Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came from the dealer and wanted to order a Red OB Limited. I really wanted White, but only the light tan (stone) interior is available. Same for Dark Blue. I ask because I worked at a Hyundai Dealer before retiring and White w/ Gray interior was the most popular combination. How would I find out if gray or any other interior options will be available for 2014?

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Aftermarket seat covering is pretty dang good for folks who really must have a special color.
Hyundia made leaps and bounds gains in the US market by adding options and content to their cars making them attractive to people who may have otherwise passed on the brand.

Subaru is one of the smallest automakers in the US with a very solid brand which case limiting options keeps costs down and doesn't really have much of an impact on their sales numbers.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Limited -GONE!
73 Posts
.... I really wanted White, but only the light tan (stone) interior is available. ....
You must be in the US. You can get white w/charcoal interior in Canada & Europe. We also wanted white/charcoal as that's been my combo for our last few vehicles, but had to settle for silver to get charcoal.

Why we can't have white/charcoal...who knows.?

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium 2.5 6 speed
44 Posts
I agree....I also wanted grey and have black....it shows every spec of dirt/scuff, etc....not the color to have an interior with three kids.....Subaru needs to make gray an option.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
My wife's grandmother refuses to buy a car with an interior that isn't grey. It's a bit drab to me but to each their own.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 premium, NON pzev!
43 Posts
Good Grief!!!

"Why can't I have a grey interior"???

Ummm, let me take a "W.A.G." at it. Oh I know, it's because Subaru doesn't offer that option. Is that right? If what makes the difference in buying a particular auto or not, is the interior color option, why did you buy a auto that did not have that all important choice? If all else is good with it but the interior color you prefer, there are auto upholstery shops that can make it really your$$. I mean what if you'd wanted a lime green interior or burgandy (aka purple), should they be offering that? I don't know, maybe you have a point I just haven't pondered with an open mind. ha ha:D:D

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
They don't make grey because the boring-ness would put the driver asleep and they would crash lol. I'm just kidding. Its mostly to keep costs down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting that the new '14 Forester has a gray interior for most exterior colors. Maybe someone at SBA realized that there is a market for gray interiors. I'll wait for the '14 Outback colors/interiors to be announced before deciding.

·
Registered
BLACKKKKKK 2012 Outback 2.5i base w alloy wheel and cold weather pkg
10 Posts
I have a 2012 Black outback with light beige interior. Looked fantastic when new. I knew i wa sin for trouble though. 18,000 miles later my tim hortons coffee has slurped out of the cup when cornering and now have some coffee stains on the drivers seat. My 17 year old kid managed to drop crumbs of home made fudge on the back seat, spilled a cooler of water in the back and have a nice water stain across the rear seat while driving through the mountains of Pennsylvania last summer.

At this point, its like OH well... it is what it is. Gonna try and clean the upholstery when he weather warms. I would have preferred grey, but am guessing the coffee, fudge and water would have stained it too.

While I knew light tan was gonna be prone to dirt and sain, I plowed through and bought the car I wanted. Still love the car. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would take a White car with black interior. I am going to go to the Dealer and see what we can do to get one. I mean, they have black interiors in the factory for red, silver, etc. cars, what could be so difficult to put a black interior in a white car?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,642 Posts
I just came from the dealer and wanted to order a Red OB Limited. I really wanted White, but only the light tan (stone) interior is available. Same for Dark Blue. I ask because I worked at a Hyundai Dealer before retiring and White w/ Gray interior was the most popular combination. How would I find out if gray or any other interior options will be available for 2014?
...you could just get the white interior...wait a while and it will get grayer as it gets dirty...I know...smart ass. White should never be an option in a car interior. Too easy to get dirty. BLACK is where it's at! :29:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
This has been an annoying Subaru habit since the dawn of time. Only offering specific color interiors with specific colored exteriors. It's probably driven by manufacturing costs. Regardless it's really annoying. When I bought my 2012 I really wanted a Cypress Green exterior but that required a tan interior (yuck!).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Not an option. Get the SAP and move on.
+1. The saddle brown interior is beautiful. Still getting endless compliments from everyone who rides in my car.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
This has been an annoying Subaru habit since the dawn of time. Only offering specific color interiors with specific colored exteriors. It's probably driven by manufacturing costs. Regardless it's really annoying.
Not just Subaru. Practically every auto manufacturer does the same.

One of my co-workers didn't like the options available, so she had the dealer send her Legacy out to an interior shop, and had a custom leather interior installed, with custom stitching to her specification.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
just order 2 cars.
One with the interior style you want
One with the body color you want and options.
Then, swap the entire interiors.
Keep the one you made.
Sell the other one with ZERO miles priced a hair under dealer price.
WIN for being smart.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
120 Posts
All our Hondas and Toyotas have/had gray interiors. My only complaint against Subaru is no gray. Feel for ya.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts