Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Australia.
I have a 1999 Subaru Outback like this one:
Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au
It’s the 2.5lt Outback wagon with a high/low manual transmission.

A while back I managed to order an OEM centre diff and bearings from the States with no issue. We are reamed on prices here in Aus, and I ended up being under 1/3 the parts cost (including shipping) to get parts from overseas!

My concern is that I need a timing belt with full water pump kit (tensioner ad pulleys and so on), but I am told that my year of car may have one of TWO types of kit! I was also told there’s no way to know which kit I need until I pull out the old one.

1. Is that true?
2. Happy to spend on OEM, but open to aftermarket recommendtions
3. Any other jobs I should do whilst I’m at it?
4. Recommend suppliers?

Post may be up to 6 weeks, so it’d be nice to have the parts ready to go before I start!

All the best, Mat

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,966 Posts
If you go to www.partsouq.com you can enter your VIN and find out the exact OEM parts you need.

Once you have that info go to www.alliedautoonline.com.au and choose the kit they have that contains the same as the OEM parts you need. Allied Auto make their own kits using quality components and I have used a couple of kits from them with no problems.

I choose to purchase a kit without the water pump and purchase a GMB brand water pump from the eBay seller WebstoreAustralia. GMB pumps are made with Japanese castings and bearings. If you send me a message I can send you a link to their store.

Seagrass

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain H6, and 2004 LLBean...I love the H6's!
422 Posts
I just installed an ITM Engine Components kit in my '99 Legacy OBW with 2.5-l and 5-speed manual trans. I ordered the ITM kit from Rock Auto. I separately ordered an OEM Subaru water pump from Subarupartsdeal.com. I like the quality of both and they are working well.

·
Registered
99 OTBK 5MT, 2014 OTBK 6MT
95 Posts
I just did the TB, water pump & all bearings with a kit from RockAuto.com, Aisin TKF-009, it was US$275, all bearings from Japan, WP Aisin brand , tensioner japan NTN, a really good deal

·
Premium Member
1998 outback limited 2.5 282+K
57 Posts
I've used the Gates TCKWP277A kit on numerous gen 1 Outbacks including my 99 , got one ordered now that I got on Ebay for $200 + tax of $14.50

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,566 Posts
I've used the Gates TCKWP277A kit on numerous gen 1 Outbacks including my 99 , got one ordered now that I got on Ebay for $200 + tax of $14.50
Gates may have still been all right the last time you did this job. The past few years have seen them now sourcing parts from China, and people are having problems with them.

Use Aisin kits only such as the one suggested by @Rotorhead98.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts