Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Subaru Outback, 2.5L
I have been deferring a P0420 code for awhile . Its on pretty much 24/7 now so Im moving forward on a cat/header replacement.
The Walker cat is pretty much naked, however. OEM headers have nice shielding/cladding from flange to flange. Walker? Less so. Dinky shield at the collection of the headers and a shielding on the cat. When I was purchasing it, I anticipated removing the shielding and re-using it, but with the welded shielding, its not really feasible (missing some mounting tabs as well).

Is this acceptable for heat management in the engine bay? Who has used this cat and to what effect?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
232 Posts
2013 Subaru Outback, 2.5L
I have been deferring a P0420 code for awhile . Its on pretty much 24/7 now so Im moving forward on a cat/header replacement.
The Walker cat is pretty much naked, however. OEM headers have nice shielding/cladding from flange to flange. Walker? Less so. Dinky shield at the collection of the headers and a shielding on the cat. When I was purchasing it, I anticipated removing the shielding and re-using it, but with the welded shielding, its not really feasible (missing some mounting tabs as well).

Is this acceptable for heat management in the engine bay? Who has used this cat and to what effect?
You replaced your o2 sensors already? This worked on my 2011 forester.

Now my 2 cents on cats. If you have no choice, get the walker but if you can get OEM, that's the way to go. I have a 1999 Forester that I replaced the cat on with a walker. It functions just fine over the last 6 years, but when I went to sell the car, it was one of the first questions I was asked. When I told them it was aftermarket, they would lower the offering price. When I asked them why it was worth less even though it's a working cat and passes emissions every 2 years, they said, and this may be bs, that they simply don't work as well and will throw cat codes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got new O2 sensors since Im removing the header, but I thought O2 issues threw different codes?
Im also keeping the OEM headers just in case. They are DEFINITELY better made. And maybe some day Subaru will make a cat that can be added to the header without a full replacement.

When I bought the walker cat it was 800 and the OEM were right around 2000. Now the Walker cat is 1100 and OEM is 2600. Just doesnt really make sense.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I put in the Walker cat.. truth be told, its OK. But its also not a direct match for OEM. Would I do it again to save $1500?

I had 2 problems. One, at the collector flange (goes to exhaust), there is a stud that threads into the flange. In the Walker cat, the exhaust studs didnt thread in. I had to use a drill to create a new, larger hole for new 12.9 class bolts.

As noted above, all the heat shielding wont fit. Which is a shame. Im not sure what sorta heat exposure my engine will face from the headers. Im sure its OK but I dont know.

Looking at the two...
I dont see why you couldnt source a cat and have a shop weld it into the OEM header, honestly. Itd save you at least several hundred if not a thousand. Im going to look up and see if its feasible to either source the cat Walker uses or if its a generic sized cat.

Picture 1:
White Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

I dont have all the cladding on but you can see the Walker cat is significantly more naked.

Picture 2:
Motor vehicle Gas Nut Screw Auto part

Better view of the naked cats. OEM at bottom. Why couldnt you sandwich in a new cat?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,333 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted on how your Walker solution works for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts