Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I found a 25 page thread on rooftop boxes, but did not find what I needed. I have a 2013 outback and want a rooftop box to carry skis primarily. My skis are all 185-195cm. Which box will allow the rear hatch to open yet still accommodate the longer skis? I'll also use it for some luggage when not up in the mountains.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Wow a two planker!

LOL I have an older Thule box which is far longer than all the new boxes I've seen. When I use it on the stock cross bars it rubs the rear hatch fairing slightly - I simply put a patch of clear heavy packing tape in one little spot where it rubs and have left it. No issues and yes the box will just fit the 195's. I highly doubt the new boxes which are shorter and fatter will work for snow skis. Where are you located? My advice would be to visit an outdoor fitter shop that sells ski gear and roof rack gear and sort out which box options being sold today will fit your skis. The newer boxes might ride farther forward than the older boxes all I would need from my box is about an extra inch and a half forward adjustment to clear the hatch.

By the way the Box turned out ski trips into a whole new experience! After a day on the slopes we would dump all the wet gear in the box get into a dry clean warm car and head to the cabin! WOW how nice that change was!!! 100%! The roof box rocks when it comes to the snow ski trips!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
HI, I found a 25 page thread on rooftop boxes, but did not find what I needed. I have a 2013 outback and want a rooftop box to carry skis primarily. My skis are all 185-195cm. Which box will allow the rear hatch to open yet still accommodate the longer skis? I'll also use it for some luggage when not up in the mountains.
Yakima Skybox 16S - I just sold it. I had it on my Forester (just for carrying skis)....
I am not sure, if they still make those... it may be a discontinued model but many stores still have them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We carry skis in the Yakima 16s. This box does not touch the hatch when fully opened. If the SF in your names means San Francisco, I would recommend going to REI as they have a chart which shows which box fits on which vehicle and the longest skis it can hold.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Yakima Skybox 16 is 223 cm long. Your skis should fit.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks, and yes I'm in SF.
Further research says skybox 16s can only hold skis up to 180cm. If that is correct, it won't work.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
REI Jakey - I've found the one off 101 in Redwood city tends to be less crowded and you get more time with sales associates. Either way go early right at opening so you have time to talk through the options with a sales person that knows the product.

I highly suggest joining the REI membership for the 10% or 20% discount which you get a few times a year along with a dividend etc. Brings the price down considerably

·
Registered
766 Posts
SkyBox LoPro

Love my Yakima SkyBox LoPro with the photovoltaic LED. Easily handles 7-8 pairs of skis from carvers to powboards. My 195s and 200s fit no problem. Hatch opens without touching the box. IMO it is perfect.

Doesn't seem to ding MPG at all.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you live in Brine-Country, you most likely want a WATERPROOF box so your skis aren't all rusted by the time you get to your vacation spot.:gasp::confused::eek:

·
Registered
766 Posts
SkyBox LoPro

In action.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Skybox looks similar to my old Thule only maybe not as tall. I can put a couple of boots in ours +ski's the thinner lower profile boxes won't give you the ability to dump wet crap like boots etc in the box. Keep that in mind when your looking

Also think multi season use. I think mine is about 30inches wide which allows me to fit two bikes on the standard 54inch bar or on the 66inch bar I can have the box and my 16ft canoe on the lid.

Wide box is not always the best multi season box. And yes we use ours all year around ski crap in the winter - camping crap, kids crap on road trips and camping trips etc in the summer.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My main use will be for skis and keeping the bindings out of the road crap. Maybe throw some hunting gear in there when I go up duck hunting but that's it. If I need more room than that, I'm taking my F350

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
We have a Sequoia limited nice ride - the OB still gets tapped for the packed trips simply because its still more enjoyable than the Sequoia. The only time we do take the truck is when we need to seat more than 4 for more than an hour which case plenty of room.

Only F350 in the family is about 100lbs shy of the max gross weight with a welding rig on it. Cool truck for that sort of work but not something I would use for just getting places. Heck even the owner of said truck takes his Yukon when welding isn't involved.

·
Registered
766 Posts
SkyBox Lo Pro gobbles up boots too, backpacks and backcountry gear. Plenty o' space.

Its the one if your ride longer skis and want the mpg.

I had a sh*tbrick of campgear in it this summer and it never complained.

Several of the shorter/taller models of the Yaks' specs say they only handle 180cms as the OP mentioned. He needs 195cms to fit.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lo Pro looks like the answer. No welder on my F350, just a camper shell. Actually, I'd rather drive the F350, but diesel and maintenance costs are ridiculous, so it's a road trip and towing vehicle. I sold a Jeep Rubicon to buy the Subie as a daily driver and could not be happier with the change. Looking for an older CJ7 or FJ40 to pick up the slack where the Rubicon left off. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
351 Posts
I put 200 cm classic XC skis in the 16 and it didn't cut it well like the 18 so went with the 18. My decision was also tempered by having a longer old school box. There were a few times when that length really made a difference.

As far as fit, my 18 clears the back hatch (stop light) just fine. It's as simple as sliding the hardware back.

I suggest a well stocked bike or ski shop where you can put them on your roof before you buy. Also memberships to bike federations and other sports groups sometimes get you a discount. I got 20% off for my IMBA membership. Too bad the IMBA car discount isn't that good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Skybox 12 doesn't fit my 2016 ob without the rear hatch hitting. And yes, that's slid all the way forward. Looks like it only needs about an inch more forward movement to clear. Seems like the rocket box pro 11 is the only Yakima box that will fit long skis AND a fifth gen outback. WTF Subaru, make a rack system that will fit a box long enough for real skis. It is a Subaru after all! ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
hairymountainbeast
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing