Subaru Outback Forums banner

Which color valve cover should I go with?

356 13
I need some assistance, for which color to paint the valve covers on our old 1990 Legacy project. I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

This question may go to the dealership Instagram page for public to vote but I'm not sure how much of the public would really understand what they are actually looking at lol.

Black valve cover...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Gas Engineering

Silver valve cover...
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Hood

Voting is open for 4 weeks.
Reactions: Flood1913

Which looks better?

• Black valve covers

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Silver valve covers

Votes: 5 55.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is the car black and silver? If you are painting, why not go full custom and match the car's primary color? Maybe do the pan and timing cover as well. Otherwise, the contrast of black on the silver block with everything else being black is more appealing if you can see it through the hood.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
28,368 Posts
World rally blue metallic…
In engine paint.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the car black and silver? If you are painting, why not go full custom and match the car's primary color? Maybe do the pan and timing cover as well. Otherwise, the contrast of black on the silver block with everything else being black is more appealing if you can see it through the hood.
The car is light blue, we are doing a kind of semi restoration, not full bore strip down or anything but just freshening everything up, as you can see the engine is painted silver, the water pipes and oil pan are already painted black, the black used on the valve cover has more shine to it than I like (it's a different paint) so ideally I would have done this with the black that matches the already painted black parts...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
28,368 Posts
@traildogck likes custom painted parts of his gen3 turbo rolling museum …
So getting cast offs from those cars like getting parts off a mardigras float,…
Insert bra& panty joke here

·
Registered
184 Posts
The car is light blue, we are doing a kind of semi restoration, not full bore strip down or anything but just freshening everything up, as you can see the engine is painted silver, the water pipes and oil pan are already painted black, the black used on the valve cover has more shine to it than I like (it's a different paint) so ideally I would have done this with the black that matches the already painted black parts...
Then light blue of course. Definitely light blue.
I really couldn't tell in your profile pic what color the car is, and that is to say IF that is the car being done. It actually looks black and silver.
I still say normally the contrast against the silver looks nicer, but the paint really should match. I can see the difference in the pics, so I can imagine how much more luster it has actually seeing it.
Again, you won't see it under the hood though. After a couple drives through some rain, the road grime will blend and fade everything anyway.
Very nice and clean looking though.👍🤩

·
Premium Member
2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
624 Posts
The black looks more "stock" to me -- as if it might have come from the factory like that. It looks natural.
That said, the silver looks a bit more interesting to me, and I like things that are different!
I'll challenge you one more: care to paint the timing belt cover silver? Then keep your black valve covers for a fun little inversion! 🤪

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then light blue of course. Definitely light blue.
I really couldn't tell in your profile pic what color the car is, and that is to say IF that is the car being done. It actually looks black and silver.
I still say normally the contrast against the silver looks nicer, but the paint really should match. I can see the difference in the pics, so I can imagine how much more luster it has actually seeing it.
Again, you won't see it under the hood though. After a couple drives through some rain, the road grime will blend and fade everything anyway.
Very nice and clean looking though.👍🤩
This is the car the engine belongs to...
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

It's actually a long term project for the dealership. It's not actually my car lol, the one in my avatar is my own burgany gen2 H6 VDC, I have a whole thread on that where I also stripped, cleaned and resealed the engine.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's interesting to see how people feel about both colors and why, all valid reasons.

Not color coding anything to the car but I do have matched blue paint for the engine bay. The outside bodywork may or may not get a full respray at some point in the near future.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well in that case, you definitely won't see it under your hood! 😎
A match would rock though.
A match would indeed be cool but so much more work lol, plus the valve covers would be close to the chassis anyway so it might be a lot of blue going on in one area...?

As I said the plan is to just freshen everything up keeping it somewhat stock but new. Painting the whole engine bay is going to be a lot of work but totally worth it!

So far Silver is in the lead by just 1 vote!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts