Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing new outback. I have driven both the 2.5i and 3.6r. Both are lacking in power as compared to the diesel truck I am selling. While my head says 2.5i my heart is saying I will be disappointed with the lack of performance. I am struggling with the fact that the 3.6r will cost more and get worse gas mileage.

So with that being said, why did you buy a 2.5i, do you wish you bought the 3.6r and do you have any regrets purchasing the 2.5i?

Thank you, I am looking forward to hearing your stories.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Go with your heart. You know you want the 3.6 and yes you will be disappointed with the 2.5. Unless you have a long work commute it won't be that much difference in gas $.

Also I did not like the CVT much when I test drove it. The 3.6 has standard automatic transmission...it feels smoother in comparison to the CVT. Give the 3.6 some gas and hard accelerate...you'll feel the power.

The 2.5 is a good value for the money through and gets great mileage for mid-size SUV.
Plus the emissions are excellent, probably never have issues passing smog check.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i kinda wish i got the 3.6, but i did the right thing getting a 2.5. the 6 cylinder would allow me to reach my cruising speed slightly faster but then get less mpgs. i guess the extra power is nice, but not worth the extra money. look how many 6 cylinders sell in comparison to the 4 cylinder. the 4 cylinder makes a little more noise, big deal...

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would think it would be one heck of a change to get used to coming from a kick-you-in-the-pants tourqie as crap diesel to ... well ... anything not a diesel.

I love my 3.6. And the milage is coming up fast. On my current tank it is reading 25.8MPG. But I've been driving it like a grandma here of late - and on cruise as much as possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same here. Drove both but 3.6 was the way to go. Drive normal, use CC and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Then when you need a little extra it's there.

·
Registered
951 Posts
It's a Subaru Outback, not a sportscar, dragcar, v-8 whatever, but rather a low torque family hauler. Yes, even the 3.6 is depending on the yardstick.

The only thing I expect out of our OB is traction and reliability...at least the traction part has been reliable. lol My wife likes her car.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It's a Subaru Outback, not a sportscar, dragcar, v-8 whatever ...
+1

And BTW, 70 lb-ft per liter torque is VERY respectable -- not to
mention more horsepower than the original Porsche 911S.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I replaced a larger and more powerful vehicle with the 4 and have no regrets but it doesn't mean what I value is right for others.

Same thoughts occurred to me because I've had some very powerful vehicles but utility, safety and being practical prevailed. I just listen to the nice stereo instead of an engine roar and my left knee appreciates the CVT.

We tested vehicles that were identical for all but the engine which helped with the decision. After that I did another look at the fueleconomy.gov site.

Compare Side-by-Side

My real world results are much like the EPA test.

Enjoy your new car regardless.

·
Registered
198 Posts
After more than 1 000 000 km with diesel (since early '80's), I've been tired of VW products, not diesel engines. So, I changed my mind and bought a '12 Outback MT, 4-cyl. Yes, it's truth that Subaru engines are underpowered, very, very low torque. When I could reach 75 mph on top of the hill with a '06 Jetta TDI, the Subaru can't better do than 60 mpg on top of the same hill. When I burned 5,5l/100 km (42 mpg) of diesel fuel with the Jetta, the Outback now consumes never better than 7,6 /100 km (31 mpg). But Subaru is more confy, more reliable and has a better value than VW's products. More, it is a wonderful all-wheel-drive car!

If you're living in a flat country, don't hesitate, the 4-cyl Outback is a perfect all purpose vehicle.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Before my Outback, I drove a 5.3L Silverado. One of the first things I did with my 2.5 OB was climb 7000 feet with 2 bikes on the roof, and 1 inside, with 2 of my buddies to go mountain biking. It was definitely working going up the hills, but it made it just fine. No, I couldn't quite maintain 75 like I used to in my truck, but I also used about 1/4 the gas. It was such a comfortable ride, and even with so much extra weight, the OB was quite a bit more fun to drive through the curves than my truck. Not going to lie, I miss the big V8 sometimes, but I sure as **** don't when I put 60 bucks in my tank every 2 weeks.

One other thing to consider, I have the 6 speed manual. Have you considered that option? I "drag" raced a CVT 2.5, the manual is quite a bit quicker.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I sold my Ford Super Duty with performance program, 4" exhaust improved intake and it was making considerable amount of torque and horsepower. It also weighs over 7000 pounds vs the 3750 or so for the Outback.
I bought the 3.6L because the 2.5L was noisey and I tow. If the 2.5L would have been less noisy I would have purchased that engine.
I can tell you that I get 23-24 mixed 70% city and 30& highway and when reversing those about 26 mpg much better than I expected.
All depends on your requirements but my Outback has exceeded my expectations...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I am looking at purchasing new outback. I have driven both the 2.5i and 3.6r. Both are lacking in power as compared to the diesel truck I am selling. While my head says 2.5i my heart is saying I will be disappointed with the lack of performance. I am struggling with the fact that the 3.6r will cost more and get worse gas mileage.

So with that being said, why did you buy a 2.5i, do you wish you bought the 3.6r and do you have any regrets purchasing the 2.5i?

Thank you, I am looking forward to hearing your stories.
I race small sailboats which means lots of towing miles all year even in foul weather. I replaced a 4runner with my first 2.5 nonturbo 5spd mt legacy gt in 2001. 180,000 miles later years of towing from San Diego over the Vine in snow or 100 degree weather to Seattle. Lakes in the Sierra then the wife getting crazy with big Triathlons and all the crap you haul for that. We sold the 2001 in great shape. We have a 2010 2.5 we tow our 980lb tent trailer and have hauled our 1700lb boat. Wife and I did Napa wine tour last week 31mpg! The 1700lb boat 16mpg with head wind 70mph. 21mpg no wind 60-65mph. The tent trailer we run 26mpg flat 65mph. 21mpg in the hills car hardly even notices. 2.5 is not a drag racer at the lights but it kicks ass on road trips and every day around town crap.

I have a Sequoia we rarely drive it if we can fit in the Subaru. My major complaint are the Continental tires. Just replaced ours at 40k the BFG touring tires are all huge improvement.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I drove both, didn't feel the 3.6 was worth the extra $10k (this is when I was looking at a 6MT 2.5 and the only 3.6 was a limited model just a few grand shy of $40k -ridiculous for a subaru). Only reason I ended up with a CVT was because I drove an OB with eyesight and had to have it.
For the size of this vehicle, it gets outstanding gas mileage. On flat two lanes out in wheat country, you can get 35mpg and the CVT always keeps the rpm nice and low. On the interstate, you'll hover around 30mpg and still be running a lower rpm than the 5 speed is capable of running the 3.6 at.

Had it been my only car, I MAY have considered the 3.6 more seriously for the extra power it offers. However, I have a 500hp Chrysler that can manage the same gas mileage as a 3.6 Outback (also capable of managing far worse) and I can actually brag about it being properly quick.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Yes, it's truth that Subaru engines are underpowered, very, very low torque.
Actually, that's not true. The 2.5i's torque and power are both
at the high end of the distribution among mainstream 2.5 liter
automobile engines.

OTOH, torque at the transmission output shaft is often low --
but only because the overall drivetrain gear ratio is rather tall.
For example, 5th gear on the OB is taller than 6th gear on my
Miata -- even though the (170 hp) Miata is 1000 lb lighter.

Yes, the OB does feel wimpy if you let it droop below 2500 rpm.
OTOH, so does the Miata. RPMs are your friends.

Doubtless, Mother Soobie chose tall gearing for improved mpg,
(because few OB tire-kickers are looking for an autocross car).

...in a hurry? Downshift!

Looby

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I purchased the 2.5/CVT and couldn't be happier! I drove both models several times and for my needs the 4 cyl + CVT works perfectly and gas mileage is terrific. I find my Outback has plenty of power, even when on mountain passes, and the CVT keeps it in the powerband. I don't tow with mine and would only opt for the 6 cyl if I did tow.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm very happy with my '13 2.5 premium with the 6 speed manual transmission. The 2.5 has decent torque for a four cylinder. I often times forget that it is just a four cylinder while driving it. I also personally love the 6 speed transmission. I had a couple of small complaints with the 6mt at first but the complaints have mostly faded away the more I drive the car. I even learned the tall first gear will still pull the car through the trails that I routinely drive without a problem. I definitely wouldn't have been as happy with the 2.5 if I got the CVT.

With that being said, if I could've got the 3.6 engine with the exact same options as I got in my car and it wouldn't have cost a fortune, I would've got the 3.6. However, the 3.6 is only available in the base model or limited model which would have meant not having the options that I wanted or completely blowing my car budget.

Finally, my Outback 2.5 is what it is. It isn't fast and it isn't a truck with 4wd low but it is an excellent all purpose car for my wife and me. I have no regrets at this point with going with the 2.5.

My full disclosure is that I still own a quick motorcycle and a pickup so I'm not limited to just the Outback. I would've got a WRX instead of the Outback if I had to give up my motorcycle because neither the acceleration of the Outback 2.5 or 3.6 would've been enough to make me happy. The WRX still wouldn't be motorcycle fast but it would still be quick enough for me.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Went with the 2.5 for the mileage. IF I had wanted a six cylinder I likely wouldn't have even bought a Subaru. I find the 2.5 adequate for what I need. I have a old F150 I use part time for towing the camper and boat.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
146 Replies
62 Participants
awd-gg
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing