Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon 2.5 Auto
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have done everything else on my 2004/2.5.
I wanted to do my timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys.
I was on rock Auto and seen Gates, Beck Arnley, and Dayco??
My buddy messes with a lot of Subarus and said to use Gates.
But after seeing this video now I'm a little undecided. And after reading the comments on it. Some pulleys are Chinese instead of Japan

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
EJ259 (cal / northeast state spec weirdo), or plain Ej251 federal spec.? = that is why rockauto is asking for vin digits.

you can cost compare those Gates prices with Aisin, which makes better stuff and is a Japanese company. have to peice together the components individually though. rockauto has it in peices, someplace on amazon might have it as a kit.

PartCat

____

can't go wrong with OEM though. (which is also on amazon).

and some people like buying OEM rubber belts for such jobs even if using gates everyting else. (the rubber belt might outlast the pulleys/ idlers/ tensioner).

good you are already interested in buying a kit though,...sad are the people with a new timing belt, that breaks as they did not replace anything else.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is that EJ259 California emissions with the 4th vin digit "B".
I should've probably put that in my post.
I did find the one gate kit on Amazon it was actually much cheaper on there since the prime shipping thing. I use the gates number from rock auto. That video on YouTube kind of made me nervous after seeing the Chinese pulleys in the gates kit.
My friend works on mostly just all Subarus, that recently told me to get Gates. Unless he didn't notice that thing lately.
I didn't price and OEM one yet, it might be out of my league for right now.
They have two gates kits on there that look exactly the same and one is 20 bucks more. No water pump, same kit...I have no idea why though. I'm just worried about the YouTube clip I see now.

I just figured it out One guy called gates to ask what the difference was I seen in the comments.
They said that the one with the letter N on the end that cost more, means that that they're all parts from Japan. The one without the "N"and it could be a mixture of Japan in Chinese parts.
As in
TCK307 possible china pulleys
TCK307N all Japan parts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
I would think the N is for Nippon

or Nachi = one of the big quality japanese bearing companies.

I have read here of people complaining that gates started shipping made in china stuff. ...I don't know if its chinese junk though.

______

subaru OEM water pumps last virtually forever. some people change them out,...while they are in there with a kit and a waterpump in their hand,....or when they know they have a engine that has been abused or has better then 180,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only read that comment on you tube that someone said the N part numbers were the better ones.
I don't know what to do. I don't think I can afford an OEM Subaru one right now

Yeah my buddy that has like 8 Subarus told me to leave the water pump alone. He's the one that uses Gates on all his.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up research phone call.

OK I just called Gates up personally and spoke with a representative.
He did state that their regular kits without the letter "N" at the end of the part number, may have Chinese parts included.
He stated that there still built to the same quality and expectations, which I still don't like Chinese parts.
However he did state that I was right for example ...TCK307N ...he said when you see "N" at the end of the part number, it does cost a little more but it's guaranteed all Japanese parts so I'm going to order that kit and we will find out if not I will ship it back.
Just wanted to post my follow up on this research.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update!! ‘‘Read my above comment”

Okay I ordered the gates TCK307N since the gates rep stated to buy the one ending in N which costs about 25.00 more to avoid Chinese parts.
Well, I did and the kit arrived and the toothed gear was.....”chinese”.
Really??
I called them up and they changed their story saying the tensioner is guaranteed to Not be chinese.
That’s NOT what they said prior to speaking with them.
Gates is becoming a lying company.
Either way. I put my new belt and tensioner and pulleys on.
Good thing I did, my one toothed pulley was spinning very easy and making a bearing type noise.

·
Registered
01 outback-5sp-UEL-wrx wheels
76 Posts
Just an update!! ‘‘Read my above comment”

Okay I ordered the gates TCK307N since the gates rep stated to buy the one ending in N which costs about 25.00 more to avoid Chinese parts.
Well, I did and the kit arrived and the toothed gear was.....”chinese”.
Really??
I called them up and they changed their story saying the tensioner is guaranteed to Not be chinese.
That’s NOT what they said prior to speaking with them.
Gates is becoming a lying company.
Either way. I put my new belt and tensioner and pulleys on.
Good thing I did, my one toothed pulley was spinning very easy and making a bearing type noise.
Hey man, i am doing this exact job tomorrow on my brothers 99 forester. he has it in the garage on jacks already. how did you get your crank bolt off? I'm wondering if i can still do it with the car off the ground, without any special tools. If not, ill just drop the car and loosen it. its on jack since We are replacing his rack as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too will be doing this job soon. OEM is very expensive. Like $70 a pulley. I'm already over budget on this project.

Thinking about just buying the gates kit and checking it every 20k miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey man, i am doing this exact job tomorrow on my brothers 99 forester. he has it in the garage on jacks already. how did you get your crank bolt off? I'm wondering if i can still do it with the car off the ground, without any special tools. If not, ill just drop the car and loosen it. its on jack since We are replacing his rack as well.
I used a large breaker bar and bumped the starter.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
I too will be doing this job soon. OEM is very expensive. Like $70 a pulley. I'm already over budget on this project.

Thinking about just buying the gates kit and checking it every 20k miles.
AISIN is japanese made, not gates chinese junk.

AISIN TKF001 includes the pump (for those with as many miles as you got). rock auto $211 (vs. gates junk 195)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks. I didn't see that kit listed before on RA. I'm going to get it.

Any head gaskets RA sells you recommend?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
Thanks. I didn't see that kit listed before on RA. I'm going to get it.

Any head gaskets RA sells you recommend?
the aftermarket headgaskets themselves are ALL JUNK. I linked this before, ...get subaru turbo gaskets.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ej259-engine-repair-thread-3.html#post5143401

these are the ones
https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Gasket-04-06-Legacy-Forester/dp/B01ED8AZYU

all the other seals in the kits are rubber. subaru OEM rubber seals,...but you could also buy Beck Arnley, Victor Renz = Mahle, etc.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I thought the current preferred Turbo HG was the 11044AA770 that replaced the 642

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used the dayco kit becuaeci work at advance auto and that's what we carry.. 3/8 3" extensions fit very well in the 4 holes around the crank bolt.. put 2 of them in two holes.. breaker bar on the crank bolt and pry bar between the two extensions works great!

·
Registered
01 outback-5sp-UEL-wrx wheels
76 Posts
I used the dayco kit becuaeci work at advance auto and that's what we carry.. 3/8 3" extensions fit very well in the 4 holes around the crank bolt.. put 2 of them in two holes.. breaker bar on the crank bolt and pry bar between the two extensions works great!

haha thats exactly what i ended up doing last night, but its my bro's car so im waiting to see if thats how he wants to do it. i watched a video last night of a guy using a breaker bar that was long enough to rest on the driver frame behind the the headlight and crank the engine to loosen the bolt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts