Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the cig lighter is rated for 120v, I'm curious which unit people have used and if it trips out at all? Basically looking for something cheap to inflate the air mattress at the camp site, power a small tv at the tailgate, etc. Should be able to get a reliable unit on Amazon for 20 or 30 bucks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,855 Posts
moved thread. (nothing to do with gen5 exclusively)

I carry with me a Peak model known as " PKCOBO " providing 400watts AC, 120VAC 60hz

it has a barrel plug with a 40amp fuse, what I wish it came with is clips to go right to a battery. but I have a extra barrel adapter that has the clips to go right to a loose battery, or the battery in the car if need be.

and to run things like a inverter or a quality tire pump: they may say right on them (or in the directions). "have vehicle running,...I draw too much".

For just using things like this I do use a old car battery. sucks to be hauling it anywhere though, but hauling a spare car or motorcycle size battery maybe just the ticket = as to make sure you are not draining your only car battery with the things you are toting along,...or sitting there running the car so you can watch a TV or inflate things.

my own air pump (a Viair 85p), draws 15amps. (I wish I got a stronger 88p, which is now almost as cheap).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ES
1 Posts
The 2017 OB has a 20A fuse on the "12V Socket" circuit. That equates to 240 Watts, but most cheap inverters run at 60-70% efficiency. This means that a "150 Watt" inverter is appropriate. (Larger inverters will work but are overkill.) I don't often use an inverter in the car, but on my boat I use several. I run a 19" tv/dvd from an old 150 Watt Portawattz (Xantrax) inverter and it works fine.

EDIT: Reading the manual, they recommend a limit of 120 Watts, which is 10 Amps at 12V. Not sure why they use a 20A fuse, but a 150 watt inverter should still work fine as long as you don't fully load it.

BTW, the starting battery in the car is not a "deep cycle" battery and using the full 20 amps for an extended period of time would compromise its ability to start the car. Inflating a mattress is not much of a problem but watching TV for hours could be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts