight.

some of known changes are about noise:
Different windshield
thicker driver and passenger glass
Changed CVT chain
updates to suspension too

It is almost November and many dealers still have unsold 2017 models... this was not the case last few years.. looks like these and other updates are very appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
It is about 80lbs for 3.6R, not sure if we can find reliable specs about weight.

some of known changes are about noise:
Different windshield
thicker driver and passenger glass
Changed CVT chain
updates to suspension too

It is almost November and many dealers still have unsold 2017 models... this was not the case last few years.. looks like these and other updates are very appreciated.
One of the advertised improvements includes upgraded AC capacity, and that is very likely to involve added weight.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Or just the fact that OB sales were off a bit in September. Off almost 4% from the same period last year. First month that has happened this year. Could be a fluke or could be a trend. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
17 3.6r-3847 18 3.6r - 3893. Not 80 lbs. Glass adds up to ounces. Chain upgrade ounces. Perhaps the suspension upgrade adds a couple of pounds. I still say the infotainment was the biggest change, and for the people who have to have apple play and android auto the 17 model was a no go.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
My son has a 2017 Touring 3.6R Outback. Just drove a 2018 yesterday and it is quieter. Much Quieter than my 2015 Legacy 3.6R. The 2018 Handles much better than my legacy. Cant wait to drive a 2018 Legacy 3.6R.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
2017 3.6 3847 2018 3.6 3893. Not 80 lbs. All the upgrades you mentioned add up to most likely 5 lbs. The add-on of apple car play and android auto was the biggest selling point and the fact most people have to have it so the 17 was a no go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh please. It's called splitting hairs on an otherwise competent and well engineered AWD wagon. Every car has it's quirks, I've driven much worse from other manufacturers.

My 17 3.6 Limited is so quiet that it's like a luxury car. On a 10 hr trip at 75 mph plus thru the mountains fully loaded with my elderly parents, we had the radio set on 7 and it was easily heard and we could talk back and forth with no problems. They remarked how quiet it was and how comfortable it was.

I took no less than 5 hits to the windshield, 1 so bad to the drivers side my mom screamed and I thought the windshield was toast. And ......nothing!

What we forget is how much more refined these cars are that seems to make small problems or perceived problems, stick out like sore thumbs. Remember the bad stuff from the later 70s thru the 80s. That today's cars are as reliable as they are is amazing considering their complexity. It's the dealer network that really had the most impact on the brand's image all things being equal, in how they fix warranty issues or deliver the product period! I could go on but don't have time right now about my time in the dealerships as a Tech etc. JMHO ?

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
Agree, Subaru has to sell the latest and greatest so why not hype it as quieter, better ride, better A/C etc.. I will say for some owners who have had wind noise issues with 15-17 models it should be a big difference. Subaru is making big gains with each GEN. I thought my 2010 was quiet and refined until I drove GEN 5 . GEN 6 should be a knockout

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Folks, Thanks for the replies! Sounds like not enough differences sound wise to make a difference, but quite a bit of difference between the last generation and current generation of the Forester models. As I mentioned, he has not decided between the two. Wife would probably choose Outback, he would probably choose Forester.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Honestly after driving the Subaru for a while when I get into my Acura RL it makes the Acura seem super quiet. And I never thought of the RL as a quiet car.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback; tungsten metallic with E/S and every option. I also have a Samsung Note 8 smartphone for trouble-free Bluetooth functionality.
1,369 Posts
I just drove a 18 Premium to compare to my 16 limited. I had my wife with me so I could get 2 opinions. I did not think the car was that much quieter or rode better than my 16. If so my wife and I did not say -wow what a difference ! The CVT shifted smoother than my 16. IMO the biggest difference is the infotainment part. Much easier, plus the additions of apple carplay and android auto make it complete. Also, I like the new placement of the BSW indicators. Some small refinements to a great car. Next Gen should be special

What kind of silly ass comment is that? A CVT doesn't "shift."

1 - 20 of 76 Posts