Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a major whistle noise at highway speeds on our 2012. Right above the drivers head. Has to be the seal. Really sucks. Got rid of our 11 for the shakes, now this. Getting annoyed. Hope they can fix is without major issue.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No, it is the front windshield for sure.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
The OB windshield is a "floating" install with no trim on at least the top and sides. There is an open gap between the edge of the glass and the body roof and A pillers. See if any debris has lodged in there allowing a whistle. If not I would take some slightly sticky blue painters masking tape and cover the gap and see if that corrects the problem. If it still makes noise it's not the glass.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already been to the dealer. It was obvious to them. They had no solution. They contacted Subie tech. 5 days later they had info and I am to bring it in after the holidays. I do not know what the fix is yet as they just left a message.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Limited 5MT
68 Posts
I got a bit of the similiar problem. Onl happens when it's cold outside but when I get going about 50-60mph I get a rattle like noise. Imagine a bee with metal wings and it's hitting the glass. I thought it's the wipers but when I hit the switch for them to move, the sound stays in the same spot and there is a difference in the sound. It's coming from outside for sure, but what's causing it?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think this happens in the cold also. First time I noticed it was over Thanksgiving. I drove the car on long vacations over the summer and heard nothing. So this is a new issue. I will keep this updated once I find the issue myself.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a few days at the dealer they determined the whistle was coming from the front wind deflector on the hood. It is weird since I have used that on both my OUTBACKS and never heard the noise before. Anyway, I tore the foam off the deflector several years ago as I felt it would damage the paint. I am going to look at a few self fixes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts