Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going back and forth on which car I should buy, a 98 GT Wagon with 100k miles in excellent shape, auto. for $5500 or a 99 Outback limited auto, dual sunroof with 167k miles leather all the bells and whistles. Im selling my 99 Outback with 220k miles for $3500

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm confused. Are you trying to buy that vintage subaru for your car collection or you actually intend to drive it? If you intend to drive it every day then why not to buy a brand new one? :confused:
Most useless post ever. Do you really think someone looking at 10+ year old cars is going to be like "oh yeah, you're right, I should just buy new instead".

Probably isn't buying a new one because not everyone can or wants to blow 30k on a car.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think it depends on what your priority is and what has been done to the 2 cars.

At 100k, the GT is due for timing maintenence. At 168k, I would hope the timing belt was changed at 100k, but will be due again at 200k.

How many years/miles do you want to get out of the car? Personally I couldnt' justify selling my 220k vehicle for the same year with 160k and a $2k premium. The options are nice, but when were talking this many miles and year of a car, they shouldn't be that big of a deciding factor.

Why are you selling your car? Does it need maintenence and you don't want to sink the money into it? IMO, I'd keep yours and put the money you intended on spending on this car into a savings account. If you were going to get a loan, start transferring that much each month, then see how comfortable you are with those payments in 6 months. Then you can put a down payment on a newer/lower mileage car.

I've had plenty of high mile cars, and bought plenty too, but I have never sold a high mileage car just to buy another high mileage car.

If it's already on it's last leg and you're selling it to avoid it blowing up.. go for the GT. 100k on a 14yr old car is LOW and if it's in good shape, odds are the previous owner took good care of it. Just be sure to get the timing belt changed immediately if it hasn't been done yet.

Disregard SubiOBs post. Some of us have to start off with cheap used cars so we can pay our own debts and get ahead. If you've never had to buy a used car, then mommy and daddy started you out pretty well. Nothing wrong with that, but one should be aware that not everyone has that luxury.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
im not looking or can afford a new car. my 99 ob with 220k has issues, like a piston slap, sluggish acceleration etc. I thought about putting another engine in it, but worried how long the tranny will hold up. No need to attack me for asking a legitimate question. Go blow off some steam elsewhere

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
100k on a subie isn't exactly high mileage. 220k? Yeah I'll call that high mileage.

The biggest differences between your target cars are the suspension height and the sunroof.

Get the outback if you need ground clearance, get the GT if you want better cornering, better availability of performance parts.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
kmssgoten
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing