Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get an Inverter instead of splurging money on various car chargers (iPhone 5, camera, tablet etc) please suggest a good inverter to which wont damage OB's electrical system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you talking about a power inverter? Like 12v DC to 110v AC? Any inverter will work fine, and you don't need a powerful one to charge electronics. Also, consider just getting a USB charger that fits in the 12v socket (cig lighter). Those work great and you can charge anything that has a USB charging cable.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I have a plug-in inverter that I carry in my glove box. Otherwise, like jonlong724 mentioned, you can get a 12V power socket insert that has 2 USB outlets; one for i-phones/i-Pods and the other one for other cell phones.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
There is a smaller unit (also from Bestek) that just plugs in and stays (the whole inverter) in 12V socket... That is the one that I bought...

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
No inverter will hurt your car if you install it properly with an appropriate fuse. Most inverters include this. Make sure you know what kind of fuse and how to change it.

Some small inverters have cooling fans and require airflow. Some use cheap noisy fans, so consider that for mount locations.

Apart from those your next concern should be the cleanliness of the AC output power. Many cheap inverters produce a square wave or modified sine wave output. Most battery chargers won't care. Some will run hot or charge more slowly on dirty power like that. Some other devices (fans and audiovisual gear especially) just don't work right unless you have pure sine wave power. An inverter capable of pure sine wave output usually costs a bit more.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Be careful: 300W / 12V = 25 amps! (even at 100% efficiency)

Although the photo shows a cigarette lighter plug, 25 amps
would instantly blow the fuses on the OB's power ports, and
there's NO WAY that the wiring harness was designed for that
much current -- so don't even consider using oversized fuses.

You would absolutely have to connect it directly to the battery,
with heavy gauge wire and an appropriate fuse.

Looby

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Follow Looby's notes above!

I have a little light weight one have had it for years bought it from sharper Image back in the day before they went under. Can't recall its numbers but we have used it for years to charge laptops - phones etc. Very flat profile with a quiet fan nice quality kept in a flat zippered pouch has been great. We have taken it over seas on boat charter trips a few times also.

I bought a cheap/little more advanced one with a larger capacity and proper heavy cable poles on it which we put on our sailboat wired into the power panel which we power a 15inch LCD TV - DVD player or charge laptops off of when we are off dock power. It has a digital display for battery voltage and a cut off feature to prevent running the battery down - its pretty small has two plug outlets maybe the size of a softball but with a flat profile. Didn't get too fancy found it at Costco for a decent price a few years back. Works great zero issues.

The biggest thing is knowing the limitations of inverters and not expecting to power large power hungry home appliances with them.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I didn't mention it in my post but looby is correct- you will need to connect it directly to the battery with thick new wires for safety and performance reasons.

8ga. stranded wire should be about right for a 25-30A load such as a 300W inverter. Typical efficiency for the cheap ones is around 75%.

We run a small house off a larger inverter- 2000W. I feed it with 0000 gauge wires.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be running battery chargers (Laptop/Phone/Tablet/Camera) off this inverter and won't be using it for any sort of home appliances. I suppose with my usage, I should be fine connecting the inverter to the cigarette lighter outlet.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'll be running battery chargers (Laptop/Phone/Tablet/Camera) off this inverter and won't be using it for any sort of home appliances. I suppose with my usage, I should be fine connecting the inverter to the cigarette lighter outlet.
Yes just do not go over board on the inverter get a lighter weight one that doesn't draw as much power. Inverters are not efficient they use more power than they put out so getting one that will meet your needs and is not beyond your needs is a good thing given it will draw less power. Also never use them with the engine turned off Always have the car running when your using it. Even the small inverters will run the little battery in the subaru down fast.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I already ordered the bestek inverter :)
I can't remember the last time ours was out of the car. Small flat zipper pouch fits in the glove box never leaves the car. Good luck any of the half way decent small units will do a good job. All of the small electronics are actually based on 12v systems anyway. Most people don't realize that. Even our 15inch LCD TV bought at Best Buy is actually a 12volt TV. Same goes for Laptops. Its a little a$$ backwards to have to convert from 12volt to house current to charge or run 12volt devices but thats the world we live in. LOL

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I suppose with my usage, I should be fine connecting the
inverter to the cigarette lighter outlet.
Only if nothing goes wrong with the inverter's internals, AND if
everyone with access to it understands & remembers the likely
consequences of going berserk with the bestek. OTOH, it might
be kinda cool to turn a Soobie into a Boeing 787 simulator.

...First Law of Engineering: "Murphy was an optimist."

Looby

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can I run Eureka handheld 71B vaccum cleaner off the bestek Inverter? this vaccum cleaner says it uses 5.5Amps motor. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-71B-Hand-Held-Vacuum/dp/B0006HUYGM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361468916&sr=8-2&keywords=car+vacuum+cleaner[/ame]

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Try it all the new inverters have enough logic and protections in them they will cut off the power if the draw is to much. I can say that our little hand vac on the boat doesn't play nice with our cheapie digital two plug inverter which has proper large heavy gauge wire to a proper power panel with two Group 31's power it. Been a long time since I looked at its rating and the inverters rating but first guess would be probably not. For the car I just use the shopvac at home. If we are on the road I use a cheap little compact Ikea brush and dust pan that fits under the floor in the foam bin to clean things up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try it all the new inverters have enough logic and protections in them they will cut off the power if the draw is to much. I can say that our little hand vac on the boat doesn't play nice with our cheapie digital two plug inverter which has proper large heavy gauge wire to a proper power panel with two Group 31's power it. Been a long time since I looked at its rating and the inverters rating but first guess would be probably not. For the car I just use the shopvac at home. If we are on the road I use a cheap little compact Ikea brush and dust pan that fits under the floor in the foam bin to clean things up.
Just read on Amazon Q/A that this Vaccum may require 2000W continuous rated inverter, the bestek I have is 300W rate. I think I will not take the risk of blowing out the car electrical system. After my recent brutal on car Death Valley trip, my brand new OB looks like a car where someone was living in it for 2 years, it needs some cleaning. :(

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just read on Amazon Q/A that this Vaccum may require 2000W continuous rated inverter, the bestek I have is 300W rate. I think I will not take the risk of blowing out the car electrical system. After my recent brutal on car Death Valley trip, my brand new OB looks like a car where someone was living in it for 2 years, it needs some cleaning. :(
Yep been there done that. Hit it with the shopvac.

When you get a chance list your Death Valley points of interest on that thread. I have on the bucket list to get down there for the bloom at some point.

I use our little hand vac on the boat when we are hooked to shore power 110v fed to the boat's systems which powers properly wired house plugs. When plugged in at the dock we have standard house 110 plugs through out the boat for home electrics etc. When we are off the grid - the little inverter I need to go look at its rating will run our 15inch LCD TV which is actually a 12volt TV with a converter box on the stock power cord LOL. We charge things like the Laptop and the hand held VHF radio off the little inverter also. Works great but all of those things have a lower draw than the vac.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep been there done that. Hit it with the shopvac.

When you get a chance list your Death Valley points of interest on that thread. I have on the bucket list to get down there for the bloom at some point.

I use our little hand vac on the boat when we are hooked to shore power 110v fed to the boat's systems which powers properly wired house plugs. When plugged in at the dock we have standard house 110 plugs through out the boat for home electrics etc. When we are off the grid - the little inverter I need to go look at its rating will run our 15inch LCD TV which is actually a 12volt TV with a converter box on the stock power cord LOL. We charge things like the Laptop and the hand held VHF radio off the little inverter also. Works great but all of those things have a lower draw than the vac.
I can't plug in Shop Vac since there is no outlet in my car port. I probably will buy this little handheld vaccum and use a friends place to clean the car.

Edit: On the points of interests, this was my second trip to Death Valley and kept it completely away from touristy spots. I will Update the thread with the places I visited last week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts