Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange whine sound that just started occurring last week. Initially only noticed as letting off the clutch, it's gone after that. It also makes the sound when slowing down form other gears. Noticed that it makes the noise in reverse. No power loss, no clutch slipping.

Here's a video clip I just did with my wife backing up, hood up to make the sound clear.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT 5 speed
57 Posts
If that noise only occurs while engaging/disengaging the clutch - not when clutch pedal is released or fully depressed - then first guess is a bad throwout bearing, which anecdotally seems to happen to these clutches more often than on a typical car. Mine makes a noise only when damp out or cold until it warms up - sounds more like a chirp inside the car. Eventually if the bearing seizes the input shaft of the transmission will be damaged - there's actually a kit out there (snout repair) to address that damage.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
My guess is also throw out bearing. Ask other's here if they know of some independent or small shop that knows Subarus in your area. If you can find a shop you can trust, they can assess the condition of your clutch disc. You can probably have a good feel for whether you'll need it replaced by considering your miles and driving habits. Get a price locked down before you turn them loose. Your mechanic may run into something unexpected and the price could go up 15% but you don't want to go pick it up or get a call once it's torn down and they tell you double!

Not sure about price, guess is nothing less than $500.

bheath on here lives in GA area, he may know someone. He's a good guy you can trust!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Dealer will run $1200
Really good INDI shop will run $900

Just do the complete clutch job its all the same labor do it right you wont have any issues. Cheap out dont replace clutch gear your looking at another $900 again not too far in the future.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sent him a text so I'll let you know if he has any leads.

Are you in the Atlanta area or an outlying suburb?
Thanks, I'm in the Augusta area. We have the dealer here; any recommendations for finding a Subaru certified mechanic closer to my area? Or do I just need to use the dealer in this case?

Whats your guesstimation on how much this will worsen and potentially cause further problems?

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
Thanks, I'm in the Augusta area. We have the dealer here; any recommendations for finding a Subaru certified mechanic closer to my area? Or do I just need to use the dealer in this case?

Whats your guesstimation on how much this will worsen and potentially cause further problems?
If I were in your situation, I would be trying to find someone local who specializes in Subarus, or at least Japanese imports, to do the work. With this age of vehicle, you don't want to dump so much cash into it that you're upside down in case it were to turn into an insurance claim and using a dealership will surely be more costly than an independent!

Maybe post a question on the general forum here asking for recommendations from members in your area. That's where you'll get your best advise, you'll get recommendations from folks who know the quality of the shop and perhaps a better feel for the price.

Keep in mind, the San Francisco member's comment on price may be based on what he's used to in his area and that may not be totally accurate for where you live.

You probably want to be actively looking to get it repaired. It's only going to get worse and it's hard to say how long the bearing will hold out. My guess is, it will begin to scream at you before it disintegrates - but you don't want to wait that long because you'll really have a bill then!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you go........

***GA Rollcall***

I just stumbled on this thread on this forum!

These are the folks who can help you out!
Thanks, I found that as well. Several places in Atlanta; but that's 3 hours away... I'll check with several Augusta area Japanese import repair shops and see if they can replace the roll our bearing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.