Subaru Outback Forums banner

Why Does Subaru Not Offer Drowsy Driver Alerts?

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  stonepa 
#1 ·
I recently attended an AARP-sponsored Smart DriverTek class where the many new auto safety and other related technologies were discussed. I was pleased to find out that my new Outback had all of the features EXCEPT one: Drowsy Driver Alerts. Is there some reason Subaru has chosen not to make this feature available?

#2 ·
EyeSight in the 2015+ Legacy/Outback includes a "Lane Sway Warning" feature that is a form of drowsy/inattentive/intoxicated driver alert. This function is not the same as "Lane Departure Warning."

#3 ·
It's coming on the next gen cars, IIRC.

It's been posted or linked here before but the nitty gritty is that the new cars will have facial recognition and can tell if you're starting to bob and weave. The recognition feature will also be able to tell the difference between you and me and therefore when you get into the car and it recognizes you, it will adjust the seat to the saved preference and call up your preset radio stations. There might be something else it does but it will read your face and know when you're starting to go down for the count.

Patience, Grasshopper.

#6 ·
the new redesigned Forester coming out this fall. I think has it.

so most should follow.

(unsure about the today's Ascent)

Reactions: Sandbag
#8 ·
2019 Forester WILL have this technology, expect it to follow in 2020 Outback.

@JohnS43 this is very new technology in the automotive industry, if you are going to ask ask why Subaru is not offering it on the current Outback you might as well ask why EVERY vehicle is not offering it. For Subaru to be offering it on a low price point vehicle like the 2019 Forester is in fact being at the forefront of the industry at this time.

#9 ·
If it's a new safety feature Subaru will be out trying to make it an option or a standard feature

At least Subaru isn't like Toyota and not adding Apple Carplay or Android Auto. Not to mention the 4runners 40-50K price tag with an interior that's straight out of 2008.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.