Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 66" Yakima Bars, Rail Grabs, and the Evenkeels for our two kayaks on our Odyssey. Since the Landing Pads aren't yet out for the 2013 Outback, I am thinking about getting some J Cradles.

I am looking for recommendations between Yakima, Thule, Malone, Sportrack, etc. I really do not need anything fancy like fold down options, just standard J Cradles.

Or I could just still use the Odyssey until Yakima releases new landing pads.

What would you do in my situation???

Thanks in advance!

-JRab :)

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
925 Posts
I use a Thule Hullavator, but that's because I load the boat alone at home. Most of my kayaking friends prefer saddles front and back or rollers in back with saddles up front. They don't stick up and catch as much air when they aren't being used.

J cradles are better when you don't carry the same kayak every time, because there is no spacing to adjust for hull size. That's handy if you haul friend's boats. J cradles are easier to put on and remove if you plan on doing that. J cradles also allow more than two boats to fit on the vehicle. One downside of J cradles is that they may not fit through garage doors. I would also expect a lot of wind noise from them.

Most of these items seem to be fairly comparable across the brands. One item that is worth mentioning is the Thule 855XT ratchet ropes for bow and stern. Much faster and easier than plain rope for secondary attachment.

·
Registered
'13 BBP SAP 2.5
90 Posts
What kayaks are you carrying? Also, do you plan on leaving the racks attached all times?

Answers to those questions will guide you to the right attachments.

(note: I mostly carry whitewater kayaks- playboats and creekers in fall/spring, and use the yakima bigstack which folds down when not in use. I also have thule j cradles for my bigger,longer rec kayaks)

·
Registered
'13 BBP SAP 2.5
90 Posts
in that case, I wouldn't sweat it much. If i were you, i would just search your local craigslist for 'kayak rack' or the such and take whatever you can find used and cheap. My thule j craddles work just fine for the rec boats.

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5 Premium, MT, with a bigger than factory horn
5 Posts
I carry a Pungo 12 on Thule J cradles. Works good even at highway speeds. The only downside is the car won't fit in the garage with the carrier on

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium
76 Posts
The "J" cradles like the Yakima Bow Down work pretty well. They are stable and hold the boat well. The other option, my preference, if you have the room on your rack is the Mako Saddles with the Hully Rollers. I have found it makes loading the boat by yourself much easier. Plus, it holds the boat in a very stable manor. You can also get something like the land shark that hold the boat very well. The type of rack depends on how much "real estate" you have on you rack. If you are using the factory bars, the best option would be the Bow Down. Have confidence in anything you choose that is Yakima.
Patrick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts