Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have an appointment scheduled with service next week, so they will try and sort it out.

Here is what happens. 2012 2.5 CVT. It has done this since the onset of cold weather...not a new thing. On cold days (below 40 or so) when the car is still cold, it will whine as it passes through 20 mph and again around 30 mph. After a couple of miles it will cease. In the afternoon, after the car has cooled off all day, it will do it again on the drive home. It does sound like whale talk...lasts about 5-10 seconds each go. Not related to engine speed as it will do it when I shift to neutral mid-whine.

No vibration or other sensory type stuff. Just sounds like a couple of whales having a chat.

I've searched and not found any similar thread.

Anyone?

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Is the blue light lit on the instrument panel? Also does the "Whale Sound" occur at idle?

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
CVT can be noisy though both of our 2010's have not been noisy. I have seen a few other subaru CVT's that seemed noisier that most. How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
There’s all kinds of ruckus with the blue light on, I’d attribute it to emissions… injectors/air-box/et-al.

·
Registered
2011 Outback and Legacy 2.5i Premium w/ All Weather Package
152 Posts
Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have an appointment scheduled with service next week, so they will try and sort it out.

Here is what happens. 2012 2.5 CVT. It has done this since the onset of cold weather...not a new thing. On cold days (below 40 or so) when the car is still cold, it will whine as it passes through 20 mph and again around 30 mph. After a couple of miles it will cease. In the afternoon, after the car has cooled off all day, it will do it again on the drive home. It does sound like whale talk...lasts about 5-10 seconds each go. Not related to engine speed as it will do it when I shift to neutral mid-whine.

No vibration or other sensory type stuff. Just sounds like a couple of whales having a chat.

Anyone?
It's the power steering pump. It yells for help in the cold...seriously though, even the owners manual makes a reference that you shouldn't be worried if you hear a noise at cold temps.

Nick

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Limited, Graphite Gray, Moonroof & Nav
18 Posts
Whining Sound

Thank God! I thought I was losing my mind - my 2012 3.6R has been doing this since December and I have never had a car do this before. It seems odd that a car less than a year old would make such a noise while warming up.

In addition to the noise, I've noticed my gas mileage is severly reduced this winter. For the past year we've gotten 22-23 city and at least 28 on the highway, now getting only 23-25 highway and 18 or so in the city.

Could this also be a result of the colder weather?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,346 Posts
Thank God! I thought I was losing my mind - my 2012 3.6R has been doing this since December and I have never had a car do this before. It seems odd that a car less than a year old would make such a noise while warming up.

In addition to the noise, I've noticed my gas mileage is severly reduced this winter. For the past year we've gotten 22-23 city and at least 28 on the highway, now getting only 23-25 highway and 18 or so in the city.

I'd keep your service appointment. Something about what you said doesn't sound right (pun intended). I admit the car makes more noise and odd sounds when cold but strong noticeable whine? Of course the problem you now have is the service dept will need to let the car cool off to do a proper test. It could be normal and percentage wise it probably is.

I recommend two things:
1) video record the sound and steps you take, use your phone if you have to
2) All the cars on the lot will be cold when you get there, see if they do the same thing. Just make sure it has all options the same as yours.

As to Gas mileage, yes your gas mileage report is about average with everyone else for winter.

·
Registered
152 Posts

It's the winter gas in combination with your car taking longer to warm up due to cold temps. Both are normal and gas mileage will improve with warmer temps.

Nick

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
17 Posts
I have this same whine on my 2012 3.6r that I have been trying to diagnose since about early February. It is noticeable at two speed points, 25-30 and again at 35-40. With the latter being much more noticeable. I have ruled out a few things but have yet to find out the actual source. I have the 5speed auto, and it doesn't appear to be a tranny issue. I can paddle shift through misc gears and it doesn't affect the actual noise much other then possibly mask it with more engine noise. So I know it's not rpm/motor based. I was wondering if it was a wheel bearing or possibly a tire noise issue. I am due for an oil change soon, so I will get the chance to rotate tires And take a peek at the bearings for anything obvious. If the noise moves with the tires or goes away I would have to attribute it to the wheels, but I'm not sold that's the case just yet. The power steering pump might make sense but that one would be hard to check. I might have to have a coworker hang out the window one frosty night and see if we can't find the overall area of the noise (under the hood or wheel well area). I'll make sure he's wearing his beer jacket for the experience =P

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have this same whine on my 2012 3.6r that I have been trying to diagnose since about early February. It is noticeable at two speed points, 25-30 and again at 35-40. With the latter being much more noticeable. I have ruled out a few things but have yet to find out the actual source. I have the 5speed auto, and it doesn't appear to be a tranny issue. I can paddle shift through misc gears and it doesn't affect the actual noise much other then possibly mask it with more engine noise. So I know it's not rpm/motor based. I was wondering if it was a wheel bearing or possibly a tire noise issue. I am due for an oil change soon, so I will get the chance to rotate tires And take a peek at the bearings for anything obvious. If the noise moves with the tires or goes away I would have to attribute it to the wheels, but I'm not sold that's the case just yet. The power steering pump might make sense but that one would be hard to check. I might have to have a coworker hang out the window one frosty night and see if we can't find the overall area of the noise (under the hood or wheel well area). I'll make sure he's wearing his beer jacket for the experience =P
I narrowed it down to the power steering pump when I actually heard the noise at idle and then turned the steering wheel to the left and right and the noise went away completely.

Nick

·
Registered
2012 OB
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have this same whine on my 2012 3.6r that I have been trying to diagnose since about early February. It is noticeable at two speed points, 25-30 and again at 35-40. With the latter being much more noticeable.

Those are the two points where my car makes this noise. We had a bit of snow yesterday, 12" of wet snow, much more noticeable in those conditions.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium; CVT; Twilight Blue Metallic
29 Posts
Yup, we get it too, from the front right side. It's a whine that only occurs between 20 and 21 mph and only when the ambient temperature is below 5 degrees fahrenheit (-15 c). I'm tempted to say it's louder the colder it is outside, but I'm not positive. It will happen even after the blue engine temp. light has gone off. However, once the car has been driven for some time it will cease. I believe someone has noted that the manual explains it is sounds from the power steering system related to the cold temperature.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I narrowed it down to the power steering pump when I actually heard the noise at idle and then turned the steering wheel to the left and right and the noise went away completely.

Nick
I wonder if cold temps and a loose hose fitting or seal is letting air into the pump? Possible that when it warms up a little the pump stops sucking air and its quiet again?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wonder if cold temps and a loose hose fitting or seal is letting air into the pump? Possible that when it warms up a little the pump stops sucking air and its quiet again?
Why would the noise go away after turning the steering wheel left/right when the car is still cold (blue light hasn't gone away)?

Nick

·
Registered
2010 Outback Premium
9 Posts
You guys just saved me the inconvenience of going to the dealership for this noise...thanks. I'll hit 60k and replace the tranny/pump oil, that should make things a little quieter in the winter

·
Registered
1 Posts

Anyone?
So my 2017 outback has been doing this daily. The whale call is exactly how I described it too.

The difference here is that mine is doing it daily and its summertime temps in Florida.

Mine will make the noises even when just idling. I haven’t been able to predict when it’s going to happen, so I can’t get it on video either.

Anyone think it might be something different than the power steering pump or should I just operate on that assumption and take it in whilst referencing this page?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts