Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2013 Outback Limited, 2014 Legacy 2.5i
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all. Figured some of you may like to hear about the absolute train wreck I've been dealing with since September of last year.

TL;DR Shortblocks replaced due to oil burning have been junk. Car has been at dealer for 106+ days since october of last year. Subaru can't make good parts.

UPDATE: Corporate returned my email and basically said, Sorry you are getting frustrated, no we won't buy the car back (too old/mileage), I'll contact the dealer and be in touch by the end of next week.

UPDATE 8/20: Subaru emailed me to say that they contacted the dealer and got the info about parts delays and they will be in touch by the end of day on 8/27. That's literally all they said.

UPDATE 8/27: Apparently the parts are now available and are being filled. Let's see how long it takes. My guess is another month till it's done.

UPDATE 9/10: Dealer called yesterday with news that the car is done! 71 days at the dealer in NY, 133 total days in the shop since this started.

OG Post starts below 馃憞

Back story. Early 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited. Bought brand new.

Like most 2.5 of that vintage, it burned oil. I slowed it down a bit by switching to a 5w-30 but after a while it still burned. Finally it seemed like an oil consumption test would confirm that I had an excessive oil burning problem and I could get a new block. Did the test and they confirmed it was eligible for a new short block. I was happy. I'd get a new block and hopefully keep driving this thing into the future. The plan when we bought the car was to drive it "forever" and not have car payments for a few years once it was paid off. I mean it's a Subaru, they are built to last right? :rolleyes:

October 5th of last year the car went to the dealer and had the block replaced. In the midst of that repair somehow a cam gear broke when they first started it and wrecked all the valves so it had to come back out and get that fixed. After we got the car back, things were good for a few months. March of this year it went back in because we were smelling oil burning. I honestly expected this as everyone is human and things get missed. The head gasket on the driver side was leaking. so they replaced that and cleaned it all up. During the head gasket replacement, the dealer was finally able to replicate the transmission issue I had been complaining about. When you hit the gas, there would basically be no power. It was still running, it was trying to go, and eventually it would shift, or go into gear or something and move. This was a huge safety issue as we live near several busy roads and my wife needs to make a left across traffic and sometimes you just have to go when you have a opening. Multiple times she literally was stranded across several lanes of traffic because the car would not move. Scary.

So they replaced the transmission. After that I still had complaints of jerking/stuttering when going up a hill at lower speeds. I complained once, they said it was normal and that's all they have been able to look into it. Keep reading..........

A short time after, we were smelling oil burning again. It was leaking from the driver side head gasket again. Back to the dealer it goes. Dealer says it's residual oil leaking from the top of the engine from the faulty head gasket. Cleaned, drove it for a few days, say it's good. It wasn't and the same thing a few weeks later. This time they yank the heads, measure the block and find it's not straight. So yet another short block get's installed.

Covid hits and my wife starts working from home. Our outback doesn't get used much. Every time we would start the car it would tap/knock like it was lower on oil. I also should note that my dealer was **** bent on not giving me my car back until they were satisfied it was right. They have been really good through this whole thing actually. Anyway, I ignore the noise because I figure they must have heard it with all the driving they did and it was normal. It wasn't.

We put about 400 miles on the new block and July 1st we embark on a trip 5 hours away to my buddies camp in Upstate NY. We stop at a rest area on i87 and as I accelerate back on to the highway, I hear it. knock knock knock knock. I ignore it. Thinking to myself, Nope I didn't just hear that. There's no way there is something wrong. I go to pass a car, and the knock get's louder. Car is way down on power. I have my wife find the nearest dealer which thankfully is less than 10 miles away in Kingston, NY. I limp it to the dealer.

They promptly tell me I am welcome to leave it but they can't get to it for 10 days and the rental companies are a short walk down the road. Really? After some back and forth with my home dealer and Subaru corporate I end up having to rent a car on my own to continue on our way. We are literally right between our house and camp. I had Subaru escalate the situation as I am not happy and they should have given me a rental or something.

Still here? A few days into our vacation we get a call from Subaru, they are keeping tabs on the situation and we also get a call from the Kingston dealer. The engine blew up! 400 miles and it failed! So Subaru will now cover up to $2000 in our rental costs and they will get a new block ordered. Well that takes forever to get in due to shipping, covid, blah blah blah. The dealer discovers that the block that blew up was not remanufactured properly. It was rebuilt too "tight" and it destroyed a main bearing which sent metal all through the engine. They are sending the heads to a machine shop to get thoroughly cleaned. Machine shop calls the dealer and tells them the metal has damaged the cam seals and carriers. The cams are binding up and not turning. So they need to order new seals and carriers.

Still reading, wow you must be bored lol. I called the dealer, slightly hopeful it will be ready to pick up today but knowing it won't be. They don't even have the parts yet! They are backordered due to quality issues! Are you kidding me? Quality issues AGAIN! This entire mess from the very beginning has been due to garbage quality!!!! My car since going in for the first short block replacement has been at a dealer for 106 days and counting. Over 33% of the time since it was replaced.

I've asked Subaru for an extended warranty on the engine and transmission due to all these quality issues and they denied me. They said maybe they would cover a year of roadside assistance, but I need to get a quote and they can submit the cost for review. I have sent Subaru another email today saying I wish they would just buy the car from me so I can be done with it. I doubt they will but I have zero faith in this company anymore. I expressed that these quality issues are incredibly frustrating and unacceptable. I'm waiting on a reply. They can't even send their dealers viable parts to complete repairs. They aren't willing to extend warranties probably because they know they are junk and will lose even more money.

This isn't an isolated problem either apparently. My local dealer has been pretty candid with me. Probably because I haven't freaked out on them. After all this is Subaru corporates fault, not theirs. They haven been having issues with part quality lately and even had to replace a transmission in another customers crosstrek 3 times because the remans were bad! They had to demand a brand new one to finally fix the problem.

I'm really upset by this whole thing. We talked Subaru up to everyone who asked. We have had family and friends buy Subaru based on what we said. I feel like we have been let down and honestly, made to look a little stupid due to all this. I now question the reliability of my 2014 Legacy which also burns oil and also has started to do some weird transmission things. I don't know that I'll get it fixed because of this fiasco. We may not even keep the Outback once we finally get it back because my trust in these remanufactured parts is gone. If i can't trust a car, I don't know that I can keep it. It screws up our long term plans of not having car payments, and It's not a great time to get a new car due to all the other mess going on in the world. We also have a transmission that may be bad too, but we haven't been able to get that checked or drive it enough to see if it's a problem since it's been in the shop so much.

It also stinks my car is 3 hours away and it will be up to me to my time to go pick it up when it's done. When it blew up I asked them to tow it back home and they wouldn't do it so I doubt they will transport it back when it's done.

If you read this whole thing, thanks. I wrote this all out to vent and also let the community what's going on and to see if anyone else had issues like have. It's so disappointing. I doubt we will be sticking with Subaru going forward 馃槩

Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
did you put a curse on the car?

cam gear broke my bottom end, more like paid monkey didn't time that engine right for starters

Registered
I read the whole thing. You were right about boredom. I'd love to hear some updates.

Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
i read that twice and I would ask (politely) for SOA to cover the powertrain for 50K (standard new engine powertrain warranty) also can you tell us the mileage on said car when it started having issues

Registered
If such a thing is possible, a new long block or crate motor would be called for. You mentioned that the problem was with remanufactured parts - seems like that's the main issue.

The dealer discovers that the block that blew up was not remanufactured properly.
They have been having issues with part quality lately and even had to replace a transmission in another customers crosstrek 3 times because the remans were bad! They had to demand a brand new one to finally fix the problem.
We may not even keep the Outback once we finally get it back because my trust in these remanufactured parts is gone.
Are these parts being remanufactured in Japan?

Registered
20 Outback Premium
I will be very disappointed if Subaru doesn't support you on this, as they seem to be very supportive on issues with newer vehicles, and yours isn't that old. Hope things turn out better soon, and if I were you I would probably jump ship and never look back, too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: Corporate returned my email and basically said, Sorry you are getting frustrated, no we won't buy the car back (too old/mileage), I'll contact the dealer and be in touch by the end of next week.

i read that twice and I would ask (politely) for SOA to cover the powertrain for 50K (standard new engine powertrain warranty) also can you tell us the mileage on said car when it started having issues. It currently has 97k on it. Howerver the oil burning issues started way before that. I'll have to dig up the work order to see when it started. But it was under 30k I believe and around 2 years old ish.
I've asked for a 3 year warranty on the engine and trans. They declined saying there is a warranty on the parts and labor and to check with the dealer to see what is. It's one year parts and labor. On powertrain components! A measly year! I've been extremely polite throughout this entire thing. It doesn't do any good to freak out. However in my emails I'm trying to make my frustration and disappointment very apparent. My service advisor has said he wishes more customers were like me :ROFLMAO:

If such a thing is possible, a new long block or crate motor would be called for. You mentioned that the problem was with remanufactured parts - seems like that's the main issue. Are these parts being remanufactured in Japan?
My dealer believes that the transmissions at least are being remanufactured in Mexico. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that statement. I asked the dealer also if we have another failure if we could demand a long block and he said that isn't likely. Subaru likes to replace failed components and that's it. Maybe if it fails again I'll drive it till the heads are trashed and a rod goes through the block. Then maybe they won't have a choice.

I will be very disappointed if Subaru doesn't support you on this, as they seem to be very supportive on issues with newer vehicles, and yours isn't that old. Hope things turn out better soon, and if I were you I would probably jump ship and never look back, too.
I've been pretty disappointed so far. They did reimburse me almost $2000 in rental costs but that's really it. They have not done anything to easy my anxiety going forward. They MIGHT be willing to reimburse me for 1 year of roadside assistance if it's not too expensive. I think I've decided when we get the car back it's most likely getting traded in on a not Subaru. I also have a 2014 Legacy that has 73k on it and as soon as that starts giving major problems, it's going away. I'm not going through all this again. It burns oil and I've noticed some stuff with the transmission too. :cry:

Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
I hate to say this however when it gets running, SELL IT. I know you do not want car payments and that is important. Sometimes it is better to get rid of the problem. My rule is, if a vehicle starts giving problems from the beginning, if it is used, get rid of it. If it is new a bit of creativity is needed to move on without losing. Have you discussed with Subaru or your dealer the possibility of getting a great deal on a CPO or maybe a new Subaru ? 0 % financing. Your problem is not only a Subaru problem. It is industry wide. Even the expensive "high quality" foreign makes have many problems.
The industry wants people into a new vehicle as soon as possible. When the rebuilds are done in Mexico, there is a reason they are done there.Cheap labor with horrible quality control. Rebuilders here in the USA are not great either.
Subaru is a good product, so are some other brands. In my opinion having a really good warranty is a must with the technology in these vehicles. Wish you the best.

Registered
I hate to say this however when it gets running, SELL IT. I know you do not want car payments and that is important. Sometimes it is better to get rid of the problem. My rule is, if a vehicle starts giving problems from the beginning, if it is used, get rid of it. If it is new a bit of creativity is needed to move on without losing. Have you discussed with Subaru or your dealer the possibility of getting a great deal on a CPO or maybe a new Subaru ? 0 % financing. Your problem is not only a Subaru problem. It is industry wide. Even the expensive "high quality" foreign makes have many problems.
The industry wants people into a new vehicle as soon as possible. When the rebuilds are done in Mexico, there is a reason they are done there.Cheap labor with horrible quality control. Rebuilders here in the USA are not great either.
Subaru is a good product, so are some other brands. In my opinion having a really good warranty is a must with the technology in these vehicles. Wish you the best.
Greetings all. Figured some of you may like to hear about the absolute train wreck I've been dealing with since September of last year.

TL;DR Shortblocks replaced due to oil burning have been junk. Car has been at dealer for 106+ days since october of last year. Subaru can't make good parts.

OG Post starts below 馃憞

Back story. Early 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited. Bought brand new.

Like most 2.5 of that vintage, it burned oil. I slowed it down a bit by switching to a 5w-30 but after a while it still burned. Finally it seemed like an oil consumption test would confirm that I had an excessive oil burning problem and I could get a new block. Did the test and they confirmed it was eligible for a new short block. I was happy. I'd get a new block and hopefully keep driving this thing into the future. The plan when we bought the car was to drive it "forever" and not have car payments for a few years once it was paid off. I mean it's a Subaru, they are built to last right? :rolleyes:

October 5th of last year the car went to the dealer and had the block replaced. In the midst of that repair somehow a cam gear broke when they first started it and wrecked all the valves so it had to come back out and get that fixed. After we got the car back, things were good for a few months. March of this year it went back in because we were smelling oil burning. I honestly expected this as everyone is human and things get missed. The head gasket on the driver side was leaking. so they replaced that and cleaned it all up. During the head gasket replacement, the dealer was finally able to replicate the transmission issue I had been complaining about. When you hit the gas, there would basically be no power. It was still running, it was trying to go, and eventually it would shift, or go into gear or something and move. This was a huge safety issue as we live near several busy roads and my wife needs to make a left across traffic and sometimes you just have to go when you have a opening. Multiple times she literally was stranded across several lanes of traffic because the car would not move. Scary.

So they replaced the transmission. After that I still had complaints of jerking/stuttering when going up a hill at lower speeds. I complained once, they said it was normal and that's all they have been able to look into it. Keep reading..........

A short time after, we were smelling oil burning again. It was leaking from the driver side head gasket again. Back to the dealer it goes. Dealer says it's residual oil leaking from the top of the engine from the faulty head gasket. Cleaned, drove it for a few days, say it's good. It wasn't and the same thing a few weeks later. This time they yank the heads, measure the block and find it's not straight. So yet another short block get's installed.

Covid hits and my wife starts working from home. Our outback doesn't get used much. Every time we would start the car it would tap/knock like it was lower on oil. I also should note that my dealer was **** bent on not giving me my car back until they were satisfied it was right. They have been really good through this whole thing actually. Anyway, I ignore the noise because I figure they must have heard it with all the driving they did and it was normal. It wasn't.

We put about 400 miles on the new block and July 1st we embark on a trip 5 hours away to my buddies camp in Upstate NY. We stop at a rest area on i87 and as I accelerate back on to the highway, I hear it. knock knock knock knock. I ignore it. Thinking to myself, Nope I didn't just hear that. There's no way there is something wrong. I go to pass a car, and the knock get's louder. Car is way down on power. I have my wife find the nearest dealer which thankfully is less than 10 miles away in Kingston, NY. I limp it to the dealer.

They promptly tell me I am welcome to leave it but they can't get to it for 10 days and the rental companies are a short walk down the road. Really? After some back and forth with my home dealer and Subaru corporate I end up having to rent a car on my own to continue on our way. We are literally right between our house and camp. I had Subaru escalate the situation as I am not happy and they should have given me a rental or something.

Still here? A few days into our vacation we get a call from Subaru, they are keeping tabs on the situation and we also get a call from the Kingston dealer. The engine blew up! 400 miles and it failed! So Subaru will now cover up to $2000 in our rental costs and they will get a new block ordered. Well that takes forever to get in due to shipping, covid, blah blah blah. The dealer discovers that the block that blew up was not remanufactured properly. It was rebuilt too "tight" and it destroyed a main bearing which sent metal all through the engine. They are sending the heads to a machine shop to get thoroughly cleaned. Machine shop calls the dealer and tells them the metal has damaged the cam seals and carriers. The cams are binding up and not turning. So they need to order new seals and carriers.

Still reading, wow you must be bored lol. I called the dealer, slightly hopeful it will be ready to pick up today but knowing it won't be. They don't even have the parts yet! They are backordered due to quality issues! Are you kidding me? Quality issues AGAIN! This entire mess from the very beginning has been due to garbage quality!!!! My car since going in for the first short block replacement has been at a dealer for 106 days and counting. Over 33% of the time since it was replaced.

I've asked Subaru for an extended warranty on the engine and transmission due to all these quality issues and they denied me. They said maybe they would cover a year of roadside assistance, but I need to get a quote and they can submit the cost for review. I have sent Subaru another email today saying I wish they would just buy the car from me so I can be done with it. I doubt they will but I have zero faith in this company anymore. I expressed that these quality issues are incredibly frustrating and unacceptable. I'm waiting on a reply. They can't even send their dealers viable parts to complete repairs. They aren't willing to extend warranties probably because they know they are junk and will lose even more money.

This isn't an isolated problem either apparently. My local dealer has been pretty candid with me. Probably because I haven't freaked out on them. After all this is Subaru corporates fault, not theirs. They haven been having issues with part quality lately and even had to replace a transmission in another customers crosstrek 3 times because the remans were bad! They had to demand a brand new one to finally fix the problem.

I'm really upset by this whole thing. We talked Subaru up to everyone who asked. We have had family and friends buy Subaru based on what we said. I feel like we have been let down and honestly, made to look a little stupid due to all this. I now question the reliability of my 2014 Legacy which also burns oil and also has started to do some weird transmission things. I don't know that I'll get it fixed because of this fiasco. We may not even keep the Outback once we finally get it back because my trust in these remanufactured parts is gone. If i can't trust a car, I don't know that I can keep it. It screws up our long term plans of not having car payments, and It's not a great time to get a new car due to all the other mess going on in the world. We also have a transmission that may be bad too, but we haven't been able to get that checked or drive it enough to see if it's a problem since it's been in the shop so much.

It also stinks my car is 3 hours away and it will be up to me to my time to go pick it up when it's done. When it blew up I asked them to tow it back home and they wouldn't do it so I doubt they will transport it back when it's done.

If you read this whole thing, thanks. I wrote this all out to vent and also let the community what's going on and to see if anyone else had issues like have. It's so disappointing. I doubt we will be sticking with Subaru going forward 馃槩
almost unbelievable, the better part of a year making the vehicle right!??! You have The patience of Job!

i am not sorry to say subaru dropped the ball a owes you a reasonable deal a new New OB....

Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
After posting your issues on this forum it may be too late BUT you need to engage the services of a good attorney who is familiar with these types of motor vehicle problems and the lack of a resolution from the manufacturer.

Subaru owes you a BRAND NEW vehicle due to the multiple failure of your vehicle AND the stress and duress you have suffered over the past year.

In Australia you would struggle to get this outcome BUT in the USA I would think this would not be too difficult to negotiate with the correct attorney.

Seagrass

Registered
After posting your issues on this forum it may be too late BUT you need to engage the services of a good attorney who is familiar with these types of motor vehicle problems and the lack of a resolution from the manufacturer.

Subaru owes you a BRAND NEW vehicle due to the multiple failure of your vehicle AND the stress and duress you have suffered over the past year.

In Australia you would struggle to get this outcome BUT in the USA I would think this would not be too difficult to negotiate with the correct attorney.

Seagrass
I think your expectations are a bit lofty. OP's story didn't start until the vehicle was 6 years old. He will spend more on an attorney than the value of the vehicle.

Personally I would pick it up from the dealer and it would be traded for something else by the time I got home.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
We have been discussing the option of getting rid of it once it is fixed. And as someone stated above, a warranty is a big deal to me now. For that reason we are looking heavily at Hyundai. It stinks that all these brands have so many problems now. Technology advanced faster than they could handle and make reliable.

TBH I'm not sure I will own another Subaru. At least not for a long time. The only way I would get a new one is if they gave me a substantial warranty for free. 10/100k at the minimum for the power train. We have had a 2020 Outback as a loaner and were not impressed. It has decent power but I hate the CVT even more with those stupid simulated shifts. It makes the car slower and I can't imagine it wouldn't hurt the longevity a bit too. The interior isn't as good either. They took away a ton of "cubby" space with the infotainment monstrosity. Why can't we just have buttons and knobs anymore?

Getting a lawyer right now isn't an option. This has been such a hassle at this point I don't need that on top of it. As of now I'm honestly just done worrying about it. I'm not going to email Subaru anymore, I'm not going to call the dealer anymore. It will be done when it's done and there is nothing I can do about it so I'm not going to add that stress into my day to day. Subaru clearly isn't going to go out of their way to try and make this right.

Registered
The problem is endemic to all the brands.....trying to integrate computing and networking on a mobile platform with extraordinary multiples in data sensing, acquisition, correlation and management is not the auto industry鈥榮 forte.

my personal opinion is going from Subaru to Hyundai will be regrettedon the long term.....they鈥檝e come a long way, But there are better option out there .... unless you are shopping on price point.

Registered
The problem is endemic to all the brands.....trying to integrate computing and networking on a mobile platform with extraordinary multiples in data sensing, acquisition, correlation and management is not the auto industry鈥榮 forte.

my personal opinion is going from Subaru to Hyundai will be regrettedon the long term.....they鈥檝e come a long way, But there are better option out there .... unless you are shopping on price point.
But no one is including a better warranty and I think that is the OP's concern.

Registered
But no one is including a better warranty and I think that is the OP's concern.
If you mean a better warranty that requires owners to bring their vehicles in for all 鈥漵cheduled and required service,鈥 sure....add up the cost of all the fluff service and it鈥榣l far exceed the cost of an extended 10-year Subaru service contract. Hyundai doesn鈥檛 give ya anything for free....

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
If you mean a better warranty that requires owners to bring their vehicles in for all 鈥漵cheduled and required service,鈥 sure....add up the cost of all the fluff service and it鈥榣l far exceed the cost of an extended 10-year Subaru service contract. Hyundai doesn鈥檛 give ya anything for free....
I took at a look at Hyundai's warranty booklet from their website and didn't find anything about having to bring the car to them for service. Just to hang on to receipts in case a maintenance issue is suspected. Maybe I missed. I also see that that their warranty applies to the original owner only. Something to think about if I go used. But I'm going to think positive and hope our Outback is right and wont give us any other issues once we finally get it back.

I've also though of staying Subaru but going older, before the FB25 and CVT became common. If/when I replace my Legacy I'm going electric.

Registered
The 10-year, 100k mile powertrain warranty is very limited to lubricated components (total engine included) and shafts.... and is no different to the typical CPO warranties out there.... considering that, purchasing a used vehicle with CPO coverage is a better bet that buying new because out the depreciated price point..... of course if you look around, you鈥檒l find them pushing their extended warranty on top of their 10-year Powertrain Warranty.... the 10-year warranty program presumes people don鈥檛 keep their vehicles longer than 7-years

Registered
when I bought my 14 legacy in 16, I was able to purchase a gold warranty that extended the bumper to bumper warranty for another 4 years 60K miles. It paid for it's self in short order

New CVT
New Intake manifold gaslets
New Lambada sensor
New MAF sensor
New Thermostat

SOA stepped up and honored the extended warranty when the company would not and redid the front timing cover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts