Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you like. I was thinking something simple that will hook up to the droid. Want something that covers toyota 09 corolla and outback 09.
Amazon had a
ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows for 50 including software

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android. I would then find some software from the play store.
thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I use a cheap "code puller" scan tool with limited diagnostics capabilities.

I would actually MUCH prefer buying a program & connector to allow me to connect with my laptop and run more detailed diagnostics on my 2012 and 2014 Outbacks.

What do you others recommend?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was just going to ask.this question. I bought the cheap Bluetooth one on Amazon, but I haven't put it in. Mainly because my kid cleaned off the dining room table and has no idea where it went.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
804 Posts
At first, I got a $50 Harbor Freight OBDII scanner and it works very well as a shop tool. I then wanted something that I could use while driving around on a longer term basis. I bought a cheap generic ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII dongle which worked fine with my Nexus 7 and Android phone using freeware. The dongle was less than $20. The bluetooth ELM327's don't work with Apple products because IOS cripples Bluetooth. If you want to do this with an iPhone or iPad, you'll need to buy a Wifi OBDII dongle. I bought one of those too and it worked fine with both my iPhone and iPad with a bunch of freeware apps.

My "permanent" OBDII monitoring system consists of the UltraGauge wired unit for $80 (I thought I paid about $10 less a year ago). They also make a wireless version for use with phones, but I didn't want to tie up a phone for the duration of a trip. I have it set up to give me digital speed, instantaneous MPG, trip MPG, gallons remaining, miles remaining and coolant temperature. Most of these can be seen on the instrument cluster and OBW multi-function readout, but not simultaneously. You can set up to 8 readouts per page and up to 7 pages. I like the 6 readout display better because it gives 2 big readouts and 4 smaller ones rather than 8 small readouts. The coolant dial on the OB instrument cluster is highly non-linear and very compressed in the normal operating range of the cooling system. With the digital readout, by reading the precise temperature, I can see when the thermostat opens up and closes to be sure everything is working.

You can also read and clear diagnostic codes but it doesn't translate the numeric code to english text (that's what your smartphone is for). One time, my wife was stranded with a dead transmission on our 18 month old Nissan Altima. I took the UltraGauge with me to pick her up, saw P0750 and looked it up on my phone. Saw that it was a transmission solenoid problem, called the dealer and they knew of the problems in these cars. They arranged for a tow, rental car and was ready for us when we arrived just before closing. Very helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the "BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool" that I purchased from Amazon and the "Piston" app on Android. Works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
up
At first, I got a $50 Harbor Freight OBDII scanner and it works very well as a shop tool.
I bought the Cen-Tech Deluxe scan tool at Harbor Freight (#62119), but after repeated tries, it won't link/connect to my '99 OB. According to their customer reviews, this one supposedly doesn't work w/Subarus. Can someone recommend a reliable tool that will read & reset codes for a Gen I OB?

Now I have to return it and pay a restock fee (so much for the 20% off). :crying:
UPDATE: Returned it yesterday and got a full refund; no restock fee.

·
Registered
111 Posts
BtSSM, uses the factory SSM protocol, customizable displays, logging, etc.

BtSsm: Adapter+app combo to view/log/graph ECU data from your Subaru

Developed by user "heiche" at legacygt.com. He's active on that forum and there's a lot of folks using it.

His own bluetooth OBDII adapter looks like the best method, but I use the cheaper/wired method of $10 KKL OBD2->USB 2.0 cable, to a $5 USB OTG cable, to my phone.

·
Super Moderator
25,185 Posts
BtSSM has a limited number of subaru vehicles supported at this point. (2002 = WRX only, so none of mine :frown2: )
one can check it out here: http://www.btssm.com/?page=buy

I have been using Rom Raider on a windows laptop, which links to both my cars

and the overly simple (almost useless) FreeSSM on a windows laptop, which gets my H6 only. (can't get the H4 one).

and $5 Torque Pro on a Andriod phone. (which works on lots more then subaru)

_____

with $5 torque pro:
I use this $17 Wifi ODBC wireless dongle by Veepeak:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE

I use it with my droid phone, I have yet to try it with the laptop. (needs to be a droid with old 4.0 or newer,...my phone cost $30).

______

and a nice cheap $11 Vag cord with romraider for logging / reading codes. (not the expensive tactrix things for the turbo people reflashing).

______

and made this thread a sticky.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depending on what gen you have the car will pull codes for you. This works on my 09 Outback:
The Procedure - Checking Subaru DTC Codes

starting condition: key off, headlight switch off.

Steps 1 through 7 must be performed within 10 seconds.

1. Turn key to ON position. This is the normal running position, the click just before starting, when all the lights on the dash come on, but before you twist to START. Don't start the engine!

2. Within 3 seconds, turn the headlight switch ON.

3. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

4. Turn the headlight switch OFF.

5. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

6. Turn headlight swtich ON.

7. Press Trip/Odometer button 4 times. At this point, the DTC display will begin.

8. Turn headlight switch OFF. Not necessary for the procedure, but your display may be dimmed and hard to read in bright sunlight. Besides, why drain the battery?

·
Registered
1 Posts
disconnect battery

disconnect battery - this disables/clears codes for 2012 OB. See if codes reoccur, then diagnose.... I was looking for a simple answer to anti skid/cruise light flashing and check engine light. just remove power first!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm using an ieGeek wifi OBD (ELM327) adapter and Torque Pro with the ActiveOBD plugin. Works great! Took me awhile to get ActiveOBD going...choose 'Torque' as your interface option, not wifi/bluetooth (duh!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bosch

I've used a Bosch 1050 Mobile Scanner I picked up at a NAPA store, along with the App which works pretty good aside from the software taking some getting use to. It's come in handy with my 1996 Outback :surprise:.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Here's a setup using Torque (free version) and a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter on an obsolete Android (Alcatel One Touch Fierce). No cell service, just being used as a display device and GPS.

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
BtSSM has been mentioned above. Here's my setup with BtSSM on a 7-inch tablet linked to the ECM/TCM via the BtSSM bluetooth adapter. The PIDs displayed are just a selection from a longer list of available PIDs. BtSSM can display data in different formats, and can record it in a spreadsheet file for later viewing. However, it's only Subaru, so won't meet the dual preference of the OP.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,185 Posts
BtSSM has been mentioned above. Here's my setup with BtSSM on a 7-inch tablet linked to the ECM/TCM via the BtSSM bluetooth adapter. The PIDs displayed are just a selection from a longer list of available PIDs. BtSSM can display data in different formats, and can record it in a spreadsheet file for later viewing. However, it's only Subaru, so won't meet the dual preference of the OP.

instead of the screen hogging up those vents,... like in my car,

you might be able to get one of these like Neo in the Matrix,...and get fed the realtime data without looking at the screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a Vgate Bluetooth OBD adapter that I got on Amazon, Torque Pro on my phone for quick code pulling, and TouchScan (can't link it, post count too low) with the Professional add-on with my laptop. Really nice software for the price, pretty robust really.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have an older handheld unit as well as a Tactrix cable for my laptop - but I'm considering getting a Veepeak BT unit to pair with my phone.
Me too. Just now learning some about these things.

Did you get a Veepeak BT, and if so, what do you think of it please?

I wonder whether or not the Veepeak Mini is sufficient. From reading product descriptions on Amazon, I gather that the BT has more diagnostic skills than the mini. Maybe should just get the BT.
Today Amazon has it for $30 versus $17 for the mini.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
no, haven't really been able to 'prioritize' that purchase (keyword for lazy I guess)

I have read that some of the smaller units are difficult to remove in some cars due to the surround plastic and how tight/deep the 'cut-out' is for the OBDII connector. Yet, don't wanna hit it with my knee either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
32 Participants
TheDobstopper
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing