Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Outback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that this has been talked about and I cant seem to find a definative answer. What is the part number for the new/updated Head gasket for the 1999 Outback Gen/Phase 2 EJ25D. Please add the year of your vehicle and if you have had your HG replaced what was the part #.

I seen a write up that explains a number of things about the Head gaskets,
Subaru Head Gasket Problems Explained. - Seattle Subaru Repair

but in this pic
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/3393272680_c84a6580d2.jpg,
it only looks like a old gasket next to a new gasket:

I like the looks of the updated Gen/Phase 1 EJ25D gasket
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/shop-pics-_1-038.jpg
Has anyone had any experience installing the Gen/Phase 1 on the Gen/phase 2 motor? They look the same as far as ports go.

The part number I have found for the "updated" Gen/Phase 2 Head gasket is: 11044AA633
This looks like the same exact gasket. To note: on the subaru parts website it shows the Head Gasket for the 1999 EJ25D fits 99-08. What is the deal here? Can anyone shed light on this. I'm about to order parts and want to make sure I make the best choice other than getting a new car.

Please keep the flaming to a min, I dont want to install anything other than OEM. There are just as many write-ups about the blah blah blah manufactured replacement head gaskets failing as there are OEM failing.

Lets clear this up a little for everyone. I have just spent 3hr on countless boards reading and I dont feel anymore informed than when I started (actually more confused now).

Thank you for all your help and input in advance. I love my subaru, and want to drive it until it rusts out on me, lets make this possible.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
You want the 610 gasket (last 3 digits of the part number).

Your issue is actually one of confusion. There were two different EJ25's in 1999 -

1. EJ25D (which is what you have in your Outback), it is DOHC and PHase I
2. EJ25x (which only came in foreseters and the impreza RS in 1999) - this only happened for one year, 1999. Those are SOHC and Phase II.

The info yo'ure looking at is Phase II related.

Get the 610 gasket for the EJ25D.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Subaru part number 11044AA610

i always remember the last three digits to verify what i get....that's what you want for a 1999 Outback EJ25.

If you want Phase II EJ25 (2000 - 2009, and 99 RS/For) headgaskets then you want to use the Subaru turbo headgaskets. I would not use the Subaru supplied non-turbo gaskets...which I think are the 633 you mentioned. They're the same gaskets the engines come with, which leak.

·
Registered
1999 Outback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You want the 610 gasket (last 3 digits of the part number).

Your issue is actually one of confusion. There were two different EJ25's in 1999 -

1. EJ25D (which is what you have in your Outback), it is DOHC and PHase I
2. EJ25x (which only came in foreseters and the impreza RS in 1999) - this only happened for one year, 1999. Those are SOHC and Phase II.

The info yo'ure looking at is Phase II related.

Get the 610 gasket for the EJ25D.
Very good info here, glad someone cleared this up for me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1999 Outback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@grossgary or anyone else with an answer:
I recently got a cheap ($600) EJ25 from what I think was a '99 Legacy wagon? I didnt know there were different ones until I looked at the back of the car and it said "2.5GT". What I find weird is its a wagon like an Outback, similar style interior and all, but different front bumper and other body effects. So my question is what version/phase motor do you think was in it? I'm going to call the junkyard in the tomorrow AM and see if they can give me the VIN so I can call the dealer to check. Just wondering if this could be answered before then. I need to order parts ASAP.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
All 99 Legacy's ("and Outbacks") were EJ25D so that motor is the same as yours.

It is only Foresters and Impreza RS that got the other EJ25 in 1999 so you're golden.

Be advised - used EJ25's are risky business. You have no idea it's history. If it's been previously overheated then it's a likely rod bearing failure condidate. If it hasn't been previously overheated then it's a good candidate for a headgasket failure.

I would replace the headgaskets in it before installing it. If the one currently in the vehicle is in "known" condition I would favor it over a used unknown EJ25...particularly one that's cheap - that makes them even scarier!

Yeah that's a Legacy GT - just a different trim option. They're usually lower to the ground and a bit sportier to drive than the higher stanced swaying like a fat pig wagons.

·
Registered
1999 Outback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
All 99 Legacy's ("and Outbacks") were EJ25D so that motor is the same as yours.

It is only Foresters and Impreza RS that got the other EJ25 in 1999 so you're golden.

Be advised - used EJ25's are risky business. You have no idea it's history. If it's been previously overheated then it's a likely rod bearing failure condidate. If it hasn't been previously overheated then it's a good candidate for a headgasket failure.

I would replace the headgaskets in it before installing it. If the one currently in the vehicle is in "known" condition I would favor it over a used unknown EJ25...particularly one that's cheap - that makes them even scarier!

Yeah that's a Legacy GT - just a different trim option. They're usually lower to the ground and a bit sportier to drive than the higher stanced swaying like a fat pig wagons.
I understand what you are saying about buying g a used motor being risky. The only reason I thought to do it was because I was driving with my motor spiking temp for about 2 weeks. I drive for 5-6hr at a time and I had no idea that's what was going on. I even blew a upper radiator hose during the process. Thinking it was a cooling problem I replaced the hose, T-stat, and flushed the system. I eventually started reading about this problem and realized it was my HG. Additionally, my motor developed a tap that is only noticeable on a cold start and goes away after about 1min.

So the car I got the motor out of had 146k on it but looked maintained. The radiator was completely full with green coolant and the res did not show signs of HG leaking. It was only in the junk yard because it hit a telephone poll. I plan to rebuild both of these motors. I am trying to learn rebuilding motors in the process. I want to gather the tools as well as the knowledge to build motors. Why not do it at this time? Any suggestions on things to look for on the "new" motor? How could I tell if the HG have been done? I started pulling the new one apart and it looks like it was apart at some point; that could be good or bad.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
tap at cold start that goes away is piston slap and benign. just annoying, but it'll run 200,000 miles like that.

okay, got it - that amount of overheating is bad as these motors eat rod bearings like candy. sounds like you made a good call, $600 is really cheap for a running EJ25.

usually you can tell if the headgasket has already been replaced simply by looking at the part of the headgasket that protrudes from between the engine and head. if it's been replaced it should look notably newer and will probably be a different than stock gasket design. you could post a picture if you want.

compared to a motor swap it's not that hard to do the headgaskets, not a bad idea to do them while it's already out.

be sure to have the heads resurfaced and the most proper block resurfacing you can do is good as well. these engines are just a poor design (by Subaru standards - by others they're "average) and they tend to eat headgaskets.

rebuilding them is not worth it, it's far too expensive and time consuming to do it economically. as a learning experience it would be fun but i would never plan on rebuilding them.

·
Registered
1999 Outback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many things here:

So I'm chugging along; tearing down my "new" motor. I just got the heads off tonight and they will be off to the shop in the AM. I was just about to order parts when I read something about bell housing bolts being used to figure out what Phase EJ25 you have.

Phase 1 : 4 bolts (engine to trans)

Phase 2 : 8 bolts (engine to trans)

Well i just felt like checking for my own info and....My OB has what looks like more than 4. I was looking down the passenger side and I see there are at least 3 bolts visable. I know my "new" motor has 4 bolts. I believe you guys, but can you add some comfort as to why this is, or why it is wrong? Can someone add all the little things like head design(Valve Buckets or not), Bell housing bolts, How many lines of metal are in front (toward front of car) of the "Japan" stamp right under the power stearing pump, that help identify a Phase 1 over a Phase 2?

Just to add, my OB was mfr in 04/99 and I just noticed tonight that the HG were done before on the failed motor, they are Fel-Pro 26167PT. Aren't these HG supposed to be the "Fix" for the EJ25?

----------------------------------------------------

I want to order a Gates (WP, TB, tensioner , and idlers) set. However, I am a bit confused, again.
When I check the "Gates" website it says I need this set (TCK277A):
Gates TCKWP277A Timing Belt Kit With Water Pump | eBay
BUT, the parts on the "new" motor look like this (TCK307):
Subaru Baja Legacy Outback Engine Timing Set Gates TCK307 | eBay

Am I looking to hard at the colors? I have an orange NSK bearing like(I dont have the flange around it) the second listing has on my "new" motor. Why would they not offer the same orange NSK bearing in the other kit?

I love my scooby and I love you guys even more for putting up with my, mechanically inclined, Subaru noob, self. Please stick with me on this...

·
Registered
1999 Outback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, now I'm P*SSED! Because of all the confusion, I decided to go to the yard that I got my motor from to get the VIN off the donor vehicle. I was slick (lol, no pun intended) and asked them how many Legacy's they had before I went there; they said one. I asked about the motor in it and they said it was just sold. So I went to "get some parts" and when I got there the guy was like "oh your the one that bought the engine out of this car". So I looked around as if I was going to buy something and took a pic of the VIN and mfr date.

09/97 This is not a m-f'in 1999. I was upset(and still am) and did not want to bring attention to it, so I just left.

So here is the position I'm in. I have this PHASE 2 engine (Heads are already in the shop), to replace my PHASE 1 engine.
Are there any complications to this happening? What is different other than the head design? I just called the dealer and gave them the VIN from the donor car. They gave me the same engine gasket set p/n, so I should be good? Are there any parts that are different?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts