Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5 Limited; 2018 3.6 Limited
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our daughter will be taking our 2015 Outback to school in Colorado, so we want to put some tires better suited to the conditions she will be driving in. With the 18” wheels, it looks like the WRG3 to match the stock tire size (22560r18) is the passenger version, or we could go with the SUV version in a 23560r18 size. Does anyone know if there are performance differences in these two versions of the WRG3 (the SUV version compared to the passenger version) and also has anyone put the 235 on their stock 18” wheels and had it work well?

Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
One thing to consider is the spare tire is sized to match the stock tire size.

As the Sub is AWD you don't want to run it with mismatched tires.

So when you change the tire height, your spare tire no longer is a match to the rest of the tires on the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing to consider is the spare tire is sized to match the stock tire size.

As the Sub is AWD you don't want to run it with mismatched tires.

So when you change the tire height, your spare tire no longer is a match to the rest of the tires on the car.
Thanks, I was not aware that this could be an issue if switching from the original size tire.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight, Navigation, High Beam Assist, Reverse Auto Braking, LED Headlights, Steering Responsive Headlights, and Starlink previous 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
44 Posts
I've been using the WRG3 for a year now and have about 11 000 miles on them. I am very happy with them. I wanted to put te WRG3 SUV but I never change the stock size on any of my vehicles. The WRG3 SUV have bigger load capacity and an extra V-shape pattern which should make it better but the regular WRG3 works great for me here in WI. If you wanna get the SUV I'd suggest getting 17" rims and tires.

·
Registered
2016 OB 2.5 Limited Crystal White w/Eyesight; 2016 OB 2.5i Limited Ice Silver w/Eyesight
153 Posts
Have been using the 225-60/18 WRG3 for the last 12 months on my wife's 16 OB Ltd. with excellent results so far, in 4 season conditions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have been using the 225-60/18 WRG3 for the last 12 months on my wife's 16 OB Ltd. with excellent results so far, in 4 season conditions.
Thanks for this helpful input — I ordered a set in this size today!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our daughter will be taking our 2015 Outback to school in Colorado, so we want to put some tires better suited to the conditions she will be driving in. With the 18” wheels, it looks like the WRG3 to match the stock tire size (22560r18) is the passenger version, or we could go with the SUV version in a 23560r18 size. Does anyone know if there are performance differences in these two versions of the WRG3 (the SUV version compared to the passenger version) and also has anyone put the 235 on their stock 18” wheels and had it work well?

Thanks.
Anyone else with experience with the non-SUV version?

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
230 Posts
Anyone else with experience with the non-SUV version?
I had the passenger version on 15" steel rims on a 2000 Outback. Drove these in summer and winter without any real issues. Initially I had the tire pressure slightly overpressured but when this was brought back to factory settings the tires performed better in snow. Had a puncture while driving on I70 just before Georgetown. Drove all the way to Lakewood, parked at Discount Tire and the tire went completely flat about 30 minutes later. Discount Tire fixed the tire for free (even though I had bought the tires elsewhere), thank you. These were not run-flat tires btw.

They were good on snow and decent in the summer. On icy roads they were ok, better than all seasons but probably not as good as dedicated snow tires. They seem ideal for more northern states or if you want a V rated snow tire (I had H). I replaced them after 25000 miles due to uneven tire wear due to an alignment issue. I guess I could have reached 40000 on them if I had more frequent alignments. The snow flake symbol wears out at 4 mm (50%) tread so after that I (and the manufacturer) would recommend only non-winter driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts