Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

with the firewall so "elastic" (think about brake booster brace) I think this car needs a tower brace even if I have no plans of making it sporty.

I found two braces the Whiteline KSB630, Cusco 686 540 A, and Cusco 684 540 A. Cusco is $40 more expensive due to shipment from Japan. All are new. Their design is different on the bracket with Cusco having beefier ones. I do like it more because of that.

Most of the braces are made for XT cars and try to stay away from the intercooler which I do not have. Some go to the extreme of requiring trimming of under hood bits, which I definitely do not want to do.

So why my post ... do you know if Cusco 686 540 A or 684 540 A brace is actually a fit for my 2009 H6? If I buy it and does not fit I cannot return it.

Seller is saying this: "Japanese model of BPE 2003 Jan.-2009. Compatibility of others : Subaru OUTBACK BP9 2003 Jan.-2009 May EJ25 | Subaru LEGACY TORING WAGON BPE 2003 Sept.-2009 May EZ30 | Subaru LEGACY B4 BLE 2003 Sept.-2009 May EZ30"

Cusco is listing them for "Legacy Outback 2009" with descriptions:
  • 686 540 A: Aluminum, Oval Shape Bar, AWD 2500cc
  • 684 540 A: Aluminum, Oval Shape Bar, 2.0R
Thanks

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found posts on LegacyGT forum with the 684 540 A installed on a 2006 Legacy but no idea if gen3 OB can use the same brace.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
711 Posts
I found posts on LegacyGT forum with the 684 540 A installed on a 2006 Legacy but no idea if gen3 OB can use the same brace.
Under the hood should be exactly the same.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,070 Posts
They are the same.

Strut tower braces are just bling for the most part. The Outback (as dear to me as they are) just aren't capable of bending corners to a point where you'd see much, if any, benefit from the STB.

I drove around for about a month on the whiteline/bilstein swap on my LGT before installing the STI strut tower brace and I couldn't tell any difference with it.

I think the WRX chassis was pretty prone to the strut towers flopping around but the strut towers on the Legacy chassis are close enough to the firewall I think to be well braced.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting the Cusco from Japan is getting complicated. Cusco rep advised against it as there usually are problems. It is not an adjustable one like Whiteline so it has to fit just right. The model for my car is 686 540 A according to the rep. They do not offer it in the US though; not enough demand.

I may just skip it or get the Whiteline later.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're right. The towers are on the firewall unlike other cars.

I looked at the tails but not sure yet. The stop light partition of the lamp is relatively small (it is at the bottom where US has the turn signal) and the side marker is deleted - only 2 bulbs vs. 3 for US.
They look nice but I also want to be functional. I need to see more videos to convince myself.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
324 Posts
I think you're right. The towers are on the firewall unlike other cars.

I looked at the tails but not sure yet. The stop light partition of the lamp is relatively small (it is at the bottom where US has the turn signal) and the side marker is deleted - only 2 bulbs vs. 3 for US.
They look nice but I also want to be functional. I need to see more videos to convince myself.
The jdm tails are a lot brighter from what I have seen in person. Especially the LED ones. Even the ones with a smoked lenses are brighter.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For whoever may search for this:

Cusco tower bar is 686-540-A and does fit 2009 Outback 3.0. I got it from Japan. Was easy to install and did not have to fiddle to make it fit.
The bar is touching the AC aluminum pipe in front of firewall. You want to wrap some rubber/silicone hose around the pipe to prevent rubbing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts