Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am in the market for a used Outback. My 98 needs head gaskets and is not worth fixing. My budget is around $7k-$7500. I have found many gen 2 in that range, but I've also seen a few gen 3's. I'd much rather squeeze into a gen 3 if possible as they seem to be slightly better in build quality, not to mention newer overall.

My question is what I should be looking for in higher mileage gen 3's? Would I be satisfied with a 2.5i? I have seen quite a few 2.5i's, one or 2 LL Beans and one or 2 XT's. I am trying to stay in the 100k-150k mileage range. I am really leaning towards the 6 cyl or the turbo. I know a lot of this is personal taste, but I am looking for opinions on higher mileage gen 3's and if there are any big issues I should be aware of regarding the turbo, 4cyl or 6cyl. I'd like to keep this car for a long time, so I am just doing my homework.

ps: I am well aware that all used cars are different and there is no guarantee.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
OK, I am in the market for a used Outback. My 98 needs head gaskets and is not worth fixing. My budget is around $7k-$7500. I have found many gen 2 in that range, but I've also seen a few gen 3's. I'd much rather squeeze into a gen 3 if possible as they seem to be slightly better in build quality, not to mention newer overall.

My question is what I should be looking for in higher mileage gen 3's? Would I be satisfied with a 2.5i? I have seen quite a few 2.5i's, one or 2 LL Beans and one or 2 XT's. I am trying to stay in the 100k-150k mileage range. I am really leaning towards the 6 cyl or the turbo. I know a lot of this is personal taste, but I am looking for opinions on higher mileage gen 3's and if there are any big issues I should be aware of regarding the turbo, 4cyl or 6cyl. I'd like to keep this car for a long time, so I am just doing my homework.

ps: I am well aware that all used cars are different and there is no guarantee.
It might be very hard to find a ready-to-roll XT in that price range. You will definitely find a few in that bracket, but they will likely need a kilobuck or two in maintenance right away, and you do NOT want to defer maintenance on an XT.

I say look for an H6. High miles mean less to that version than anything else Subaru made in those years.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be very hard to find a ready-to-roll XT in that price range. You will definitely find a few in that bracket, but they will likely need a kilobuck or two in maintenance right away, and you do NOT want to defer maintenance on an XT.

I say look for an H6. High miles mean less to that version than anything else Subaru made in those years.
Thanks for the reply. I also need to keep in mind, as much as I miss driving a stick, I always have 1 or 2 dogs in the car and they are always bouncing around, so a stick would probably be a no-go.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
6 cylinder for higher mileage, lower ownership cost
XT for fun factor if you like to maintain your car yourself.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts