Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a post (Ive searched and cant find it) of someone who does headlight mods (blacking out, led halos...ect) I think he might have been on the legacy forum. If anyone can point me in the right direction....
Thanks in advance
Bryan

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
You can do it yourself or you can check out HIDPlanet.com to find a few guys who take care of doing retrofits as well as anything else that could want to do.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
You are right there is a gentlemen that does do the installation and I think uses a better projector than our Subaru model. Here is the deal however. If you get the headlight bucket out all you do is drill a hole around 7/8 to an 1" in diameter and remove the H-7 bulb, install the rebased H-7 HID bulb and also find a suitable place for the ballast. The OEM wiring harness is used plug and play so unless you wish to go with relays (not necessary in all the kits I have installed since the transition power spike is a very short duration) you are done except for reinstalling the headlight bucket which is easy to do and then the bumper. No one but a stereo shop will do this for you and many have experience doing HID installs.
I would suggest that if you want turn key try a good shop. I would go 4300K and no higher than 6000K. 4300K is the default Kelvin number for all OEM setups and 6000K is a more bluish tint to it.
Use quality components. Typical HIDs last 3000 hours before a bulb change is required. I used Morimoto purchased from TRS because I read good reviews on HIDplanet about them.
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R Limtied
113 Posts
If you are planning to upgrade the bulb to HID, I would recommend using the "Dual Relay" harness. I currently don't have the harness and I get random flickers in my HID lights while driving. Here is the lgt post on the Morimoto h7 with the relay harness:

2013 Morimoto H7 HID Install - Subaru Legacy Forums

You are right there is a gentlemen that does do the installation and I think uses a better projector than our Subaru model. Here is the deal however. If you get the headlight bucket out all you do is drill a hole around 7/8 to an 1" in diameter and remove the H-7 bulb, install the rebased H-7 HID bulb and also find a suitable place for the ballast. The OEM wiring harness is used plug and play so unless you wish to go with relays (not necessary in all the kits I have installed since the transition power spike is a very short duration) you are done except for reinstalling the headlight bucket which is easy to do and then the bumper. No one but a stereo shop will do this for you and many have experience doing HID installs.
I would suggest that if you want turn key try a good shop. I would go 4300K and no higher than 6000K. 4300K is the default Kelvin number for all OEM setups and 6000K is a more bluish tint to it.
Use quality components. Typical HIDs last 3000 hours before a bulb change is required. I used Morimoto purchased from TRS because I read good reviews on HIDplanet about them.
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys I will check it out, ive not decided on HID or not, mostly just want to blackout the chrome, and maybe some LED DRL of some sort. I can easily do them myself, but I dont want to be without a car for 2 days while Im doing it. The guy I saw on here (or legacy forum) was offering to mod lights he already had, then you just send him your old (good condition) lights and he refunds a core charge. This way Im only out of my car for a matter of hours not days. The price was $200 ish plus core charge..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts