Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know, but I am looking for a few people to help me confirm, generally, what white chalk letters and numbers typically mean on car parts. And perhaps, specifically in this case. See attached photos. Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,142 Posts
I still see them on my 13-year old 2008 OB, and it appears on original parts, so it was likely put on on the assembly line. I presume it's an inspection mark of sorts.

And it's not chalk, it's definitely a more permanent marker.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
265 Posts
I still see them on my 13-year old 2008 OB, and it appears on original parts, so it was likely put on on the assembly line. I presume it's an inspection mark of sorts.

And it's not chalk, it's definitely a more permanent marker.
Yes, this. And it's not just a Subaru thing!

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
It's when someone goes through the defective parts bin and marks them good to use (just kidding).

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
275 Posts
Quality control, inspection marks or inventory control. Sometimes it is to flag a part that needs attention prior to installation. If it is on the car and working, I would not be concerned. In earlier years on the assembly lines, marks were made all over the vehicles. With robotics and improved assembly methods it is not seen as much.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
72 Posts
Those letters/numbers are definitely inspection marks, as others have noted. It looks like your photos have initials DT and KM(?) - likely the initials of the assembler or inspector who verified them. The numbers are less clear, but could be something like the employees clock/ID number, station number, date code (such as Julian date), etc. The manufacturing plant I work at uses check sheets where each employee signs his/her clock number to verify the assembly is complete before moving to the next station.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts