Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all 3.0r’s have VDC in this gen? I was looking at a 2006 3.0r duotone, and a 2008 3.0r 5 speed sports shift. Was wanting to get one with the best potential traction when conditions are poor, also had a 2007 forester (black leather trim with sunroof, must be one of the luxury models) with limited slip diff on my list as well. Missed out on a MY09 forester.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
“Last year VDC was only on the XT turbo and 3.0R LL Bean. This is the first year the VDC system has been offered on anything other than the Outback XT, Outback 3.0R LL Bean, and Tribeca models.”
“VTD with VDC on 5speed automatic tranmissions (XT turbo, 3.0R 6 cylinder models). VTD Variable Torque Distribution traction control system has 45/55 performance oriented, front/rear power split with Limited Slip rear axle.”
This means any 2008 5 speed 3 litre model has it?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,076 Posts
“Last year VDC was only on the XT turbo and 3.0R LL Bean. This is the first year the VDC system has been offered on anything other than the Outback XT, Outback 3.0R LL Bean, and Tribeca models.”
“VTD with VDC on 5speed automatic tranmissions (XT turbo, 3.0R 6 cylinder models). VTD Variable Torque Distribution traction control system has 45/55 performance oriented, front/rear power split with Limited Slip rear axle.”
In the US I believe that's accurate but I'm not sure if it is also true across the pond.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
402 Posts
This switchpod, which should be lower-outboard of the steering wheel for both LHD & RHD, will have the car squiggly tracks OFF button if VDC is present. Except for the very 1st year of VDC in the US (2001?) we have always had an OFF button, I expect it's the same in other countries.

·
Registered
2008 USDM Outback 3.0R 6MT
50 Posts
Yep - look for the traction control button. My 08 3.0R LL Bean (with standard VDC) does MUCH better with a wheel off the ground than most subarus - Almost no wheelspin whatsoever compared to new outbacks and crosstreks or older cars.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,839 Posts
any fuse that says something about ABS on 2.5 models without VDC will be just ABS fuse and on VDC model it will say ABS (VDC) . you can remove that one fuse and put car on ignition and lights about ABS and Traction control will appear. TC only goes with VDC. but yh there will be button for it as in pic showed .
as VDC TC uses brakes , so TC will work just as good as your brakes are. so make sure pads are good and nothing is stuck and rusted there. so if your wheel is in air and its not stoping so well , make sure your brakes are perfect there.
if you have this , you golden

Reactions: Rcnesneg

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,087 Posts
Limited-slip was only offered on the XT model, in 2005-07 before VDC was introduced.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
648 Posts
any fuse that says something about ABS on 2.5 models without VDC will be just ABS fuse and on VDC model it will say ABS (VDC) . you can remove that one fuse and put car on ignition and lights about ABS and Traction control will appear. TC only goes with VDC. but yh there will be button for it as in pic showed .
as VDC TC uses brakes , so TC will work just as good as your brakes are. so make sure pads are good and nothing is stuck and rusted there. so if your wheel is in air and its not stoping so well , make sure your brakes are perfect there.
I noticed something I don't quite understand on my '11 Legacy 6mt. If I turn traction control OFF and intentionally spin my tires in the snow, I can still hear the ABS pump activate. Also, the ABS pump sounds absolutely horrendous. Like someone throwing gravel at the passenger fender. Never heard an ABS pump that loud and grindy before.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0
90 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I noticed something I don't quite understand on my '11 Legacy 6mt. If I turn traction control OFF and intentionally spin my tires in the snow, I can still hear the ABS pump activate. Also, the ABS pump sounds absolutely horrendous. Like someone throwing gravel at the passenger fender. Never heard an ABS pump that loud and grindy before.
Yes because VDC itself will still work will still use ABS just tc off will let those revs raise higher. Maybe your brake pads ending or something there can be stuck so it needs to work harder to apply brakes. Check your brakes.
Though its hard to tell every year model and diff gearboxes how that vdc will work there, you can remove abs fuse so you wont have abs then working and see then.

Reactions: Plastixx

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,087 Posts
This is incorrect (I'm pretty sure). 2005 LL Beans came with rear limited slips and VTD. Mine does not have traction control.

According to the catalog, it uses the same p/n 38312AA050 as my 2006 Tribeca. That unit is not limited-slip, but of course, catalogs are known to contain errors, especially when it comes to parts that differ across several trim levels. I only looked into this when briefly considering an upgrade to LSD unit (same gear ratio 43/12=3.583 on those), but that wouldn't make much difference because of VDC operating the brakes anyway.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
648 Posts
Yes because VDC itself will still work will still use ABS just tc off will let those revs raise higher.
Yes, that's it. I noticed I could rev higher before the pump kicked on, just thought it wasn't supposed to at all with TC off. Thanks

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0
90 Posts
According to the catalog, it uses the same p/n 38312AA050 as my 2006 Tribeca. That unit is not limited-slip, but of course, catalogs are known to contain errors, especially when it comes to parts that differ across several trim levels. I only looked into this when briefly considering an upgrade to LSD unit (same gear ratio 43/12=3.583 on those), but that wouldn't make much difference because of VDC operating the brakes anyway.
That part number is for the housing - not the actual differential gear. The Tribeca and Outback/Legacy all used the same housing but with carrier types (it seems since you're saying your Tribeca doesn't have a rear limited slip).

Trust me when I say I'm am fully aware that my 2005 LL Bean H6 has a rear limited slip haha. It's very obvious in loose conditions.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,456 Posts
2000 up JDM H6 cars with automatic have the VTD center diff. One 2001-2004 USDM H6 car came with the VTD; the VDC wagon and sedans. All 3.0R designated cars in all markets have the VTD with a 5EAT transmission. The VDC badge was dropped, but the software and management remained. It's not referred to as ABS any longer after 2004 JDM and 2005 USDM. ABS is the VDC control module.

On the LL Bean, (USDM), you have to designate whether it's a H4 Bean or an H6 Bean. The H4 Bean had the MPT center diff like all H4 cars of the same generations, it just got the Bean trim.

The 3.6R is also VDC with a VTD center diff.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
And some of those with vdc still got lsd ir rear and some not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there any actual hardware missing from models without VDC/TC vs ideals that have it etc? Or is it simply an addition inside the ECU?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts