Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i. Approximately 75,000 miles. Purchased used 11/29/19
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Veepeak OBDcheck BLE+ for Christmas.

It says ios capable. But I have to load an app onto my iPhone 6.

I am wondering which app to download from the App store. I would prefer free app. OBD fusion costs $10 and don’t want to pay the money unless I know for a fact it works in iphone 6 and with this device.

Anyone else have a good app they loke with iphone (iOS)? Most everything I read is for torque but that is only supported for android devices.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,173 Posts
I use inCarDoc on my SE which is supposed to be about the same gen processor as a 6. I use the free version and it works with the VeePeak wifi connection fine. It does't have any fancy graphics but gives basic data and capability to clear codes. It does not give transmission temp (not that I can find).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downloaded “car scanner ELM”. But not sure if it works with only the ELM OBD unit and not the Veepeak OBD unit I bought.

Have not had time to go play in the garage to find out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously. No one uses an iphone for their OBD with suggestions?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
916 Posts
I use the $4 Car Scanner App with an iPhone SE, iPad 2 and Xr. Works great with this $13 Wifi adapter that you can now get for $4.25 through Walmart's website. Bluetooth ELM 327 adapters do not usually work per se with iOS but work fine with Android. I have both. Both work on Android but for iOS, only the Wifi version works.

Car scanner is highly customizable to make instrument readouts, charts and perform diagnostics and reset CEL codes. Well worth the $4 I paid for it. You can D/L a demo for free.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ELM app nkw works with iOS. But I have a veepeak OBD. And I do not know if the ELM app will work with the Veepeak OBS plug in. Or if the App will only work with proprietary ELM OBD plug in module.

I hate to buy an app and then it not work or have features I like.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
916 Posts
The demo version of the App is free. If it does not work with your plug in module, the paid version will not work but you haven't spent anything. Try the demo apps to see if any of them work.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The free app on the apple store was called "Car Scanner ELM". ANd it looks a lot like the screen shot you show above. The app store does not have a paid version that shows up on the search.

The search on apple store does show a few others. One I have heard about OBD Fusion is probably good, but it is $10. Another is "OBD Auto Doctor", and another being BlueDriver OBD2 scan tool".

I guess I will download a few of the free apps and see which ones work and which one I like the best.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you are right. In fine print it states that to unlock all the features, there is a cost. Apparently reading through the reviews, it is between $3 and $5. which is still about half the cost of other apps. So probably a good deal. People rating the car scanner app rate it at 4.7 out of 5. So that says something, with several commenters stating that they paid for the premium cost which presumably is $5 because the app is so good.

One thing I don't know is if that is a one time fee, or if that is an ongoing periodic or monthly fee.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
204 Posts
Doesn't the tool have it’s own dedicated app? I bought a GoPoint tool several years ago and as far as I know, no other app will work with it aside from the GoPoint app. This may have been one of the early tools that was made to work with cellphone. Some of the later tools do a lot more than mine, because GoPoint just reads codes and also shows alot of systems and their values when running.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I gather, Veepeak is extremely popular and good OBD dongle which is why I went with it.

No the veepeak did NOT come with software or app. They did list a few apps to use. And it is compatible with both android and iOS. Which is another reason I chose veepeak.

I hope to play with it later today. Of course today it is 32 degrees and raining!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I plugged in my veepeak and it gives a red fail light. Not the correct blue light!

What could cause this? I thought the obd things were universal!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.

So I found out that it is possible that the fuse is blown for the OBD port. At least that is what some YouTube videos suggest. They ususally say it is the cigar or aux charging port fuse.

i doubt this is the problem as I have been using both the main aux charging port as well as the aux in the center counsel and both work.

I looked in manual and the only thing that is labled is the aux power and is in the fuse box above the OBD port as fuse #20 which is a 10 amp fuse. I pulled the fuse and it looks fine. I reinserted it. I could not replace with a different 10 amp fuse as there was not another spare 10 amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse box that holds spare fuses.

Also, I noticed when I plug the Veepeak OBD 2 dongle into the port, for a brief milisecond, it will flash a blue light, but then immediately goes red and remains red. I cannot wiggle or move the OBD dongle in any way such that I get the blue light to come back on or remain on. What the **** is the problem? Do I have a bad OBD 2 connector, or a faulty OBD dongle?

Also the whole under dash panel that the OBD port is connected too is loose. Is it supposed to be "floppy"? I don't see where any connectors to hold it in place are missing?

This OBD thing works simply for everyone else. Why am I having so much problem? I was really looking forward to having more data and displays etc. But so far it has been a total bust!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,127 Posts
yeah I got nothing as I use android and OBD Lynx MX+. I can get mode 6 and 9 data with that and it is very useful. for me so far. Downside is it took them forever to get to the current level of support and they do not support Subaru specific modules

They do offer a iOS option

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,127 Posts
OK it looks like OBD Lynx made a huge update to their firmware/software suite...It now works properly with the 2010 outback and 2014 Legacy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts