Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Do you want a thicker rear sway bar from Whiteline? A group buy is possible at introduction

• Yes I'll be an early adopter

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Maybe, in a few years after the warranty is over

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Nope!

Votes: 3 6.0%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to @Duncan Heinz I have been in contact with Whiteline and they are making a rear sway bar for the Gen 6, and I will be lucky enough to be testing one of their early samples.

To plan their initial production run it would be good to know how much interest there is in the rear sway bars. It's been a popular item for other Generation Outbacks but often it's just swapping for a thicker OEM bar, but with Gen 6 we don't have that option - so at this time it's either Whiteline or nothing (still uncertain how the wilderness rear bar is different).

Do you want one?

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,044 Posts
Heck yes.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I talked to them about it initially I think it will have three holes to select the stiffness you want. We shall see!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gladly! I will be providing more information as it becomes available. I have installed stiffer sway bars on several of my cars and they make a huge difference (as do shocks). This will be the first time I'm trying Whiteline but they have a great reputation and this is one of their bread and butter kinds of items.

Zedercorp ZEDER Corporation – Suspension Leader is the parent company and under their umbrella is Redranger (Whiteline, Nolothane) and Fulcrum (Formula 4x4, SuperPro). These guys are the real deal.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
163 Posts
Are they going to do links with it? If not a stiffer bar has a good chance of eating the existing links. Was under the car today for hitch install and they are quite thin.

·
Premium Member
‘18 B9 A4 > ‘22 OB Wilderness
62 Posts
Would be interesting. I know I’m going after market skids on the Wilderness, curious how this will compare with the OEM.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
163 Posts
No offense, but I have no idea why you would want a stiffer bar on a Wilderness (you do you though). Seems like you would be fighting the suspension modifications that you paid extra to get. If you intend to use the off-road trim for off-roading, you probably do not want to do things that stiffen the suspension. It is the reason that several off-road vehicles have the ability to disengage the sway bars.

I could see those who mostly stay on road liking this modification.

Note I am assuming it will be stiffer, but I am pretty sure this is a safe assumption.

·
Premium Member
‘18 B9 A4 > ‘22 OB Wilderness
62 Posts
No offense, but I have no idea why you would want a stiffer bar on a Wilderness (you do you though). Seems like you would be fighting the suspension modifications that you paid extra to get. If you intend to use the off-road trim for off-roading, you probably do not want to do things that stiffen the suspension. It is the reason that several off-road vehicles have the ability to disengage the sway bars.

I could see those who mostly stay on road liking this modification.

Note I am assuming it will be stiffer, but I am pretty sure this is a safe assumption.
Data is important. And if it’s adjustable, why not?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT 2.4 Turbo white
9 Posts
Thanks to @Duncan Heinz I have been in contact with Whiteline and they are making a rear sway bar for the Gen 6, and I will be lucky enough to be testing one of their early samples.

To plan their initial production run it would be good to know how much interest there is in the rear sway bars. It's been a popular item for other Generation Outbacks but often it's just swapping for a thicker OEM bar, but with Gen 6 we don't have that option - so at this time it's either Whiteline or nothing (still undertain how the wilderness rear bar is different).

Do you want one?
How dose this affect drivability and performance?

why would I want one?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
163 Posts
How dose this affect drivability and performance?

why would I want one?

Assuming its stiffer (I keep saying assuming, but lets face it, it definitely will be), a stiffer rear bar on an AWD car reduces understeer. This can, if properly balanced, improve handling. If not properly balanced, it can create undesirable levels of oversteer.

My note on not doing it for the off-road oriented trim is due to the other things a stiffer bar does. Since it transfers movement from one side of the vehicle to the other, using a stiffer bar off road can cause a disturbance of one wheel to disturb the other. It can also cause wheels to lift off the ground more often than they would otherwise over uneven terrain. Several heavy duty off-road vehicles (read as more off-road oriented than the Outback) have the ability to disengage the sway bar. This allows owners to benefit from sway bars when on road, but benefit from not having them when off road.

Personal opinion… if you want good road handling, I do not know why you would want the Wilderness. If you want good off-road handling, I do not know why you would add a stiffer bar to one. Again, I am sure some will… and they will be happy with it. Not something I would do though.

This should be a solid product for the mostly road going Outbacks on the forum. I expect this is most of them.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
163 Posts
Data is important. And if it’s adjustable, why not?
You do you. If you put one on and do not like it, they are relatively easy to swap back off. Just seems counter to the point of the Wilderness trim to me is all I was getting at.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@TS13FST good points - I will find out whether or not it comes with reinforcement and endlinks - some Whiteline bars do and will update this thread with unboxing etc, or if they provide me with more info.

The reason why the Wilderness might have a moderately stiffer sway bar would be to preserve on-road handling to compensate for the higher ride height (center of gravity). Since preliminary info says it will be the same diameter as the non-wilderness I'm wondering if it's solid instead of hollow, but it won't be a STIFF bar - you're right it will need to be weak enough to allow decent articulation. Heck, Wilderness guys seeking maximum articulation might want to switch to the non-Wilderness hollow bars!

If I bought a wilderness it would be for the gear ratios not the ride height and I would seek stiffer rear bars for on-road handling. It might seem silly to get a wilderness if you're not going off-road, but that's the reality for many. They buy the rugged TRD-off road or Trail Rated and drive it to work and the mall and never go off road. These are choices that people make.

Your analysis of this situation is much appreciated!

Reactions: TS13FST

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@Lennyl12 if you're happy with the way the car drives, then there's no need to change anything. The suspension was designed to be a jack of all trades, softly sprung with relatively weak sway bars so that it works well off-road and on rough terrain but it sacrifices on-road control and handling.

Until I've installed it I can't say what it will actually do, but based on my experience with sway bars on other vehicles (including 2 other Subarus) it will make the car corner flatter and take turns more confidently and with better front grip. Owners of other Outback generations who seek better handling also put in rear sway bars with good results.

Gen 3:

Gen 4:

Gen 5:

·
Registered
2021 Outback 2.5i Premium
506 Posts
I would definitely buy one for my 2021 Premium assuming it’s priced not too differently from the ones I bought for my previous ‘13 and ‘19 Outbacks.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,044 Posts
Another thing to note (and what I would do) is that if you are planning on off reading, you can just disconnect or remove the sway bar before your trip. That’s what I’ve done on my other vehicles. That way you get the advantage of the sway bar under normal conditions but articulation when off roading (which most people only do for a small minority of the time). Until we know what the sway bar on the wilderness is, I’m not sure it’s worth investing in, but I also don’t really see a downside to having it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm pretty sure we'll know more about the Wilderness bar before any group buy becomes a reality. If the wilderness bar is only 20% stiffer then I would still want an aftermarket bar. I'm looking for at least 50% stiffer rear bar.

The following numbers are unitless and only to compare proportional stiffness of solid bars:

14mm = 38,416

15mm = 50,625

16mm = 65,536 (Gen 5 OEM)

17mm = 83,521 27% stiffer

18mm = 104,976 60% stiffer

19mm = 130,321 99% stiffer (popular Gen 5 upgrade)

20mm = 160,000 144% stiffer

The Gen 6 bar is a hollow 19mm and if the hollow portion is 16mm (3mm wall thickness) then it would be 130321-65536 = 64785 and a solid 19mm bar would be basically twice as stiff at 130,321

Or the Wilderness bar could also be hollow but with a 4mm wall thickness instead, so instead of subtracting 65536 we would only be subtracting 50,625 to give 79,696, or 23% stiffer than a 19mm bar with 3mm wall thickness.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts