Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Do you want a thicker rear sway bar from Whiteline? A group buy is possible at introduction

• Yes I'll be an early adopter

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Maybe, in a few years after the warranty is over

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Nope!

Votes: 3 6.0%
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
462 Posts
What weldonjr2001 said
Note that the Subaru branded larger RSB for gen 4 & 5 were all priced under $100 -- at times a lot less than $100. Most aftermarket ones seem to run $150+ .

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2021 "Notchback" XT
8 Posts
I'm assuming it would, but does anyone know if this would fit my 2021 "Notchback" (a.k.a. Legacy)? If so, I'd be in on a group buy.

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
The legacy and outback have different part numbers for the rear stabilizer bar. The 2020 press releases for the legacy and outback mention the same diameter stabilizer bar in each release… so with different part numbers, something other than the diameter is different.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT - Touring - Autumn Green
9 Posts
With everything else I've done to mine, you know I'm in :)

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I spoke with Whiteline about two months ago. They said they hoped to have prototypes by late summer and maybe a production bar by end of year.

Yes, I want one too.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Thanks to @Duncan Heinz I have been in contact with Whiteline and they are making a rear sway bar for the Gen 6, and I will be lucky enough to be testing one of their early samples.

To plan their initial production run it would be good to know how much interest there is in the rear sway bars. It's been a popular item for other Generation Outbacks but often it's just swapping for a thicker OEM bar, but with Gen 6 we don't have that option - so at this time it's either Whiteline or nothing (still undertain how the wilderness rear bar is different).

Do you want one?
Yes I had one 22mm on my 2018 and it was NOTICEABLE, Thank you!

·
Registered
'20 OB XT Ltd.
59 Posts
@SilverOnyx
Did Whiteline provide any info on the price and when they would make this available, for possible group buy?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm still waiting for further info. It won't be available until at least after a test fitting on a customer car (mine) and I haven't gotten the test bar yet. I also asked about whether it will come with end links and such and was told that I will get the information when my contact gets it, along with sway bar thickness and whatever else. Also told them about the Wilderness bar. If I had to guess about when they'd be available it would be 4 months from now assuming the test fit is perfect. If it's perfect they'll probably have to create permanent tooling/jigs and plan/schedule production.

I did get the comment that they were glad that there's interest in the bar so I do think there will be a group buy if enough people show interest, and I think we've accomplished that - but just in case if anyone else is seriously considering it, please do the poll or make a comment in here. There are no obligations if you say you want one - we don't have all the info and we're just trying to gauge interest, not make a list of buyers. Once the price is announced I think if it's too high people will lose interest but if it's good then I expect a lot of people will jump on it.

Here's how a different brand makes their production sway bars:

About whiteline development:

Reactions: GreenMachineDriver

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Conceptually yes, but I have a dislike for Volkswagen - think they're unreliable and overpriced. Maybe it's just bias. Do like the form factor, the driving dynamics, etc. Many people want something more akin to the old Gen 3 Outback, which was more compact and nimble yet still very practical and utilitarian. Had the Legacy GT Wagon equivalent of the Gen 3 XT and it was perfection, then a WRX Hatch - but for reasons not germane to this thread decided I needed Subaru Eyesight and it only comes with the CVT - once the turbo Outback was back, I made the switch. It's a great car and responds well to suspension mods - even wheels and tires have really elevated the driving experience. Have no doubt that the rear sway will raise the bar.

Reactions: outback2016

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
17 Posts
Recently did some driving on twisty roads -150 miles on CA-49 and then last week driving 282 miles through Yosemite, over Tioga Pass, through the June lake Loop, and down to Mammoth- and back to Mariposa.
My conclusion is that my Outback's driving dynamics really needs some help.

A stiffer rear sway bars sounds like a good place to start, along with a strut tower brace. The Avid tires also need to go, however I want to add the hardware first and see what the differences are.
I don't want to make the ride too stiff, I have other cars for that type of driving.

As a note- while driving back from Minaret Summit at Mammoth, I saw 5 smaller SUV s in full automaker camo.
Could have been Foresters or RAV4s, I really didn't have time to stare. Just saw the lower part of a blacked-out wide oval on a blacked out grille.
I was driving downhill and they were head uphill, the road was twisty and I was going around 40 mph. 4 had the usual white/black camo, one was partially uncovered had had metallic red paint.
The fifth one had the old baggy gray vinyl type camo.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts