Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Legacy SE
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My 06 legacy wagon 5-speed only occasionally (but more and more frequently) makes a whining/whirring type of high pitched noise when I let the clutch out. This only happens at very low speeds, often in reverse, but also in 1st gear.

The times when this is most likely to happen it seems I am also turning the car at a fairly tight turn.

So in parking lots (low speeds, tight turns) most often, or once it happened when I was climbing a very steep hill very slowly, although come to think of it I wouldn't have been in first gear.

But aside from the hill event that was one time, noise occurs it in reverse or first gear. I don't THINK there is anything in the steering column that would make that same noise--any ideas?

Thanks
Stephanie

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Two thngs. One when your in neutral clutch out ie not pressed in do you get a squeal? If you press the clutch in will it sqeal? Yes or no? Car is not moving during this check.

Does it only make this sound when moving?
Have you checked the gear oil level in the transmission?

·
Registered
2006 Legacy SE
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
suspected clutch noise

I checked -- can't get the noise in neutral, not moving, pushing the clutch in and out.

The fluid level is ok -- in between the L and H lines on the dipstick. It's closer to the L, but not outside operating paramters.

Seems to happen when the car has been driving a while and is warmed up. any way it could be heat related? does the clutch heat up?

only happens when moving, but moving very slowly and usually turning...

·
Registered
2006 Legacy SE
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, any ideas about how to test the wheel or exhaust theory? I also have tried to turn the steering wheel and make the noise but haven't had any luck.

thanks
Stephanie

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Might be easier if you were to record with your phone and post some place so folks here could hear it. If the sound is related to the transmission or say something else having a friend record it from outside the car would probably give the best results for folks to get a better sense of what your hearing.

Also number of miles on the car might help narrow down the possible causes also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts