Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I took advantage of TRS sale to get me HID retrofit projectors at great discount.

While they ship I'm looking at getting new lamps as the current ones are in bad shape even after polishing. 10 years of Texas sun have done them in.

I looked at OEM $358/each, TYC, Depo $126-$142/each, and at 11 other brands that may actually be rebranded TYC/Depo/No-name stuff.

The OEM are way expensive. TYC and Depo look Ok as budget goes. The rest I do not care about. I've used Depo for my 97 Toyota and although not same quality, they do have clear lens while OEM does not.

Reading the posts here I got people highly satisfied to people horrified when it comes to TYC. Depo got no negative reviews but the guys that work with both said they are comparable to TYC.

Given the retrofit is replacing the low beam projectors the only thign that matters is the high beam and the overall fit with the car.

So what is your experience?

Thanks

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
446 Posts
Have you considered getting lights from wrecked cars? I got a great set of oem left and right ones for not much over what depos cost. Takes a bit of patience and searching but they are out there.

Have Acura MDX projectors in mine, Phillips bulbs, TRS black series lenses, and custom cut offs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have Acura MDX projectors in mine, Phillips bulbs, TRS black series lenses, and custom cut offs.
That looks like a lot of custom work.

I'm looking for used to, but that takes time and the conditions vary so much online. Plus usually the conditions are usually overstated. No luck on the local junk yard.

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
446 Posts
had someone do it actually =). Some pics are still up at:

I still have the original oem lights that came with the car. Always thought about selling but cant bring myself to do it.

might actually try to ask the folks over there at HIDplanet. They may know alot more on Depo vs TYC

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Read the thread ... so you are using MDX which year? Is it 2010-2013?
The ballasts look Morimoto. What kind and power? What bulbs? What harness? I mean I see what he used but how about what you used?

If I read it well he just replaced the projector. He could have stopped there but he wanted to improve the cutoff further from MDX stock so he mooded the shields. Have I got it right?

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
568 Posts
I used TYC on my Morimoto kit. I'd buy TYC again.
This is a vehicle specific kit for our cars.
Possibly the same one you got. The high beams are the best part! First off the factory high beams are untouched. They work as before. The low beam projector gets replaced with a Bi-Xenon projector which has a cutoff shield for low beams. High beams un-shield the bi-xenons for full illumination, as well as the factory highs. Stack 2 small washers, (per hole), on the bottom 2 screw holes for perfect aiming. The high and low beams are not independently adjustable so that is important. Did you get brackets like these? (Mini H1) The silver version worked, the black was way off.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Some photos of TYC Outback HID Retrofit.

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
204 Posts
I used TYC on my Morimoto kit. I'd buy TYC again.
This is a vehicle specific kit for our cars.
Possibly the same one you got. The high beams are the best part! First off the factory high beams are untouched. They work as before. The low beam projector gets replaced with a Bi-Xenon projector which has a cutoff shield for low beams. High beams un-shield the bi-xenons for full illumination, as well as the factory highs. Stack 2 small washers, (per hole), on the bottom 2 screw holes for perfect aiming. The high and low beams are not independently adjustable so that is important. Did you get brackets like these? (Mini H1) The silver version worked, the black was way off.

Holy shizzle! The brackets alone are $70... Don't suppose you thought to fab-up a few extras using that as a template, did you? ;-)

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get brackets like these?
I do not know. I have not yet received them from TRS.

I have played with H1 7.0 before (I own a v.7 and a v.6 set) and I was not very impressed. They do not compare with the OEM D2S systems. But before kaitanium post I did not know there is a relatively easy way to get D2S projectors in Outback lamps. I actually asked TRS support and they said it will not fit. This is why I went and ordered the Retro-Quik kit.

But now I'm inclined to send the H1 back and get the black series reflectors more exactly Maxima OEM HID projectors for 2009-2015 cause they are easy to get. Other options are Lexus RX300 or Acura MDX. The RX300 are a bit more work. Maxima and MDX are easy fit with just cutting some of the metal but MDX are not easy to get. They are not bi-xenon but that is Ok for '09 Outback.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The bare brackets are $30
D2S are better than MiniH1s primarily for bulb selection. I had FX-Rs in my old Legacy and was a bit skeptical going to Mini H1s when I got this Outback. The light output is fine in the Minis. The cutoff is about twice the size. Crisp lines. Wide dispersion.
Get 55 watt ballasts,(same price), and select a bulb Kelvin rating 1 step higher than you want the end result to be. More powerful ballasts lower the kelvin output. It will be brighter but yellower. A 5500K rated bulb will output around 4500K but it will be noticeably brighter, especially on the side fill.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read advice against 55W ballasts. They were saying ti will damage the projector over time if the projector was designed for 35W. The 2010 Maxima projectors I got are for 35W.

·
Registered
568 Posts
55W ballasts won't likely damage the all steel and glass projector. This is 55W Ballasts running 2 year old 4500K bulbs in mine. I'll update you if it melts.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice lights you have.
Unfortunately Maxima projectors are not all steel. The lens holder is plastic.

Good link for the brackets. I might have used them with the H1 v6 projectors I have in the garage. But now I'm fully on getting D2S in so I'm not going to use them for Maxima/Black Series projectors. They have 2 same mounting points as the Outback. The others two (top) require some trimming and making 2 new holes - very easy stuff. As you see they are not plug and play but close enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts