Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bridgestone Duelers had 38k on them and were basically done. I could have squeezed a few more miles out of them, but I didn't see the point. I replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S yesterday. I've owned enough cars and replaced enough tires to see differences, but this difference was among the greatest. Both the handling and the ride improved tremendously. But don't take my word for it; my wife called me on the way to work this morning to let me know that she was impressed. I don't think I see any Bridgestones in my future.

Reactions: FlagRS

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
I have never owned the Duelers.

However, I think the Michelin's you mentioned s*ck. You might like the handling, I found them hard, stiff and noisy. On a quieter and lower car than on Outback...maybe OK. The Duelers must be an awful tire.

Keep in mind I am basing my experiences on a Gen3 OB. ( before I started my suspension mods) I ended up with Continental Extreme Contact DWS. These are known to be quiet, supple and great traction and handling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any experience with the Continental tires myself, but I like the Michelins very much and they were rated #1 in their category on The Tire Rack so I'm not sure why the discreptancy.. To each his own, and you are right, the Dueler's were unimpressive from day 1.

Reactions: FlagRS

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Continental tires myself, but I like them and they were rated #1 in their category on The Tire Rack. To each his own.
I am sure the Gen5 is way quieter than the Gen3 from road noise and impact standpoint. The unibody and subframe application is much stronger and more rigid. Electric assist steering is the dampening icing on the cake.

I suppose most of what I dislike is absorbed away in a Gen5...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, in fairness the tire you mentioned in listed as "Ultra High Performance All-Season" while the Michelin Premier tires are a Grand Touring All-Season tire.

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Also, in fairness the tire you mentioned in listed as "Ultra High Performance All-Season" while the Michelin Premier tires are a Grand Touring All-Season tire.
Yeah...I know.

In all fairness the Continetial True Contact (comparable) that I have on the one car s*ck in the same way. They handle fine...the tread is quiet. But, they are hard as sh*t. They bang and slap over cracks and seams. I hope to swap them out for something else when I can afford to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...I know.

In all fairness the Continetial True Contact (comparable) that I have on the one car s*ck in the same way. They handle fine...the tread is quiet. But, they are hard as sh*t. They bang and slap over cracks and seams. I hope to swap them out for something else when I can afford to.
Are you sure we are comparing the same Michelins? I ask as these tires are like butter compared to the Bridgestone tires. They were hard, didn't handle well, and I'm not impressed with 38k and done.

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Are you sure we are comparing the same Michelins? I ask as these tires are like butter compared to the Bridgestone tires. They were hard, didn't handle well, and I'm not impressed with 38k and done.
I actually had the Primacy MXV4, my mistake. The Premier look to be a better dry performer.

However this comparison from a Camry owner suggests Premier are they are more harsh than the MXV4.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 vs Michelin Premier A/S on 7th Gen Camry XLE - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

At least we cleared this all up between us...no one sles seems to care yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Wait, you're going to quote the Camry folks?
It was literally the 1st google search that came up. That is as far as I went.

You know, the Subaru and Yota's are remarkable similar under their skirts. Yoyo's actually have better sound deadening. And saddly, OBs are starting to become pretty vanilla.

The new 2018 Camry looks angry and hungry. Like it wants to eat your babies vs. take them to day care. 301 HP ...Whoop.

https://www.toyota.com/camry/?addis...er&gclid=CLm1i5zpytYCFeW8MgodFzwIOQ&gclsrc=ds

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was literally the 1st google search that came up. That is as far as I went.

You know, the Subaru and Yota's are remarkable similar under their skirts. Yoyo's actually have better sound deadening. And saddly, OBs are starting to become pretty vanilla.

The new 2018 Camry looks angry and hungry. Like it wants to eat your babies vs. take them to day care. 301 HP ...Whoop.

https://www.toyota.com/camry/?addis...er&gclid=CLm1i5zpytYCFeW8MgodFzwIOQ&gclsrc=ds
Yes, the Camry has adopted the catfish mouth of sibling Lexus, but is that an attractive thing? Nope. I'm going to be taking a look at the Genesis G70 come springtime, which doesn't have the wrong wheels powering the car.

I've got the MXV4's on the minivanster and they are fine tires. I think the Premier tires are better or maybe it's just driving the OB vs. the van.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts