Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5 SE (UK spec)
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my 2nd subaru 2005 outback 2.5 SE and we bought it as it had the LPG conversion already done. So I was wondering who on here has also LPG'd their outback (or legacy) or drives one? And what are your experiences?

Mines a Uk spec given I hide in Scotland.

Loving the fact every time I fill up its less than half the price of petrol

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Not a lot companies do conversions in the Colonies. Finding LPG filling stations is difficult too.
Lastly, our EPA may not approve of conversions in late model OBDII vehicles.
I could be wrong about this, just thoughts off the top of my head.
LPG is more of a European thing.
I'm more interested in an Outback that runs on firewood.
May need a baja for this conversion though..

·
Registered
2011 Legacy 2.0L
56 Posts
I am an owner of Outback with LPG conversion. I have bought the car in 2009 and the car is from 2006. I have driven almost 100k with this car in four jears on LPG without anny problem with LPG and i am living and driving most of time in The Netherlands, but also in Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia. In all of this countries i am able to get LPG.With some preparation of myself.Out of The Netherlands is LPG not that common fuel and it's needed to make an plan for fuelstops on your route and to care for reducing nipple for "Italian"an "Germany"refueling nipple to be abble to refuel.
LPG price is much lower than petrol, but in Holland are high taxes for cars with LPG so there are not that much cars converted. And number of conversions is still going down (cause of enviroment demands)?! I doubt it, but i am in an minor group.
I am werry pleasd with my car on LPG.

·
Registered
166 Posts
And in The Colonies, I believe that there may be issues running untaxed LPG, not sure but I would certainly check before doing it.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I worked in my schools maintenence department one summer. All of WVU's vans and trucks were converted to run on both LPG and gas. They had 2 school owned filling stations, not once did I put LPG in the vehicles. I talked to my manager and he said by the time you drive out ot the filling station and get back, with traffic, it wasn't worth it. Also the range was much less on LPG, so they needed filled up much more often.

As mentioned though, LPG stations are few and far between, so it would very hard to have a solely LPG vehicle here in the US. That's the same problem we'll run into with any alternative fuel. We've had 100 years to build an infrastructure to support gasoline, most people want to replace it in 5 with an alternative.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
LPG conversions were popular 30-40 years ago when American vehicles were big, heavy and excessive V8's equipped with carburetors.
Some are still excessive and big but none have carburetors.

·
Registered
2011 Legacy 2.0L
56 Posts
LPG conversions were popular 30-40 years ago when American vehicles were big, heavy and excessive V8's equipped with carburetors.
Some are still excessive and big but none have carburetors.
Carburetor is NOT an "issue".
my Outback is equiped with injectors and it works even beter on LPG.The swich from petrol to LPG or vv is much faster than with carburetor.In that time you were obligated to swich between petrol and LPG wait:confused::confused: to moment you car don't want to go and swich to LPG, vv was same work:gasp:.
Now with injectors you feel almost nothing.
With "old" systems you feel moment you were running out of LPG so you must "run" to swich on petrol. Now instalation does all that work for you automaticly.
With "old"systems you were able to start on LPG(wich i realy do like) even in the wery cold conditions[if you was rushing and push the trothle to much you LPG converter get frozen so you were unable to drive for next hour( converter must be defrost to work again properly)] you were obligated to drive wery carefuly and kick trothle wery softly untill engine get some temperature.
In USA oil comany's are to powerfull and they don't alow use of LPG.
The price of LPG is less than half of pertol or diesel and is not that interesting
to make it and keep it working (Almost every tankstation have to sale LPG to be financial interesting).
Ohterwise LPG systems are sensitiv for bad mounting and maintenance.
So control of build of this systems and maietnance MUST be wery tight and strong.
It have to be filled into registration papiers of the car because of fire.
People are afraid of explosions of this systems because you can seen in a lot of films explosions of gas in homes and this works to people's maind also for cars.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
^^^^^ No apologies needed. I understood everything you said, that's more than I can say for a few others around here.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts