Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
What do you like. I was thinking something simple that will hook up to the droid. Want something that covers toyota 09 corolla and outback 09.
Amazon had a
ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows for 50 including software

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android. I would then find some software from the play store.
thanks
I bought the BAFX products dongle but it didn't work so I returned it and got the OBDLink LX one which has been working fine. I haven't used it to record live data yet, but I like to view my o2 sensors, fuel trim and coolant temp.

·
Registered
123 Posts
no, haven't really been able to 'prioritize' that purchase (keyword for lazy I guess)

I have read that some of the smaller units are difficult to remove in some cars due to the surround plastic and how tight/deep the 'cut-out' is for the OBDII connector. Yet, don't wanna hit it with my knee either.
On Amazon, someone said this about a $8 Veepeak flat ribbon extension cable:

"...Helps to keep the OBD Bluetooth out of the way so I don't hit it with my leg..."

"

Reduce the wear and tear on the OBD connector of your vehicle by using a flat flexible ribbon OBD extension cable with low profile J1962 OBD II port connectors. The cable can be bent to the left or right, under, over, or around just about anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-OBD-II-OBD2-Extension-Cable/product-reviews/B01C2M2ZZG/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_txt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#R8BRWZ8L9FO1Z

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Using some cheap bt adapter as most ppl with torque pro on android. It gives all info i could need and even more . if you dig deeper i still not sure what those all tests means there that app gives. But interesting info and even some learning about your car from it.
problem is place were socket is on 2nd gen models and device is not small so its sticks out a lot , with all that its possible to hit it with feet when u go into car and out

Just downloaded btssm will try when have time. It looks like good app

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
On Amazon, someone said this about a $8 Veepeak flat ribbon extension cable:

"...Helps to keep the OBD Bluetooth out of the way so I don't hit it with my leg..."

"

Reduce the wear and tear on the OBD connector of your vehicle by using a flat flexible ribbon OBD extension cable with low profile J1962 OBD II port connectors. The cable can be bent to the left or right, under, over, or around just about anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-OBD-II-OBD2-Extension-Cable/product-reviews/B01C2M2ZZG/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_txt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#R8BRWZ8L9FO1Z
Thats what i was thinking i need too . or just loosen up existing socket place so its loose and you can bend it then and move to side at least

·
Registered
123 Posts
That Veepeak ribbon cable is 3.9 feet long so can use device in the engine room. It has angled connectors.

Could optimize dangle angle

·
Registered
123 Posts
Saw this thread and discussion at subaruforester dot org :

(from June 2015)

Torque Pro caused ECU crash??
Was just testing out Torque on my '14 XT this morning and it seemed to have crashed the ECU! Was able to connect verify the Adapter Status was looking ok, then had to run some errands and turned off the car. When I turned the car back on and reconnected, EVERY SINGLE LIGHT came on.

ABS light on, CEL on, transmission went to S mode, centre display showed all sorts of systems disabled error messages, car was in full limp mode with power steering disabled and everything. Turning car off and back on didn't do anything, codes all stayed in place.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f95/torque-pro-caused-ecu-crash-489961/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Green wires?

Been trying to get FrreSSM to work on my 01 OB and also 01 Forester. Got a cheap Vag cable and a good Vag cable. Also a OBdlink cable. One cable will give a me a comunnications port and everything is fine until I try to com with ECU. I read somewhere that you have to plug green wires under dash together. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I use the "BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool" that I purchased from Amazon and the "Piston" app on Android. Works great.
I use the same adapter, but with OBD Dash.pro on my Windows 10 phones* and laptop. Seems to be a quality adapter, very popular on Amazon.

*Yes, someone bought Windows phones. And they do everything I need for $30 each on a $25 plan. :laugh:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've decided to get an old android tablet and a ODB2 BT devise and run Torque Pro. My code reader doesn't work on my Subie and I want something to give me real time info.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If I get a Wi-Fi ODBII reader, can I expect it to read non-ECU DTC's? Like transmission codes or VDC codes? I've read that apps like Torque have some SSM capabilities but I'm mainly looking for complete diagnostics.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
If I get a Wi-Fi ODBII reader, can I expect it to read non-ECU DTC's? Like transmission codes or VDC codes? I've read that apps like Torque have some SSM capabilities but I'm mainly looking for complete diagnostics.
If all you're looking for is to be able to read DTCs, your 2009 has the built-on reader that covers ECU, TCU, and ABS/VDC codes. (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/19053-05-06-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html)

·
Registered
298 Posts
If all you're looking for is to be able to read DTCs, your 2009 has the built-on reader that covers ECU, TCU, and ABS/VDC codes. (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/19053-05-06-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html)
Yup, I used that to check out a VDC code! I'm more just curious if I can do it with the dongle, seems more convenient plus I can do some simple logging.

Also, I don't know if you can edit other users posts, but starting the car in the DTC view mode was necessary for me to view my VDC code. It showed nothing so I just started my car to move it and the code popped up.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
Also, I don't know if you can edit other users posts, but starting the car in the DTC view mode was necessary for me to view my VDC code. It showed nothing so I just started my car to move it and the code popped up.
No, only the original poster can edit a post, and then only for about 30 days; beyond that no editing is available to posters.

Interesting about the VDC code. Was the VDC or ABS warning light lit before, or was the appearance of the code a complete surprise? Could the code have been a very old one that was disregarded during the "normal" scan of the three modules?

·
Registered
298 Posts
No, only the original poster can edit a post, and then only for about 30 days; beyond that no editing is available to posters.

Interesting about the VDC code. Was the VDC or ABS warning light lit before, or was the appearance of the code a complete surprise? Could the code have been a very old one that was disregarded during the "normal" scan of the three modules?
Sorry, I thougth you were a moderator for some reason :grin2:

The code was present already- my traction control was disabled due to a steering angle sensor problem after rack replacement. I can try again just to see if the same scenario occurs, I have yet to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a quick note on the iPhone models. Since you have to use a wireless connection, you will not be able to receive messages or other notifications on your phone while using the app. This is very inconvenient if you want to are planning on collecting data while driving.
Can be a deal breaker if that's important to you.

·
Registered
572 Posts
All the gauges & apps are nice but with some button touches can't you get your Outback to tell you what's going on? Does anyone know which buttons I have to press in order to get into dealer mode & other secret codes for the 2018 outback touring?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yeah, I tried using a WiFi adapter, and eventually found it easier for my sanity (and I like ActiveOBD's interface better), so I now use an OBDLink LX with ActiveOBD on an Android phone that is not activated.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
32 Participants
TheDobstopper
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing