Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. Apparently, there are a couple of different models, and maybe not all will fit the Outback bumper and sheet metal? Anyone know which JDM years / models fit the Gen 3 Outback? Thanks.

p.s. I am aware of all of the issues - beam shades, leveling motors, wiring, marker lights, etc.

However any info on replacement ballasts and bulbs is appreciated. My understanding is that you can get OEM Phillips bulbs from Toyota. I don't know about the ballasts. These don't usually fail, but just in case.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5i, 2010 MB R350 Diesel, 1991 Toyota MR2 | suspension & braking enthusiast
660 Posts
Oh I'd like to know too. But rather than JDM/Australia model which would have the beam pattern for the wrong side of the road, I'm more interested in European models that have similar beam pattern as North America. If I'm to spend money on better lights, I want them to light the proper part of the road!

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
Is their a reason your looking to go this route rather then just doing retrofits for HID high or running HID in your low beam halogen projectors?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,565 Posts
AFAIK, there are two "housing" designs, just like USDM. USDM uses MY05-MY07, then MY08-MY09 (these are typically referred to as "facelift"). JDM units typically run 2003/01-2006/01 and 2006/01-2008/01 (pre- and post-facelift). Also called revisions A-D and E-F. If they don't have the "undercut" near the corner lens, then it's intended for pre-facelift sheet metal.

There are several variations, like black housings, chrome housings, clear side markers, etc, but the mounting points should be the same for A-D, then E-F.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
I recently replaced my existing headlight assemblies with DEPO brand assemblies which use the original OEM bulbs.

Honestly, I can't imagine wanting the lights to be any brighter. I was actually worried I may blind oncoming traffic but the horizontal "shade" worked as designed.

So, maybe take another look at your lenses - my old assemblies didn't look that bad but the difference is unbelievable!

While the bright blue lights may be good for the driver, oncoming traffic is usually blinded and the blue end of the spectrum is the worst for human eyes to adjust.
So, as a result, this issue becomes a hazard for you as the driver. When you blind oncoming traffic, you are actually endangering yourself!

In researching what I wanted to do with my lights, I read as much information as I could get my hands on and to me, the general consensus appeared to be that retrofits of LED and other types of non OEM lighting doesn't leave the owners very satisfied with the expected results.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I ment do a full retrofit of high and low to bi-HID or just swap HID into the current projectors. Sorry for the confusion.

But if your looking to do it as pointed out by a few a retrofit is going to be alot more cost efficient as well as perform better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried to edit thread. Editor started messing up all the spacing and formatting. Not sure why it does that sometimes. Have a bunch of stuff going on, including finishing up the parts for my motor replacement this morning. Will have to get back to this thread later today. Sorry about that. Thanks for your patience!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is their a reason your looking to go this route rather then just doing retrofits for HID high or running HID in your low beam halogen projectors?
Thanks for clarifiying your post. HID retrofit (aka TRS Retroquick) is new bi-xenon low/hi projectors, ballasts, and bulbs. Low is where you need HID. I am not going to run HID in halogen projectors as some do. That is a cheap but not a good solution IMO.

AFAIK, there are two "housing" designs, just like USDM. USDM uses MY05-MY07, then MY08-MY09 (these are typically referred to as "facelift"). JDM units typically run 2003/01-2006/01 and 2006/01-2008/01 (pre- and post-facelift). Also called revisions A-D and E-F. If they don't have the "undercut" near the corner lens, then it's intended for pre-facelift sheet metal.

There are several variations, like black housings, chrome housings, clear side markers, etc, but the mounting points should be the same for A-D, then E-F.
This is the info I was looking to confirm. 2006+, E-F, 'facelift', and 'undercut'. I sort of pieced this together from a bunch of posts, but wanted to be sure.

Wiring is different IIRC. By the time you are done messing around with wiring and shades you could have quality retrofits built.
(See below)

I recently replaced my existing headlight assemblies with DEPO brand assemblies which use the original OEM bulbs.

Honestly, I can't imagine wanting the lights to be any brighter. I was actually worried I may blind oncoming traffic but the horizontal "shade" worked as designed.

So, maybe take another look at your lenses - my old assemblies didn't look that bad but the difference is unbelievable!

While the bright blue lights may be good for the driver, oncoming traffic is usually blinded and the blue end of the spectrum is the worst for human eyes to adjust.

So, as a result, this issue becomes a hazard for you as the driver. When you blind oncoming traffic, you are actually endangering yourself!

In researching what I wanted to do with my lights, I read as much information as I could get my hands on and to me, the general consensus appeared to be that retrofits of LED and other types of non OEM lighting doesn't leave the owners very satisfied with the expected results.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Yes, it's not just the lenses that take wear, but also the reflectors in the housings, which degrades the light output over time.

Correct, do NOT retofit LED bulbs. Either go with the upgraded halogen bulbs in the OEM halogen projectors (will go find the brand / model and post back - cheap, good upgrade - just bulbs), or use TRS Retroquick HID complete system with HID projectors. Either in old light housings, or new one's.

I have not decided on what route I want to go. I am doing research in preparation for an update. I carry stuff, so for me, having leveling motors would be nice. Wiring is simple-ish. So is the new dash switch pack (OEM JDM w/leveling switch - have one already, with the connectors and pigtails). Toyota sells OEM replacement Phillips HID bulbs for USDM HID cars that are the same as JDM. JDM ballasts can be had as well. I'm sure Toyota sells those too. Toyota makes an OEM USDM harness with connectors for a Lexus or something that fits the JDM Subaru housings.

I can post the numbers for this stuff later, if it is wanted. Yes, this is more work, and more expense. For most, not worth it. I like modding cars tho ;)

If I finish the work on my other car so I have a spare, I might retro the existing USDM lights. My lenses are a little tired - cleaned up well (just hand polished, can still sand / polish w/drill kit), but have tiny cracks starting in them. I would probably just buy new lights (that is a whole other kettle of fish, finding which are the good ones to buy). Then convert those. Then I can drive the car while I do the mods, and I get clear corners. I can post a link to chrome bulbs that light up amber, so clear corners appear totally clear when off.

Aftermarket lights are not always the highest quality. It would be helpful if people can post brands on this, and their experiences. So people know what to buy. Whether new aftermarket housings, or update the stock ones, you still have to open them up to do the retrofit. This is not hard. TRS sells re-sealing kits cheap. So swapping the JDM beam shades is actually no more work than a retrofit. By the time I am done doing all that, it's getting almost as expensive as JDM, and has no leveling. Wiring JDM is all of a couple of hours tops. Again, I like modding cars. Most won't want to do this, and it is more expensive, unless you know tricks for getting JDM stuff cheap(er).

I am seriously outdriving my stock lights. Even with new lenses, I don't think they are going to throw the low beam output I'd like, and high beam needs to be much better. I drive lots of impossibly dark and narrow mountain roads at night, without oncoming traffic, and not slowly. Aircraft landing light high beams would be desirable - LOL :p

In another vehicle, I have OEM JDM HID's with tech a few years earlier than the JDM 06+ Subaru units that fit our cars. Those are low beam HID (no leveling), plus separate halogen high beams and yellow fogs (both higher wattage than stock). I like that setup a lot more than stock. It does not blind (confirmed driving another car, while wifey drives the HID modded one in a variety of situations - following, oncoming, high speed, low speed, highs switching to lows oncoming, cut offs, etc.). NOT swapped beam shades, just adjusted.

All that said, for most people here, the cheapest and 'best' choice will be either upgraded halogen bulbs in stock housings, or TRS Retroquick HID (model specific), in either stock or maybe new aftermarket housings, with additional upgraded halogen high beam bulbs(?), and maybe yellow fog light halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
I highly recommend TRS, I know one of the guys from another forum. Kaizen Lighting also does great work, and does a lot of Subaru stuff. I’m currently deciding on new lights to replace the garbage OEM setup for my Baja Turbo, just trying to decide what I want.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Thanks for clarifiying your post. HID retrofit (aka TRS Retroquick) is new bi-xenon low/hi projectors, ballasts, and bulbs. Low is where you need HID. I am not going to run HID in halogen projectors as some do. That is a cheap but not a good solution IMO.

This is the info I was looking to confirm. 2006+, E-F, 'facelift', and 'undercut'. I sort of pieced this together from a bunch of posts, but wanted to be sure.

(See below)

Yes, it's not just the lenses that take wear, but also the reflectors in the housings, which degrades the light output over time.

Correct, do NOT retofit LED bulbs. Either go with the upgraded halogen bulbs in the OEM halogen projectors (will go find the brand / model and post back - cheap, good upgrade - just bulbs), or use TRS Retroquick HID complete system with HID projectors. Either in old light housings, or new one's.

I have not decided on what route I want to go. I am doing research in preparation for an update. I carry stuff, so for me, having leveling motors would be nice. Wiring is simple-ish. So is the new dash switch pack (OEM JDM w/leveling switch - have one already, with the connectors and pigtails). Toyota sells OEM replacement Phillips HID bulbs for USDM HID cars that are the same as JDM. JDM ballasts can be had as well. I'm sure Toyota sells those too. Toyota makes an OEM USDM harness with connectors for a Lexus or something that fits the JDM Subaru housings.

I can post the numbers for this stuff later, if it is wanted. Yes, this is more work, and more expense. For most, not worth it. I like modding cars tho ;)

If I finish the work on my other car so I have a spare, I might retro the existing USDM lights. My lenses are a little tired - cleaned up well (just hand polished, can still sand / polish w/drill kit), but have tiny cracks starting in them. I would probably just buy new lights (that is a whole other kettle of fish, finding which are the good ones to buy). Then convert those. Then I can drive the car while I do the mods, and I get clear corners. I can post a link to chrome bulbs that light up amber, so clear corners appear totally clear when off.

Aftermarket lights are not always the highest quality. It would be helpful if people can post brands on this, and their experiences. So people know what to buy. Whether new aftermarket housings, or update the stock ones, you still have to open them up to do the retrofit. This is not hard. TRS sells re-sealing kits cheap. So swapping the JDM beam shades is actually no more work than a retrofit. By the time I am done doing all that, it's getting almost as expensive as JDM, and has no leveling. Wiring JDM is all of a couple of hours tops. Again, I like modding cars. Most won't want to do this, and it is more expensive, unless you know tricks for getting JDM stuff cheap(er).

I am seriously outdriving my stock lights. Even with new lenses, I don't think they are going to throw the low beam output I'd like, and high beam needs to be much better. I drive lots of impossibly dark and narrow mountain roads at night, without oncoming traffic, and not slowly. Aircraft landing light high beams would be desirable - LOL :p

In another vehicle, I have OEM JDM HID's with tech a few years earlier than the JDM 06+ Subaru units that fit our cars. Those are low beam HID (no leveling), plus separate halogen high beams and yellow fogs (both higher wattage than stock). I like that setup a lot more than stock. It does not blind (confirmed driving another car, while wifey drives the HID modded one in a variety of situations - following, oncoming, high speed, low speed, highs switching to lows oncoming, cut offs, etc.). NOT swapped beam shades, just adjusted.

All that said, for most people here, the cheapest and 'best' choice will be either upgraded halogen bulbs in stock housings, or TRS Retroquick HID (model specific), in either stock or maybe new aftermarket housings, with additional upgraded halogen high beam bulbs(?), and maybe yellow fog light halogen bulbs.
I had to pay $300 instead of $180 or so to get these assemblies to get the clear corners but I'm glad I did! Like I said before, these are DEPO brand and they fit perfect. Actually, I believe they make the OEM's . For what it's worth, I'd buy them again.

I have the amber bulbs but I would be interested in those you've mentioned that are clear until they come on!

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the link for chrome bulbs, that look 'clear' when off, and light up amber. This is buried in posts from the guys at LegacyGT.com. These guys mod a lot more than the people here. This eliminates the remaining amber look, after you swap lights that have clear corners (a popular update mod), and install an amber bulb to retain the turn signal color. I have no experience with this product, but it's just bulbs. How hard can it be?

Titanium Chrome Series | Autolumination

Other notes: With the TDS Retorquick kit, disable your DRLs (search this site for the mod). I think the TRS supplied harness does this, but not sure.

If upgrading your stock halogen bulbs, do the DRL delete mod also. The DRL delete saves your expensive bulbs / lights, by not running them all the time. DRL = Daytime Running Lamps = low beams on all the time.

One other advantage to JDM (which can be done with new USDM housings), after DRL elimination is: Wire the separate JDM 'city light' bulb in the housing as a DRL.

Also, with the TRS retrofit, select your car model at the website (200x Outback), and then also buy the optional wiring harness. That applies power to your stock high beams, when the HID projectors are on high. This enables your stock halogen high beam to run _in addition_ to the bi-xenon HID's in high beam mode.

If you really still want some kind of DRLs after all these mods on a USDM light, there are mods that accomplish that. Let me know if you want links.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
371 Posts
If you really still want some kind of DRLs after all these mods on a USDM light, there are mods that accomplish that. Let me know if you want links.
My understanding is that TRS kit does not disable DLR in the high beams. Do you know for sure?

I do like the DLR. So can you post the links you mentioned?

Also can you post the updated yellow fog bulbs? I found very good bulbs but not yellow.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
371 Posts
Does anyone know if Morimoto D2S 5.0 projectors fit in place of the OEM projectors? Has anyone tried it? Links?
I wonder why TRS chose to build the retro kit with H1 projectors instead of D2S. The D2S 5.0 are "amazing" according to TRS and the community reviews.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
871 Posts
This is the kit I got from Lightwerkz. I made my own wiring. I installed them in a pair of new aftermarket housings.
My last Subaru had a D2S conversion, currently I have H1. I don't notice much, if any difference in output. I would recommend upgrading to 50 watt ballasts over the regular 35W

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
371 Posts
This is the kit I got from Lightwerkz. I made my own wiring. I installed them in a pair of new aftermarket housings.
That is the kit with H1 projectors. Same as the one sold by TRS. I was asking if the D2S (larger and better) projectors can be used instead.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
871 Posts
That is the kit with H1 projectors. Same as the one sold by TRS. I was asking if the D2S (larger and better) projectors can be used instead.
Not on the brackets supplied. The H1 Mini has great optics with a larger and sharper cut-off than my old D2S'

1 - 17 of 17 Posts